Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2013, 09:39 AM   #15

Ok all you men out there...why is it that if a woman says its so it must be wrong when it comes to mechanics. I WAS RIGHT! As were most of you. There was another battery!!!! Waaayyyy far under the stairs!
susanandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2013, 10:38 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Since you have the four 6's in a proper series - parallel connected system you should be good at boondocking. Our unit had all the batteries under the stairs and I added two 6ers in the adjacent storage locker. It makes for about 4 days unplugged without the needed running of the genset in our 30 footer. DH will always remember the battery setup now.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:05 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanandmike View Post
Ok all you men out there...why is it that if a woman says its so it must be wrong when it comes to mechanics. I WAS RIGHT! As were most of you. There was another battery!!!! Waaayyyy far under the stairs!
Susan
Congatulations!
I'm glad the hidden battery has been found, (two 6 volt chassis/starting batteries seemed like a very unusual setup).

Don't be to hard on the guy, my wife is often smarter than I "think" I am.

I do have one question for you:
If/when I say something and my wife doesn't hear me ...am I still wrong? <smile>

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:28 AM   #18

But of course! We are always right! Lol
Old 06-30-2013, 11:44 AM   #19

What people do not understand is 2- 6 volt golf cart batteries are far superior than a single 12v deep cycle or marine battery. Golf cart batteries are true deep cycle batteries. They are designed to be drawn down to a dead status and recharged time and time again with no harm. Alot longer life than a regular auto battery. Mind you now I'm talking about useing them for house batteries. 4-6volt golf cart batteries are the only way to go, I promise you.
Agapemou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:28 PM   #20

Cool! Good to know. Thanks
Old 06-30-2013, 03:56 PM   #21

So...Where are we ? Is it running yet ?
BTW 4 6S is a boondockers dream. But we need to get this running.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:07 PM   #22

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompen View Post
BTW 4 6S is a boondockers dream. But we need to get this running.
Some of the all electric Newmar's are coming with 16 AGM batteries now. We only have four 6V deep cycle ones.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:12 PM   #23

Yes yes yes! We finally listened to smarter minds ahem and found the chassis battery! Charged it and started it a little while ago! Yipee!!! Thanks to all of you wonderful new friends here on IRV2!
Old 07-01-2013, 11:48 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agapemou View Post
What people do not understand is 2- 6 volt golf cart batteries are far superior than a single 12v deep cycle or marine battery. Golf cart batteries are true deep cycle batteries.
Seems that the unfounded urban mythology about golf cart batteries continues to be perpetuated.

1. The suggestion that only golf cart batteries are true deep cycle batteries, is nonsense.

2. The suggestion that golf cart batteries are in any way superior to deep cycle 12 volt batteries is also nonsense. Regardless of the voltage, some manufacturers make really crappy 6 volt batteries, they also make really crappy 12 volt batteries. Then there are manufacturers who high quality deep cycle batteries, regardless of the voltage, like: Rolls, Surette, Trojan, etal.

There is absolutely no difference between a 12 volt deep cycle battery, and 6 volt deep cycle batteries, other than the fact that the cells in the 12 volt battery will be better matched, and avoid the plagues associated with mismatched 6 volt batteries joined in series.

Regardless of the configuration: Buy cheap crap, endure cheap crap; buy quality products, enjoy quality products.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:02 PM   #25

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ever try to buy good 12V DEEP CYCLE batteries? If you have then you's know why people continue to buy much more reasonably priced, long lasting wet cell batteries!

Our Interstate U-2200 batteries went one month short of 10 years and I only changed them then because we were headed out and would be Wallydocking and I didn't want trouble on the road.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:23 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan.Birch View Post

Seems that the unfounded urban mythology about golf cart batteries continues to be perpetuated.

1. The suggestion that only golf cart batteries are true deep cycle batteries, is nonsense.

2. The suggestion that golf cart batteries are in any way superior to deep cycle 12 volt batteries is also nonsense. Regardless of the voltage, some manufacturers make really crappy 6 volt batteries, they also make really crappy 12 volt batteries. Then there are manufacturers who high quality deep cycle batteries, regardless of the voltage, like: Rolls, Surette, Trojan, etal.

There is absolutely no difference between a 12 volt deep cycle battery, and 6 volt deep cycle batteries, other than the fact that the cells in the 12 volt battery will be better matched, and avoid the plagues associated with mismatched 6 volt batteries joined in series.

Regardless of the configuration: Buy cheap crap, endure cheap crap; buy quality products, enjoy quality products.
Sorry, but I put two of my 6 VDC GC2 batteries hooked in series up against one marine 12 VDC deep cycle battery any day of the year!

No comparison.

Total AH's available will be the true test of the deep cycle battery. Most of the largest marine batteries have a little over 100 AH's available whereas the 2 GC2's have about 232 AH's each. That's more than double what you can get from any marine deep cycle battery.

It would take more than four marine 12 VDC batteries (400 AH's) to achieve the same capacity from 4 - 6 VDC GC2 batteries hooked up in Series/Parallel (450 AH's).

I'll stay with the GC2's or even pay a few bucks more for the GC2 premium and get a little higher AH's.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:49 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Total AH's available will be the true test of the deep cycle battery. Most of the largest marine batteries have a little over 100 AH's available whereas the 2 GC2's have about 232 AH's each. That's more than double what you can get from any marine deep cycle battery. . . . Sorry, but I put two of my 6 VDC GC2 batteries hooked in series up against one marine 12 VDC deep cycle battery any day of the year!
And that helps to explain the daft perpetuation of the golf cart battery myth!! Why would you compare TWO 6 volt batteries against only ONE 12 volt battery!!???

Sure! Your 6 volt batteries have 232 AHs each, but you need TWO of them to form a single 12 volt battery, two of which provides the very same 232 AH capacity combined.

So . . . since you need two 232 AH batteries to form a single 232 AH 12 volt battery; how is that in any way superior to two 12 volt batteries with 115 AHs each, providing the very same 230 AH combined!! ???

2 X 232 AH @ 6 volts each = 232 AH @ 12 volts

2 X 115 AH @ 12 volts each = 230 AH @ 12 volts
Old 07-02-2013, 07:57 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Some people get it and some people don't.

Whatever Rocks your RV or Floats your Boat.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote