Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2019, 04:40 AM   #43

Batteries not charging

I had similar issue with 2017 Essex. Check your solenoid that connects to your house n chassis batteries.
Gilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2019, 11:33 AM   #44

Similar issue on my DP. Found broken battery cable going to house battery's. Also check fuse.
House battery's are usually deep cycle and chassis are starting battery's.
lotpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 03:24 PM   #45

Battries

Shouldn't house batteries be 6 volt deep cycle? When checking with multi meter shouldn't reading on each battery be in the 6+ range? Not 8, or 13-14
kayla44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:35 AM   #46

You could have either but most likely 12 volt. IF they are 6 volt they will be tied together positive to minus to make the two battery's 12 volt. If more than two another bank would be the same then the banks attached together pos to pos and minus to minus so as not to be more than 12 volts for the entire battery bank. The total voltage must be the same as the chassis battery's. They charge of the same alt. Best untie all battery's and charge and test each one.
lotpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 09:10 AM   #47

So I believe my solenoid failed again, started with now power to fridge motherboard, the realized dead coach battery while plugged in. The I checked the converter fuse which are not broken. Also I’ve been listening for the converter charger to run and it’s been silent.

I’ve used the Boost quite a bit lately, and even bought a new coach battery as I thought that was the issue.

So reading through this thread I will order the 200Amp model, with a bit more resting first to make sure it’s the solenoid.

Learning a lot this summer about the RV, seems like there is always a Next repair to make.
jdmalibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 09:36 AM   #48

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmalibu View Post
So I believe my solenoid failed again...
Easy test if you have a voltmeter. First measure the voltage across the small terminals, should be 12 volts if solenoid is engaged. On diesel coaches the voltage may be lower since many vendors fire the solenoid with 12 volts and then "hold" it engaged with pulsed 12 volts to avoid unnecessary heating.

If the solenoid is engaged, measure the voltage between the heavy duty connections. It should be "0" if the solenoid is working. Anything else indicates that the solenoid is not up to snuff.

If the solenoid is not powered, try doing the same thing while someone holds down the boost switch, which will manually fire the solenoid to parallel chassis and house banks.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, charging, chassis