Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2013, 02:28 PM   #1

Charging my chassis battery

Good evening folks! Yes its me again. Still trying to puzzle out how to find the chassis battery in our 1993 National Seabreeze. All we can find is a series of 4 6v batteries. I believe there has to be more! So many of you were so helpful all day yesterday and we are so grateful! I pray someone has some more helpful advice...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2013, 02:40 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I am not familiar with the brand but some MH's have the chassis battery located in front of the radiator behind the cowling. One I once helped replace was under the doghouse in the interior of the unit.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:21 PM   #3

Thank you for the info. I am surprized to find out that those batteries are indeed all we have! The batteries are fine which means probably sonething mundane like the starter or corrosion. Anyway thank you everyone once again for your kind assistance!
Old 06-27-2013, 05:38 PM   #4

Disconnect the last ground terminal (goes to the frame) on the batteries. This should kill all coach power. Now see if you have any power for the chassis. Try the headlights for instance. Try them before you unhook anything of course. If I remember correctly you have a starting problem. It is really unlikely the 6 volt batteries are used to start the engine. But not impossible.
tompen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:41 PM   #5

Did you look under the entrance steps?
mahon1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompen View Post
Disconnect the last ground terminal (goes to the frame) on the batteries. This should kill all coach power. Now see if you have any power for the chassis. Try the headlights for instance. Try them before you unhook anything of course. If I remember correctly you have a starting problem. It is really unlikely the 6 volt batteries are used to start the engine. But not impossible.
Great advice!!

There just has to be a separate chassis battery hidden in there somewhere!
Old 06-27-2013, 08:43 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan.Birch View Post
Great advice!!

There just has to be a separate chassis battery hidden in there somewhere!
FWIW, I would be really surprised to learn that a 1993 coach had an inverter big enough to require 4 six volt batteries. Likewise for just house batteries, absent an inverter. Perhaps a previous owner modified the OE set up by using 2 six volt batteries to provide the 12 volts needed for the engine starter.

Maybe the OP could tell us which chassis......
Old 06-27-2013, 08:56 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Seems like you could trace the hot wire from the starter and see where it goes. It would go to this sneaky chassis battery?

ronspradley
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:21 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In your earlier post on 6/26, another a member said that your converter will not charge your chassis battery. That may or may not be true. It depends on how your 12 volt distribution board was built. The one in my Dolphin does charge the chassis battery once the coach batteries are fully charge. If your 12 volt distribution board was built by RV Custom Products, you can give them a call at 562.921.8353 to find out if it does. You will need to give them the model and revision number of the board. Also, if you have not joined the Yahoo groups National RV group, you should. NationalRV : National_RV Between the iRV2 forum and the Yahoo group you will plenty of resources to help with any problem that may arise with your Sea Breeze. Since it appears the PO may have modified your coach batteries the charging of you chassis battery may not be important to you. Additionally, you should be posting this in the National RV forum here on iRV2

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:34 PM   #10

Good evening all. I wish once again to thank you for the wonderful information. It appears that we do indeed have 2 12-volt systems in the form of 2 sets of 6-volt batteries. So simple.

Anyway...now I would love to hear your recommendatons on what to look for in an inexpensive battery maintainer. Thank you! Sue
Old 06-29-2013, 08:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanandmike View Post
Good evening all. I wish once again to thank you for the wonderful information. It appears that we do indeed have 2 12-volt systems in the form of 2 sets of 6-volt batteries. So simple.

Anyway...now I would love to hear your recommendatons on what to look for in an inexpensive battery maintainer. Thank you! Sue
I may be wrong but I don't think that most 6V batteries in series are suitable for starting an engine, (although they may work. I doubt they will give the life that a 12v battery designed for starting will).

My Safari has 2 12V maintenance free Interstate starting/chassis batteries and 4 12 V flooded lead acid batteries house batteries.

On my coach, ONLY the house batteries are charged via the Freedom 20 inverter charger when on shore or genset power.
However, both sets are charged by the alternator.
That has never been a problem in the 12 years, (105 miles), that I have used my coach.

BTW, all 6 of the original batteries lasted 11 years, the current 6 are 6 years years old.

Mel
'96 Safari Sahara
132k miles. (105k mine)
Old 06-30-2013, 12:40 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My previous coach located the chassis batteries behind the left front wheel. You had to turn the wheels full left and remove a section of the inner wheel well just aft of the tire. There was the battery compartment. If you did not know they were there one would have never found them.

I think you will find separate chassis battery somewhere.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanandmike View Post

How did you figure it out ? Is your convertor/charger maintaining two of the batteries ? This is a pretty odd setup, but I guess a Trik-L-Start would work. You can buy a 6-12V battery tender at Wal*Mart for $20.00. Only 1.5 amps. I would think about a real 12V starting battery for the chassis.
Just my 2c.
tompen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:07 AM   #14

We figured mainly by process of elimination. There just isn't another battery! Then we found a neifhbor in the campground with a little experience who says it is possible and that our liitle camper wouldn't have four coach batteries. Makes sense.

We are still in the process, however, of tracing which ones are the chassis batteries. Although we are looking at the starter as the possible problem area now. Thankfully Mike knows all he needs to there!