Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2013, 07:10 AM   #15

Afc, Thanks. I think I will try an orifice tube and receiver dryer. I would sure like to find out how much Freon to put in. No labels left. My experience was with systems that held 3-4lbs. The one chart said pre 2005 GM was only 2.75. We tried it at 2lb and it was worse that at 1.5. Maybe if new parts installed it will act different.

tompen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2013, 07:19 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompen View Post
Afc, Thanks. I think I will try an orifice tube and receiver dryer. I would sure like to find out how much Freon to put in. No labels left. My experience was with systems that held 3-4lbs. The one chart said pre 2005 GM was only 2.75. We tried it at 2lb and it was worse that at 1.5. Maybe if new parts installed it will act different.
I think the Drier is a good idea .... can't hurt and not a big pile of money. I can't help with the system capacity. I thought receiver/drier was part of an expansion valve system. Your RV is a gasser .... correct (as in less hose length than diesel pusher) ?

Old 07-05-2013, 09:30 AM   #17

beings system is an orifice tube...charge off of evap inlet and outlet temps...that will be probably more accurate than some estimate of charge qty.

The drier on an orifice tube system is called an accumulator
Old 07-05-2013, 10:18 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
sc3283 is correct, the term drier went out with R12 systems.

two pounds is about average for passenger vehicles on the road today. On a MH it can vary with the length of the hoses. Charge from the low port and monitor the outlet temps. Go with one of the ducts closest to the evaporator. With a variable orifice tube AND if your compressor is efficient you can reach temps in the 40's depending on the ambient temp. Longer hoses also affect output temp. Stop charging at peak output.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:28 AM   #19

The easy question is, yes gas, after that I am still out of my element. This picture shows the black can with the yellow label which has a sight glass and says it is a receiver dryer. It is clearly 134a system. The label on the housing says ACME. (Yes. I am waiting for the Road Runner to drop an anvil on me). I think there may be an orifice tube in the fitting right behind the low pressure service port. What do you think ? I would take it apart, but should have it recovered first.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0839c.JPG
Views:	472
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	41796  
Old 07-05-2013, 11:47 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Tom,
In the pic just above the low side port it looks like an expansion valve. If so there will not be an orifice in the system.Is there a capillary tube coming from the round top of it? That is a sure fire sign of an expansion valve. Without an orifice in the system I would replace that valve.

Also, as stated in an earlier post the sight glass is useless, it is only used with R12. And the "drier does look like a generic one which may have been used by the coach manufacturer. Part number on that should be easy to cross-reference.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:59 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afc-Jr View Post
Tom,
In the pic just above the low side port it looks like an expansion valve. If so there will not be an orifice in the system.Is there a capillary tube coming from the round top of it? That is a sure fire sign of an expansion valve. Without an orifice in the system I would replace that valve.
Agree ... the part that has what looks like a silver dollar sized disk assembly sure looks like an expansion valve. Also, the receiver/drier looks like an actual "receiver/drier" vs. an accumulator. Good advice re: the capillary tube. Quick pic of an expansion valve.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:57 PM   #22

OK, I think that is it. Do these plug up or just go bad ?
Should I replace the dryer anyway ?
Great help. Thanks so much guys.
Tom
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0843c.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	41801  
Old 07-05-2013, 01:57 PM   #23

OK. Took my new found knowledge and got up close. Two things. The capillary tube seemed like it had been jammed and possibly kinked. I pulled it out a little and sort of manipulated it a little. Also the bulb was partially exposed where it went into the line. I stuffed some insulation around it.
Now
I have 65* output at 90* ambient. I bet (thanks to you guys) I am on the right track. I think I will add a little more R134a and see what happens.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0846c.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	41805  
Attached Images

Old 07-05-2013, 02:42 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
If you found a problem with the capillary, you are on the right track. Expansion valves can go bad and I cannot say that the only problem with yours is the capillary. The valve controls the flow of refrigerant so as to keep the proper pressure differential to cool the evaporator. In short it meters the flow to keep low side low and high side high. You are also correct in covering the bulb. The bulb senses the temp of the pipe to keep it cold.

Be careful in adding refrigerant, always keep track of the air temp. Take your time and do not go beyond peak temp drop.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:26 PM   #25

65 at an idle with 90 ambient is probably about correct...go drive it before adding freon..R134a does not like to be overcharged...and can actually work better a bit undercharged than overcharged
Old 07-05-2013, 03:50 PM   #26

I was at our Endeavor today so I started it up and ran the dash air. Did a few other things so I'm guessing it was running about 10 minutes. Temp outside and inside the RV was 91 .... temp in various vents ranged from 64 to 68 .... temp of the surfaces of the 2 front seats was about 80 to 82. That's about as good as mine gets and "feels" comfortable when seated and the vents are blowing air slightly off center of each passenger (I don't like air in my face cuz it dries my eyes).

If you need to replace the expansion valve you will need a new drier.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:56 PM   #27

Thanks Bruce, SC, and Afc for sticking with me on this. I may try a little more Freon since it was supposedly left with 1 1/4 lbs. I will add it slowly and watch the temperature. I may wait for a 70* day.
Thanks again.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:01 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompen View Post
Thanks Bruce, SC, and Afc for sticking with me on this. I may try a little more Freon since it was supposedly left with 1 1/4 lbs. I will add it slowly and watch the temperature. I may wait for a 70* day.
Thanks again.
I bet it works great on 50 degree days . If I get a chance, I'll throw gauges on mine and see what pressures I get .... probably won't be before middle of next week. BTW, I noticed my evaporator housing drain tube was plugged ... always something ... sigh.

Tags
chassis