Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2014, 10:42 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Changing fuel filter

Re Cummins ISB275 fuel filter change. My concern is that when I take the old filter off and replace it I may cause the fuel line to become air bound. Iwill fill the new filter with fuel before putting it on. What else must I do to prevent this?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2014, 10:52 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by coventryhale View Post
Re Cummins ISB275 fuel filter change. My concern is that when I take the old filter off and replace it I may cause the fuel line to become air bound. Iwill fill the new filter with fuel before putting it on. What else must I do to prevent this?
Cummins , B 275 HP will be older , but knowing the exact year would help.
Is this a 12 valve engine ?
Are you sure you have only one fuel filter in the system?
Quite often there is a Cummins filter on the engine, and a Freightliner installed , fuel/water separator on the chassis.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:04 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Read you engine manual. It wil tell you to either put the filter on dry or to fill it. If it says to put it on dry, there will be a procedure on how to start the motor.

Mine goes on dry and after 3 turns of the ignition switch (without turning the starter) the filter is full and the motor ready to start
Old 07-04-2014, 11:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post

Mine goes on dry and after 3 turns of the ignition switch (without turning the starter) the filter is full and the motor ready to start
This works for ISB's 24 valve engines with an electric lift pump, and a single filter.
Need more info from the OP, about his engine.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:24 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It's a 1998 24 valve engine, the user manual is useless
Old 07-04-2014, 11:56 AM   #6

Thanks for getting back so soon, first year for the 24Valve in Dodge P/Us , that's where my experience lies. Carefully filling the filter, plug the center hole with your thumb, as you slowly pour the fuel into the outer holes; this way all the fuel you put in goes through the filter membrane and particles don't get into the very expensive VF-44 injection pump.
I'm assuming the filter housing is on the side of the engine ?
Have you looked for any kind of pre-filter on the frame?
You can do, a dry filter install then 3 cycles of the ignition key , the electric lift pump will run for 18 seconds each cycle. Then start the engine.
But I've heard of problems with this method and the factory filter head on the P/Us has a bleed screw , 10mm, wrench size that is loosened to allow the air to escape; and it's the fitting for lift pump testing.
If you have a frame mounted filter it must be pre-filled, as the lift pump is on the side of the engine and won't pump the air out of the filter.
Best bet; pre-fill the filter & do the key cycle.

If you go to your " User CP" opposite end of the blue bar from your " Log Out" and on the left side of the page click "Edit Signature " you can enter your coach info , and have it automatically appear below your posts, and you won't have to type it in every time. As mine does below.
If you have any problems with the start up, let me know and I'll walk you through , bleeding the injectors.

Tags
fuel