Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2013, 09:24 AM   #1

Chassis battery?

Freedom 458 seems to keep house batteries charged fine, should it be charging chassis batteries as well? If I do not chrank MH every 10-14 days it may not crank. Batteries are 2010 & 2011 but after a few days may not read but a tad over 12V where house batteries read 13.3V (accross two). Chassis batteries are not deep cell if that makes a difference. Beside the usual large battery cables on each chassis battery there are two smaller cables (two red and two black) going to one battery. I assume this is from engine (alternator) and possibly converter. May just have a small drain on chassis but do not know what it would be. Any suggestions? I know it takes good solid amperage to chrank a Cum 400 but also feel something is not right. I can keep a 2A trickle charge on them and be fine, but should I have to do that?

Right now I have chassis switch off and will see if drain still exist, if not guess that is my fix. Although I think water level is fine will check that also.
Bill

buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2013, 09:42 AM   #2

There are 10's of thousands of RVs where the manufacturer saved a few bucks by designing the charging system to operate just like yours. Mine is one such RV. Typically, what people do is add a $20 1.5-2.5 amp float charger to keep the chassis battery topped off when parked. There are also after market devices that don't require AC, such as the Trik-L-Start.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
There are 10's of thousands of RVs where the manufacturer saved a few bucks by designing the charging system to operate just like yours. Mine is one such RV. Typically, what people do is add a $20 1.5-2.5 amp float charger to keep the chassis battery topped off when parked. There are also after market devices that don't require AC, such as the Trik-L-Start.
Jim,
Trik L Start sounds like the item for me. Can the black ground wire be connected to a IN black going to one of the batteries in hours or chassis group. White there is the metal battery tray in compartment, not sure as to its solid ground to chassis, might be tine.

Do you think the two pairs of small cables going to chassis battery are from generator or just going to dash instruments, ignition, etc?

Thanks.....Bill
buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:23 AM   #4

The Trik-L-Start (TLS) is simply a device that measures the charging voltage going to the house battery when the RV is plugged into shore power and the converter is charging it. After the converter has brought the house battery up sufficiently after a long days drive, 1-2 minutes, the TLS borrows some charging current to keep the chassis battery charged. After a days drive, it's already topped off by the alternator so there is little stress on the TLS. Since we're only talking about 5 amps or so, the TLS uses small wires to interconnect the battery sets.

A good ground is essential and although the TLS pictures show a separate ground for it, that is unnecessary as you can connect to the negative lead of either set of batteries. Personally, I'd use the ring terminals that come with the device and bolt the ground wire to the battery case. Even if I have to drill a hole. But I would check that the battery case is solidly attached to the frame (it likely is in your rig).

Not sure what you mean with your first question...the two small wires from the TLS maybe? One goes to the house batteries + terminal, the other to the chassis batteries + terminal.

When you're driving, both sets of batteries are charged with a separate system in the BCC (Battery Control Center). This system also waits a bit, 1-2 minutes, for the alternator to bring the chassis battery up after starting, then switches on a relay to charge the house batteries using the alternator.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, battery