Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2013, 09:01 PM   #1

Changing the Kwikee step motor overview

So I finally got tired of the step motor fizzing out at the most inopportune moments. I would always manage to get it to start working again but finally got fed up. The following are some in process photos of changing out the motor.

Figure 1 shows the motor I purchased from a local auto parts store. I went on the advice of other IRV2 members and purchased a widow motor for a 1995 Ford Taurus Left Hand forward window.

Figure 2 is a general overview of the existing installation before I started any work. Remove power from the system before starting work!

In Figure 3 I pulled the splice that connects the motor wires to the Chassis Harness wires. Remove the two screws and the outer metal shell (2 pieces)

The splice is shown in Figure 4 with the outer metal shell removed. Pull the two rubber halves apart to expose the bayonet connectors. Remove the bayonet connectors and disconnect the motor wires. If you can find replacement bayonet connectors you can reuse the rubber splice housing.

Remove the three bolts to drop the motor cover and motor as shown in Figures 5 & 6. Be careful as the pin and gear shown in Figure 7 may fall out. I was changing mine at night and they dropped without me seeing them. I did some head scratching figuring how this thing worked until I found them laying on the ground.

Figure 7 shows the pin and gear that are separate from the motor and are reused when installing the new motor. Check the grease and apply as needed when installing the motor and gear.

The motor gear will fit into the internal gears of the existing gear part as shown in Figure 8. Set the gear and pin on top of the motor gear and install as one unit into the motor mount. Replace the motor cover and reattach the motor with the three existing bolts as shown in Figure 9.

Finally reconnect the motor wires to the Chassis Wire Harness. I used the splices that came with the motor kit as shown in the figure but ended up changing them to good quality insulated Bayonet Connectors. I really hate those fold over splice fittings. They never seem to work for me. Maybe it is just me. Restore power and functional check the step system.
ArTravler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2013, 04:44 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Good job, and good call on changing out the connectors that connection needs to be weather tight when moisture gets in it will cause that green corrosion and at that inopportune moment comes up you will be wondering why the steps has stopped.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:50 AM   #3

Thanks!! .... excellent tutorial. I did almost the same except I pulled the cotter pin to uncouple the arm, removed the bolts in the flat mounting plate (entire assembly is attached to step) and worked on everything out in the open.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:09 AM   #4

I have to ask, is there a cross reference list for the different model steps and which motor they use? I don't know of a parts house where you can take a motor and say I need one of these and get anything but blank stares, and rightly so.

Mine hasn't died but as we all know it isn't if it is when.
born2travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by born2travel View Post
I have to ask, is there a cross reference list for the different model steps and which motor they use? I don't know of a parts house where you can take a motor and say I need one of these and get anything but blank stares, and rightly so.

Mine hasn't died but as we all know it isn't if it is when.
I don't think there is a cross ref but, from what I have read, there may be 2 motors that have been used. Mine (on a 1997 Endeavor) was the same as pictured above. For the most part, you can take a picture of the motor from below the step and the parts house can open a box or 2 for visual comparison. The same window motor, with dozens of part numbers, is used in various vehicles.

I used this one:
Buy ACI Window Lift Motor 83694 at Advance Auto Parts
Old 02-13-2013, 05:32 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
That's a great job. Thank you for the pics. While you are working down there. I put a large led light in the step light and connected to my inside step lights. So now at night the steps light up together. Just a thought.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:33 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Good information.. Would be beneficial added to the Files here on IRV2, some articles on Kwikee steps are in the electrical category...

Thanks....
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:52 AM   #8

Great , info & details. I would add this though.
Anyone , finding themselves with any of the 3 mount bolts broken or striped, do not panic. With the gear case removed from the mount plate , drill out the broken part and install slightly longer bolts with locking nuts inside the case. There is clearance inside. Mount the motor to the case , with the longer bolts & nuts, install the gears then put the gear case back on the mount plate and back into the step mechanism.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:45 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spares

Things like motors never go out at home. Might be a good idea to figure out what motor you need BEFORE it fails and carry a spare with you.

I found a complete kit with motor, gear and actuator arm on eBay for $155. But that's still a bunch more than $40.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:33 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Great pictures and info. I had to take mine apart to replace the arm as it broke into pieces at the smaller piece of the arm. As someone said don't panic if you break one or all of the 3 bolts that hold the cover on. I broke one and had to drill it out and replaced with a slightly larger bolt. Also broke one that held the metal plate on the bottom of assembly. Drilled that one out and replaced also. Only thing I can add is to use anti seize on the bolts as you replace them. Thats why they broke when I removed them. The housing is aluminum and the bolts are steel. They will seize as they are dissimiliar metals. Didn't know that a window motor could be used. Great info to know that when the time arrives to replace. Thanks.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:44 PM   #11

BTW, before you crimp the wires, test the direction of step travel .... reverse the connections if necessary.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:31 AM   #12

This will be the article I'll be asking for years from now when I need to do this. Please bookmark it for me?
Old 02-15-2013, 07:49 AM   #13
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
Does "left hand forward" mean Driver's window?
Old 02-15-2013, 07:58 AM   #14

Great job!
I always get so busy doing a repair, I just want to get done and forget all about taking pictures until I'm finished and then realize, "wow that was easy and would probably help someone else" So thanks for taking the time, to not only take the pictures but putting together such a detailed explination.

Tags
kwikee