Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2015, 11:36 AM   #1

Charging issue

1999 fleetwood southwind
House batteries are not charging while driving
They will accept a charge if I hold down the aux start switch

Not sure where to start

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2015, 12:15 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushpilotom View Post
1999 fleetwood southwind
House batteries are not charging while driving
They will accept a charge if I hold down the aux start switch
Not sure where to start
Bushpilotom
Check for the operation of your "battery isolator" ...(the make and model number should be in your owners manual or included with your coach information papers).
With that information Google "X make X model number battery isolator troubleshooting".
Mel
'96 Safari

Old 11-22-2015, 05:16 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
time to replace the relay
Old 11-22-2015, 06:24 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think the various solenoids are OK other wise you would not have power to either the chassis or the coach and holding the AUX Start would have no effect. Normally the Battery Control Center (BCC) won't cross connect until the battery charge is above 13 VDC or so. This is for both directions such as charging the chassis battery when plugged in. Check your alternator voltage. It could be on the edge of failing but not enough to light a dashboard indicator. If OK then there's a problem with the BCC controller.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:44 PM   #5

It being a 1999 MH, it may have a diode type battery isolator and not a relay. They are a 4x6 inch box with cooling fins. There are 3 large wires going to them. The center is the alt. wire and either side goes to a battery bank.

If you have one of these, check to see if battery voltage is at both sides with engine off. If not, could be a large fuse near the house battery blown.

Engine running, you should see 13.4 volts or more on the center post and a bit less on the other 2 posts. You should see the same volts at the batteries.

If 13+ volts is there, again look for a blown fuse. If the voltage does not go up on one of the posts, the isolator is bad.

All that, and you may not even have a diode style battery isolator. My 1999 has a boost solenoid with a boost switch and a totally separate solenoid that actavates when I turn on the key. That one is for charging the house batts.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:45 PM   #6

House battery issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
It being a 1999 MH, it may have a diode type battery isolator and not a relay. They are a 4x6 inch box with cooling fins. There are 3 large wires going to them. The center is the alt. wire and either side goes to a battery bank.

If you have one of these, check to see if battery voltage is at both sides with engine off. If not, could be a large fuse near the house battery blown.

Engine running, you should see 13.4 volts or more on the center post and a bit less on the other 2 posts. You should see the same volts at the batteries.

If 13+ volts is there, again look for a blown fuse. If the voltage does not go up on one of the posts, the isolator is bad.

All that, and you may not even have a diode style battery isolator. My 1999 has a boost solenoid with a boost switch and a totally separate solenoid that actavates when I turn on the key. That one is for charging the house batts.
Can I simply run a wire and solenoid between my batteries or will that mess up the existing electronics?
Old 11-23-2015, 03:32 PM   #7

Sure you could run a heavy gauge wire ( to carry the charging amps )and a continuous duty solenoid ( a standard one will burn out in a few hours ) with a switch, but if you leave the switch on while parked and using your batteries, you will drain your start battery also.

I have heard of owners using jumper cables between the batts., while driving.

You could also just jam the boost switch on.

IMO, It is to your be benefit to figure out and repair what ever system that came with the MH.

Tags
charging