Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2014, 08:23 AM   #1

Changing out old batteries

Hi there! Am changing out 4 6volt batteries on my Holiday Rambler today, anything I have to be aware of besides closing the battery shutoff. I will mark all the terminals so as not to get them mixed up.
jaminman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2014, 08:39 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Just take a picture, then if memory fails you have the manual, a visual. Also depending how clean.n you battery box is maybe cleaning material and paint.

LEN
Old 09-16-2014, 08:49 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Changing out old batteries

Use baking soda and water to neutralize any acid residue.....let sit then flush with water.

Use wire brush to clean terminals and cable clamps until shiny.

Don't wear watch or rings....that way you don't accidentally short against touching anything metallic and burn yourself.

Wear protective eyewear.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:24 AM   #4

Great advice, forgot about the eye glasses!
Old 09-16-2014, 09:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Use baking soda and water to neutralize any acid residue.....let sit then flush with water.

Use wire brush to clean terminals and cable clamps until shiny.

Don't wear watch or rings....that way you don't accidentally short against touching anything metallic and burn yourself.

Wear protective eyewear.
Always remove the Negative Cables first then the Positive. When installing the new batteries, connect the Positive first and then the Negative.
That way if you do happen to touch the wrench to ground, you won't get a big spark.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:37 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The biggest things are covered..

All battery changes, Mark all cables first,, I like to use paint markers but tape and tag work

Photograph

Remove Negative cable first

Wear protective gear

Clean compartment

This is the one far too many people forget

GET THE PROPER REPLACEMENT BATTERY

I can not tell you the number of threads here and in other forums where someoen replaced six volt batteries with 12's hooking them up the same way and causing damage.. OR conversely replaced 12's with sixes still hooking them up the wrong way so nothing worked.

AND IN AT LEAST ONE SUCH THREAD.. It was a DEALER that did the swap.. and yes, they screwed it up.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:24 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
What I am now doing on my vehicles with a metal battery trays, is I clean & sand the tray and spray on a couple of coats of bed liner. This has helped slow down the corrosion from the batteries. Besides doing everything else listed.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 03:19 PM   #8

Plastic Battery Boxes

Try to use plastic battery boxes, if feasible.

JohnnyB
Old 09-17-2014, 07:09 AM   #9

Thanks guys, I did the swap over yesterday and no problems. I purchased Sams Club Duracell 6volt batteries which worked out fine. I am debating if I should install the Amp-L-Start to charge the chassis battery while driving? Any ideas?
Old 09-17-2014, 07:35 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminman View Post
Thanks guys, I did the swap over yesterday and no problems. I purchased Sams Club Duracell 6volt batteries which worked out fine. I am debating if I should install the Amp-L-Start to charge the chassis battery while driving? Any ideas?

Your coach should already charge chassis battery from alternator while driving.

Amp-L-Start is used normally to charge chassis batteries while house batteries are also receiving a charge ( large solar bank, generator, or connected to shorepower)

I guess it could be connected in reverse to send some of the alternator current to the house batteries while driving.....however usually this is accomplished by means of a solenoid, or battery isolator (using diodes)

Which do you mean?
Old 09-17-2014, 09:04 AM   #11

The chassis battery is charged when I am driving as well as the house batteries. However, when I have the generator on engine off, or plugged in to shore power the charger will only put a charge in the house batteries not the chassis batteries. From what I understand Amp-L-Start will allow the chassis batteries to be charged while on shore/Gen power.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:06 AM   #12

Just reread my original post and I explained it wrong. Not while I am driving but when on shore/gen power.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:12 AM   #13
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminman View Post
I am debating if I should install the Amp-L-Start

If debating.....what is the alternative ? You can buy a 110volt trickle charger like "Battery Tender" to charge the chassis batteries.....however these types of chargers are good, but are only 1.5 amps. They also cost $40 - $60

The cheaper Trik-L-Start charges with 5 amps, and the bigger Amp-L-Start charges at up to 15 amps.

I would definitely go with one of the xxx-L-Start units.....can't really go wrong with either one.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:22 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
The AMP-L-Start is a great device. It will output UP TO 15 amps whereas its little sister, the Trik-L-Start will only output UP TO 5 amps.

Both are good, better than anything needing to be plugged into 120 VAC and a lot cheaper than the Xantrex Echo Charger.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries