Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2013, 10:34 AM   #1

Changing from Carpet to Flooring/Tile

My coach is 12 years old, and the carpet is starting to look a little shoddy. It's been vacuumed and shampoo'd regularly, but it's starting to show its age. Thinking of ripping it out, and replacing with either flooring or tile. Any suggestions on how best to do it (DIY or contract it out), what has worked best for others, etc. Don't want an "dang it - I shouldnl't have started" moment half way thru the process.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2013, 10:58 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We are thinking of the same project with our Damon...the carpet isn't bad quality or anything, but carpet does wearout after years of use.

First, I suggest that you do a search (function on the top tool bar) on this forum for words like "tile floor" or "carpet replacement" or similar. It's been done many times and done very well by others here. Some have even installed real ceramic tiles!

I believe that the normal vibration and flexing in a RV would be problematic for many flooring systems, and since I have personal experience with (reno in 2 bathroom of my studs and stucco house) Traffic Master "Allure" flooring (available at Home Depot, Lumber Liquidators, etc.), that is what I will be using. See:
TrafficMaster Allure*at The Home Depot

Allure is so SIMPLE to install, they have SO MANY styles and colors, and it wears like nothing I have ever seen (Safeway/Vons grocery uses it on thier produce section floors), plus it can be installed over the existing laminate flooring that already covers the entire coach floor.

Best of luck!

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:14 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
X2 every thing Scarab0088 said plus

Old 01-17-2013, 05:28 PM   #4

I too am planning a flooring redo for our '06 Damon Astoria PE. Unlike the OP ours came from the factory with porcelain tile in the entry region and kitchen/vanity/bath areas. In a nutshell we hate it, in the winter porcelain tile is extremely cold! It's so cold that I know if I remove and replace with synthetic/ceramic it would eliminate a lot of cold that lingers. It doesn't help that's it's ugly in our opinions.

We seen and researched the Allure and similar floors but my concern is that they are floating floors and would need to be glued down at the slide to prevent movement or lifting. I think i'm going to use cross-laminated engineered wood that has minimal expansion and can be glued down. Sealed around the perimeters it should be good for wet areas as well.
Razzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:09 PM   #5

Not trying to call anyone out, but this is direct from the Allure installation manual:

allure installation limitations: allure is for interior installations and only in temperature controlled environments. You cannot install allure in solariums/sunrooms, over carpets, or any exterior application including seasonal porches, camping trailers and boats. Avoid long term exposure to direct sunlight. Failure to properly shade allure from the effects of the sun can damage (buckle) the floor. allure is not intended for use on stairs or any vertical surface. Failure to follow these guidelines will void the warranty.

I added the bold and italics.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #6

I'm guessing most if not all synthetic flooring mfgrs state the same thing to cover their butts for warrenty purposes. People have been putting synthetic flooring in all kinds of non-approved places for years without much issue. I know for fact that many here have Allure in their rigs. Hell I put the cheapest laminate available in my brother-in-laws houseboat and it's still like new five years later and that's definately in a non-approved location!
Razzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:43 PM   #7

This has been discussed so many times. If the OP does the search here, he can see pictures and maybe even a video of what others have done and some of the problems and solutions. I would not use the Alure you can get at Home Depot as it is not the commecial grade used in other applications.

I would just say please do your research on this site. You can learn from many others who have come before you.
Dan DeBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:52 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wydglydrydr View Post
Not trying to call anyone out, but this is direct from the Allure installation manual:

allure installation limitations: allure is for interior installations and only in temperature controlled environments. You cannot install allure in solariums/sunrooms, over carpets, or any exterior application including seasonal porches, camping trailers and boats...Failure to follow these guidelines will void the warranty.

I added the bold and italics.
Not feeling called out...and, I'm no English Major, but the sentance structure above would make this contraction correct..."You cannot install Allure in (sic) any exterior application including (sic) camping trailers"

My Damon's Salon is not an exterior application in any stretch of the imagination. And, the Allure is my 2 home bathrooms have daily water exposure but after a few years of heavy use still looks great!

BTW, with the search idea - Allure looks pretty good in a RV and takes a beating pretty well too.
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 01-21-2013, 01:32 PM   #9

Thanks for all the comments/suggestions. I'll take a look at what others have done in the past and come up with a solution that works for us.
Again...thanks for opinions!
Old 01-21-2013, 08:41 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I have just completed replacing my carpet with Congoleum Air Step Plus vinyl. It is a fiberglass backed vinyl that is very flexible, won't crack and loose lay. You don't have to glue it. I had a little rolling action wher my slide roller was riding on the vinyl, so I tried a product call Rhino extra heavy duty double sided tape. I placed in on the subfloor to cover the whole path of the roller and it stopped the vinyl from moving. Easier then gluing the vinyl. I even did this work by myself. Son-in-law just helped me place the living room run before I had to tape it down. I will post pictures tomorrow. You can purchase the vinyl at Lowes. If anyone is interested or has questions feel free to call me 910-389-8865.

Bob
USMC (Ret)
2003 Damon Challenger.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:16 AM   #11

Flooring replacement

97 Beaver Monterey...cat 300....allison........we're having Vinyl Flooring installed this month.....replacing the old green carpet.....looks good and is reasonable cost wise......
Old 01-22-2013, 12:45 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackdog View Post
97 Beaver Monterey...cat 300....allison........we're having Vinyl Flooring installed this month.....replacing the old green carpet.....looks good and is reasonable cost wise......
Pictures - Pleeeeze
Best of luck on the install.
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 01-22-2013, 04:43 PM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, PICTURES please!!!
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:46 AM   #14

Vinyl Floor | Vinyl Sheet Flooring | Vinyl Sheet Floor from Armstrong
above web site has short video for ur preview.........
can't provide pictures right now as we are in myrtle beach, SC and our MH is back in Illinois......fixing it up for summer 2013!!
97 BEAVER Montery.....300 CAT...Allison