Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-12-2012, 11:18 PM   #1
Newmar Owners Club
Question Chassis Brands: Spartan -v- Freightliner

OK... I know I'm opening up one of those "Ford -vs- Chevy" or "Tastes Great -vs- Less Filling" topics, but I'm curious:

What really ARE the differences between current-model, equivalent chassis from the two big players: Spartan and Freightliner?

I've owned coaches on both... and can't really say that I have any great passion for one over the other.

So... does anyone have any facts/stats/engineering flaws that can point in one direction or the other and label a clear winner? Or is this just a "brand loyalty" thing... and once you own one brand (and have a good experience) you automatically/reflexively say the other one sucks?!?!

Fire away!

2005 Newmar MADP
bcbounders is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2012, 11:43 PM   #2
iRV2 No Limits Club
In 2002 when we ordered our DSDP the Spartan was some 500#'s heavier and carried the ISC 350/1050. The FL chassis had the CAT 3126 330/860 and one of the reasons for upgrading from our 2000 DSDP was the "bigger" ISC.
In 2000 the FL chassis had a beam axle and the 300/860 CAT, the Spartan had the 300/950 Cummins and IFS. I drove both and there was a difference, the Spartan was slightly smoother.

2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:29 AM   #3
Ford Super Duty Owner
From someone who was in the business, Most of my customers thought the spartan rode slightly better and was considered a upgrade. Most liked the freightliner for ease of service. There is a freightliner dealer in most larger cities. I would probably go with the freightliner for the service issue.
1998 Pace Arrow 35 ft. F53 Ford V10 2012 Honda Civic toad
15 year motorhome service manager. 3 popups....2 travel trailers....5 motorhomes....loved them all.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:17 AM   #4
When we were shopping for a new Class A, a dealer we were working with had a 40' Allegro Bus on a Freightliner, Spartan, and their own chassis. We drove all three and evaluated the ride on: dive during hard braking, lean and corner drop in a low speed swerve, lean and corner drop in an aggressive high speed lane change, and overall brake feel and effectiveness in a HARD brake from 65mph to a stop. Freightliner definitely had the stiffest ride, but it performed best in these tests, so we own the Freightliner.

Define what you're looking for, test it out and pick what YOU feel best meets your criteria.

2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500 Toad
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:20 AM   #5
Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I would probably go with the freightliner for the service issue.
I've been driving my Spartan chassis all over the country for almost 9 years ...had it serviced at many locations wherever we happened to be ...service has never been an issue in any way. I've not owned a Freightliner so can't compare from much experience other than test drives. I would prefer Spartan if I were buying a new coach today, but that alone would not be a deal killer/maker.
Paul (KE5LXU) ...was fulltimin', now parttimin'
'03 Winnebago UA 40e / '05 Honda Odyssey toad
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:32 AM   #6
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Both are excellent chassis. A lot depends upon what your coach manufacturer does with and to that basic factory chassis.

Tom, Cheryl & Blossom(coonhound mix) Formerly of Bellingham,WA'05 Winnebago Journey 36G. FL-XC, Cat 350, aero muffler, AFE filter, 4 FSD Koni's, ultra track bell, SafeT+, FMCA397030, WIT 129107
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote

chassis, freightliner, spartan