Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2017, 10:37 AM   #1

Send a message via ICQ to Vicr Send a message via AIM to Vicr
Cheap Handling Fix-Fail! Jayco Precept 35S

It finally quit raining and was actually dry so yesterday I pulled the 35S onto the driveway to do the CHF. I got the bolts out, jacked the sway bar up to line up with the sway bar link and guess what, the holes lined up perfectly with the leaf springs so I was not able to get the bolts in. Looks like I'll have to take it to a shop with a lift or chassis jacks rated for the weight of the front of the coach to lift it and get the swaybar/link holes to not line up with the leaf springs.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2017, 11:55 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Needs to be on level ground or close. I used a sizor jack from my truck to get it to lineup.
edfgrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 12:23 PM   #3

It was on level ground and as I posted I jacked up the swaybar had the holes aligned but the holes were blocked by the leaf springs thus I couldn't slide the bolt thru the aligned holes.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:46 PM   #4

Another possibility would be to take the links off the frame, move the ends of the swaybar to a place where the bolts will slip in, then reattach the top ends to the frame.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:11 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Extend the links two or three inches... You can see how I did mine:

I cut the link in half, inserted the halves into a 1/2 inch water pipe that was 10 inches long, then welded the links back together.

This optimizes the torsion bar to link geometry.

NOTE - I'm getting ready to do the CHF on my "New to Me" Southwind, I'll use a 12 inch pipe this time instead of a 10 inch pipe I used on the Mirada.

Cheap Handling Fix – and then some | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 02:44 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
So in other words you have this problem -

I'm trying to recall what I did when I did the fix several years ago which was at a COE campground with basic tools.

With both ends of the bar disconnected roll the bar up, or down your chose, to clear the springs to install the bolt. Then move the bar to line up with the link. Slide the bolt out until the bolt head is against the spring. You might have enough lateral movement of the link and the bolt to work the link back onto the bolt. It may need a bit of persuasion. The other option is to remove the bushing from the link, install it first on the bolt then push the link onto the bushing. Again persuasion might be necessary. A bit of silicone grease will help.

You could unbolt the two axle clamps which will allow more movement or unbolt the top of the links to allow bar movement to bolt the lower ends in.

The other option is long links as Waiter21 suggested. There are many owners that made or had made new links primarily to maintain the design geometry.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 02:55 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think I'd cut it loose at the axle and drop the SB. Install the bolts on each side, snug up, then position the SB back to the axle and reattach. Check the condition of the bushings at the axle while you have it apart.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:59 AM   #8

I loosened that bolts that attach the sway bar to the axle, but did not take completely loose. Made aligning holes easier. Have seen posts where owners purchased longer links.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/cheap...72335-201.html

Page 202 has info as to where to purchase longer links.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:02 PM   #9

Thanks for the tips! Looks like I've got more wrenching to do. Now if it would only stop raining.....

Tags
jayco