Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2010, 01:30 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Question Changing out MH bedroom....to a bunk house?

Has anyone ever modified (or know someone who has) thier bedroom from the queen bed configuration to a bunkhouse or other type of configuration?

Does this even sound like it is unattainable?

I have 7 children and would be best served by having a bunk house rather than one big bed in the back. Which would also allow us to let the kids watch thier movies/play video games when we have down time while camping.

Thanks!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2010, 03:57 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by momoflots21 View Post
Has anyone ever modified (or know someone who has) thier bedroom from the queen bed configuration to a bunkhouse or other type of configuration?

Does this even sound like it is unattainable?

I have 7 children and would be best served by having a bunk house rather than one big bed in the back. Which would also allow us to let the kids watch thier movies/play video games when we have down time while camping.

Thanks!!

We have a bunkhouse Berkshire that sleeps 8 which would leave you one short, but if you look around I think there are a number of Class C's that sleep more than 8.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:24 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi momoflots21,
I do not have an answer to your question as I have never done this. However, I'd like to suggest an alternative. There are toy hauler motor coaches available for the last several years. The rear of these coaches could easily be modified to a "dorm room" floor plan the kids would love. Parents would love this too. There is usually a door that can be closed between the rear kids room an the parents up front. This means parents do not need to watch the reruns of Hannah Montana every night. Go to Canyon Star Toy Hauler Floorplans | Newmar Corporation. Scroll down the page to model 3920. This is an example of my suggestion.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:40 PM   #4

We used to tow a pop up for the kids. That got lots of looks.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:34 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
I am sorry that I didn't mention that we have a '95 southwind.

Thanks for all of the ideas!
Old 10-20-2010, 04:00 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by momoflots21 View Post
I am sorry that I didn't mention that we have a '95 southwind.

Thanks for all of the ideas!
Remodeling the b/r is certainly feasable, perticularly if you're handy.

I also kind of like the towable idea. If you don't need a toad, pulling a popup or small TT can bey you a lot of beds!
Old 10-21-2010, 07:10 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I saw one for sale a while ago online.

The owners took out some front cabinet work and one of those tables that stick out from the wall (that has the free standing chairs) and had a triple bunk installed (bottom bunk on the floor). It was tight, but looked really good -- like it was purchased that way. Would be too short for most adults or bigger kids (as most of the standard bunks can be).

Depending on your budget, I would do a search on some RV remodelers in your area just to see what could be done, cost and so on. If you're handy, you just might be able to remove, say, a booth dinette and install something on your own.

For temporary solutions:

We use inflatable, residential height aerobeds in the aisle (great for bigger kids/adults). Super easy to set up and also to store.

Another thing to try, although you'll have to set up/take down which can be a pain, are camping bunks. Cabelas has some here
Old 10-21-2010, 07:33 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Not familure with your Southwind, but if it doesn't have slide or anything under the bed such as water tank or electrical box. I would think it would be possible to put bunks there. Also we used a tent for the older kids. They really liked it and we would set it up at the bed end of the RV and we could sort of hear what was going on if no AC was needed. They liked having their own TV/VCR built in.

goldwingerx2 is offline   Reply With Quote