Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2018, 07:09 AM   #1

Chassis Battery dead

While plugged into shore power, shouldn't the chassis battery be charging? Or, is it just the house batteries? My chassis battery will go dead after a couple weeks of not being used. Something is definitely drawing power, but I thought it was staying charged by being plugged into shore power.
empty_nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2018, 07:18 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I would think the chassis battery should charge while plugged in. I've never had mine die yet.
On our HR, the radio and the steps run off the chassis battery.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:12 AM   #3

The simple fact is that very few coaches are built with any system to charge the chassis (main engine) battery(s) from shore power. This is a situation that can easily be corrected with the addition of small an inexpensive devices made for the purpose.

There are more than a few but comes to me first is "Trikl-Start" or something like that.

Frank
F76Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:15 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood and National RV coaches have always charged the chassis battery from shore power, but many other brands did not. Winnebago did not for many years, but made the change for diesel coaches about 8 years ago and then for gas Class A coaches a few years later. I don't know the specifics for other brands and models.

From what I read, some brands do it for Class A but not class C.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:17 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
My coach has a chassis charger, don't know about your coach/year/model.

Easy way to check, is to have coach disconnected and at rest for an hour (so batteries lose any surface charge). Now put a digital voltmeter on your chassis battery bank, and record the voltage. I would expect it to be something like 12.5 volts.

Now plug into shorepower, and monitor it's voltage. If there is a charger, you'll see a voltage that is about 1 volt higher than the batteries at rest charge. For instance, it would go to 13.5 ish.

If you don't have one, you can use something like a battery minder, which uses 120vac and puts about an amp charge to the chassis batteries. Others use an amp-l-start, which steals power from your house battery (which is getting charged by your regular charger), and keeps the chassis batteries up. It's easy to install if you put it right at your charge solenoid where heavy battery cables from both of the battery banks already comes together at the solenoid.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 11:12 AM   #6

I have a 2016 Winnebago Sightseer. It didn't come with a device to charge my chassis battery when plugged into shore power. I added a Trik-L-Start. Trik-L-Start will charge the chassis battery by sending a charge to the chassis battery. It will not drain house batteries.

Some newer higher end Winnebago products will come with a Trik-L-Start factory installed

It is easy to install and costs about $50,00.

Ultra TRIK-L-START Starting Battery Charger/Maintainer

Safe travels. JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 11:24 AM   #7

A two week draw down on chassis batteries , I'd consider normal, so just a matter of setting up your coach to maintain charge while plugged in.

Memory draws on the chassis battery include .
Engine & trans control modules , dash radio and others .
Old 09-14-2018, 12:22 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My 07 Meridian 34H, which is still new to me, has set for 3 weeks and chassis battery has dropped from 12.7 to 12.4v which I feel is exceptional.

I've not kept my DP plugged in during this time but just did as I'm bringing everything up to full charge before going out next week. I have a Trik-L unit under the front cover which I was told provides charge to chassis batteries.

You may want to charge your batteries up to full and then shut them off using the shut off switch. If no switch disconnect ground cable from battery which would save batteries from draining.

Have a great day - Richard
Old 09-14-2018, 12:44 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
https://www.amazon.com/WirthCo-20108.../dp/B002OWFLC4

I guarantee it won't drain if you put one of these in.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 01:21 PM   #10

Just returned from a weekend trip and everything was fine. I do have a battery minder, so now that the coach will be sitting a while again, I'll use that to keep the chassis battery topped off. Since I'm plugged into shore power, I have 110V inside the coach and can just plug the battery minder in there. That should work out ok.
empty_nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:36 PM   #11

My old 2000 Fleetwood gasser had no chassis battery charger. Just buy a 1-3 amp automatic trickle charger.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 05:55 AM   #12

I've installed a Amp-L-Start.

It's a simple device that I mounted in my batt bay and it is wired from house batts then to the Chassis batts. As shore power chargers my house batts, the Amp-L-Start "steals" a little of the house power and keeps the chassis battery topped off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AMP-L-Start-closeup.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	193.5 KB
ID:	219502   Click image for larger version

Name:	battery-bay-final.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	418.1 KB
ID:	219503  

marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags