Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2013, 09:26 AM   #29

Series versus parallel.

See if this helps:
http://www.batteriesnorthwest.com/ba...m?TID=20#ANC20

It has to do with construction.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2013, 09:46 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan.Birch View Post

2 X 232 AH @ 6 volts each = 232 AH @ 12 volts

2 X 115 AH @ 12 volts each = 230 AH @ 12 volts
Wouldn't the 6 volt combo add up to 464 AH in the same way the 2 X 12 = 230 AH?

Old 07-02-2013, 09:55 AM   #31

No... just like on the 12 volt batteries you do not add the voltage on the 6s when you add the voltage you do not add the amp hours. You only get to add one of the two.... on the 6s you could add the amp hours but you would have to stick with 6v.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:45 AM   #32

Quote:
And that helps to explain the daft perpetuation of the golf cart battery myth!! Why would you compare TWO 6 volt batteries against only ONE 12 volt battery!!???

Sure! Your 6 volt batteries have 232 AHs each, but you need TWO of them to form a single 12 volt battery, two of which provides the very same 232 AH capacity combined.

So . . . since you need two 232 AH batteries to form a single 232 AH 12 volt battery; how is that in any way superior to two 12 volt batteries with 115 AHs each, providing the very same 230 AH combined!! ???

2 X 232 AH @ 6 volts each = 232 AH @ 12 volts

2 X 115 AH @ 12 volts each = 230 AH @ 12 volts
Stan.Birch;1626503
Question:"Why would you compare TWO 6 volt batteries against only ONE 12 volt battery!!???"
Answer: Because of available battery compartment SPACE available battery and battery SIZE.

As I understand it, the advantage of using two 6 volt batteries in place of each single 12V battery is that one can get DOUBLE the AH from the same SPACE......(the overall SIZE of two 6V batteries is roughly the SAME SIZE as one 12V battery).
In other words, two 12V batteries require TWICE as much SPACE as two 6Volt batteries.

Unless I am mistaken, your AH figures indicate that one can get 230AH from two 6V batteries, but only 115 AH from one 12V battery.
Therefor the advantage of using two 6 volt batteries in place of each 12V is that one can get DOUBLE the AH from the same SPACE.

As an example, if were to replace my four 12V deep cycle house batteries with four 6V golf cart batteries I would be able to use the same AH from my house battery bank.

Please correct me if I am wrong, (it wouldn't be the first time) LOL

Mel
'96 Safari, (4 12V house batteries)
Old 07-02-2013, 10:49 AM   #33

Mel on my coach my interstate 12v's are only 1 inch longer than the 6v so it does not take twice the space..
Old 07-02-2013, 11:12 AM   #34

Quote:
Seems that the unfounded urban mythology about golf cart batteries continues to be perpetuated.

1. The suggestion that only golf cart batteries are true deep cycle batteries, is nonsense.

2. The suggestion that golf cart batteries are in any way superior to deep cycle 12 volt batteries is also nonsense.

There is absolutely no difference between a 12 volt deep cycle battery, and 6 volt deep cycle batteries, other than the fact that the cells in the 12 volt battery will be better matched, and avoid the plagues associated with mismatched 6 volt batteries joined in series.
Stan.Birch
Is it not true that 6V golf card batteries are designed for, (and will tolerate), deeper and more frequent discharge/charge cycles than the readily available 12V marine deep cycle/starting batteries?

Thanks

Mel
Old 07-02-2013, 07:26 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCooke View Post
Absolutely!

Take one 12VDC marine deep cycle battery and weigh it. Then take two 6VDC GC2 batteries and weigh them.

I will take four 6VDC GC2 batteries wired series parallel any day versus four 12 VDC marine deep cycle batteries that still doesn't match the AH output of the former.

No contest!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 07-02-2013, 10:47 PM   #36

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCooke View Post
I was going to say this but your article beat me to it. Basically the difference is in the construction of the plates. The physical case size of the batteries is pretty close. The 6 volt battery has half as many plates as the 12 volt battery. The plates in the 6 volt are quite a bit thicker than the 12 volts and will last a lot longer.