Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-27-2016, 10:00 AM   #1
Chassis experience advice please.

Just sold my Monaco with the RR4R 207" wheelbase and yes I did all the Source Engineering upgrades (Track Bars, REK, etc) Moving up to a 36' 4 slide and have narrowed the choices to a 2007 Monaco Diplomat RR8R 213" WB and 2006 Country Coach Inspire DynaMax 229" WB with IFS.

It would seem that the 213" WB would be less kind to the driver in the wind and semi passing modes than the CC 229" WB. Have driven both but would appreciate comments from those that may have more time than my test drives delivered answers. I can start another food fight by asking about the ISL 400 rear radiator and the CAT C9 side radiator if those would like to add their 2 cents or experience. I have plenty with the ISC and ISB and C7.

Not trying to start a war just some experienced advice before I spend more of my retirement nest egg.

Thanks in advance.

Jethdlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2016, 12:16 PM   #2
CAn't comment on the chassis but I can comment on the radiator position.. My previous coach had a side radiator, made servicing the belts, AC compressor, alternator,etc. etc much easier than my current coach with a rear radiator.

2010 Winnebago Tour model 40CD soon to be a 2016 Newmar Dutch Star 4369
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 12:46 PM   #3
Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Motorhomes are all a tradeoff, there is no one perfect coach.

Generically speaking, a tag axle will ride much better than a 40'er, which will ride better than a 190" wheelbase. But then, a 190 is much more maneuverable, and can get into many more parks and campgrounds than a 45 tag. Similarly, it only makes sense that a side radiator is easier to work on, than a rear radiator. Having just pulled up my access hatch last week to get to the top of the engine, it would be nice to have side radiator....but not a deal breaker for me. The downside of side radiator is it eliminates a lot of storage space, and only available on large coaches.

Some will weigh the advantages of one or the other of these as extremely important and a deal breaker. To me, as long as however it's built is acceptable and works, it's fine.

I have a 33AA with a 198" wheelbase, and it rides and drives very nice. Can easily drive with one hand (not that I'm recommending anybody do that with any size coach), and wife drives it all the time. We prefer state and national parks, and I'm a length that can get in anywhere. If perfectly meets our desires, and we have thousands of interstate mileage under our belt.

A foot of wheelbase difference (about the length of your shoe), wouldn't be a decision maker for me.
DaveB, Raleigh, NC
2015 Tiffin RED 33AA
2014 Honda CRV
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 05:16 PM   #4
I would go with the side radiator given the choice. Tag is an advantage (more brakes and more rubber on the road).
Wobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:00 PM   #5
Monaco Owners Club
I do prefer the side radiator, but in a 36' coach, you're basement space is reduced. I would really look at maintenance records for both. Good records would really make me 'lean' towards that particular coach. When we were looking, Country Coach definitely made the short list.
bill h
06 Windsor PRQ, ISL
2014 Honda CRV
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:18 PM   #6
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've found our 45' tag axle CC to be as maneuverable as our previous 40' non-tagmDutch Star. The CC has more wheel cut and, with the tag lifted, about the same wheelbase as the DSDP.
Both our 38' and 40' Dutch Stars were side radiator. Took me longer to find my tools than change the belts.
As to serviceability of of a side vs rear radiator, here's picture of our engine compartment. About the only advantage is getting to the belts, everything else is covered!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	engine compartment.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	214.9 KB
ID:	125464  
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:59 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't think that either of those coaches has a tag axle, so the merits [or not] of tags is probably not relevant here.

I think Kiaweh has the right of it - all in the tradeoffs. A longer wheelbase is a more pleasant ride but may increase turn radius. A side radiator is easier maintenance but costs space (and $, if new). An IFS rides & handles a bit better in a very few circumstances. Etc. etc. etc. Oh, and the Diplomat is a year newer than the Inspire. Value of that?
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:23 AM   #8
The 2006 CC has a stronger book value than the Monaco even though a year older. Had a Neptune with all the Source Engineering upgrades and still rode like a stage coach although much better than the original RR4R from the factory.

They are both in essence orphans even though Monaco support has been good for me and calling CC in Oregon (Winnebago) has answered every question I have asked and been extremely helpful. CAT C9 side radiator and Cummins ISL 400 rear radiator. Rather have the ISC or C7. Shorter wheel base with 8 bagger or longer with CC Dyno with IFS. Usually let the floorplan and DW make decision but she likes them both. I guess a coin toss The WW, GS and Extra Ride warranties are near double on the CC vs the Monaco.

Anyone had the 36 pdq ISL on the 8 bagger or the 36 inspire with the C9 and what to look out for would be great.

Thanks for all the comments and will take any and all.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:30 AM   #9
One other thing to check, is the actual SN and build date of the ISL. A 2007 coach, could easily have a 2006 engine, depending upon how early the coach was built. Check the ISL SN against the engines that had wrist pin problems. (While I would not 'just walk' from an ISL with the wrist pin risk - I would factor that in pricing of the unit.

Both are good content and solid bang for the bucks coaches. Using the Monaco line up as the baseline, I'd slot the Inspire in between the Diplomat and the Dynasty as far as content and coach features. Closet to the Dynasty then then the Diplomat.

Best of luck to you on your coach hunt,
Roo II is our 04 Country Coach Allure 40'
OnDRoad for The JRNY! Enjoy life...
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 06:10 AM   #10

Thanks to all. Ran into a title issue with the Diplomat but ran across an 07 Camelot with the RR8S chassis and Hydro Heat. Going to give that a drive this week.

Smitty I will check the ISL in the Camelot too for the wrist pin issues. No surprises other than the usual used coach ones

advice, chassis