Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-29-2015, 09:32 PM   #15
Fleetwood Owners Club
7.5 will work just fine. That is a common rim size on motor homes.

stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2015, 09:50 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Originally Posted by stuhly View Post
7.5 will work just fine. That is a common rim size on motor homes.
I found another chart that confirms that. So I could upgrade to 275. One thing I know is after 5 on Friday when blowouts occur I can get my 255's most anywhere on mobile service.
Thanks for the info.

98 Endeavor DP, ISB275
RX300, Falcon II hitch, BB Vantage Select
VMSpc, 2002 Grey Ford Powerstroke
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 04:40 AM   #17
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My greatest difficulty in switching from 255/80R22.5 to 275/70R22.5 was identifying tires that would unquestionably work with my 7.50" wheels. My rear wheel openings are too tight for 8.25" wheels. I would almost certainly have had tire-body contact when maneuvering over uneven ground. Many 275 tires really need 8.25" wheels, but Michelin is adamant that my tire (XZA2) works best on the 7.50" wheels. My only realistic alternative, at the time, was Hankook, and they recommended the 8.25" wheel for reliably adequate dual spacing.

I'm sure that there is a similar gray area when transitioning from 6.50" wheels to 7.25. It's a good idea to measure carefully and consider how much body movement you have, especially over large curbs and uneven campground spaces, before buying thousands of dollars worth of tires. If, after all of my research, my tires rubbed on the body, I was committed to trimming part of the fender lip to accommodate the tires. I've been to a couple of campgrounds where I was concerned, but no contact so far. It seems OK.

2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freightliner XC, CAT 3126B
slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:51 AM   #18

You folks really have your acts together! I could never have obtained that much personal-experience based information from a tire shop. Thank you all so very much for your insight, personal experiences, and tire charts. Having experienced three blowouts on one trip on the old Class C, the information you provided is invaluable to me. Having had a MH that struggled a bit towing my Jeep, I think I'll opt for the slightly smaller size, as the new(er) MH is much larger, with the 8.1 gas engine & Allison. Though the extra gearing will help, I sure hate straining the engine towing up hills! I was set to balance with powder too, but think for the first balancing I'll go with the spin balance, so I can reject any poorly mfg. tire.
garyvont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 02:11 PM   #19
Winnebago Owners Club
Changing tire size on 22.5 rims

It's up to you, but as I said before your size tires ARE available.

Just had my 255/80/22.5 Michelin XRV installed two hours ago, manufactured less than one month ago.

I decided to stay with the size the motorhome manufacturer chose, the OEM, simplest and best solution for me.

You can easily get 235's if you choose. See my previous posts.

alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 05:42 PM   #20
Freightliner Owners Club
Dual spacing is determined by rim offset. Rim offset is shown below as HDS (half dual spacing) You can measure dual spacing by measuring to the same point of each tire. Even on your present tires before you change size. (Center of each tread or the 1st tread groove on each tire, etc) The spacing is based on the rims, not the tires..

Hooligan, Pensacola, Fl -U.S. Coast Guard 1956-1985
2016 Thor Siesta Sprinter 24ST diesel
Our Pug "Lily" & "George" the Newfoundland
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:05 PM   #21
American Coach Owners Club
I went from 255/80's to 275/80's on my 7.5 Rims - no sweat - No Foul !
Plenty of room on the Duals as recommended by Michelin and My Tire Guy.
Bigger is better as they say ! We'll maybe !

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

Brownsburg Indiana
1992 American Eagle
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote