Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2014, 12:24 PM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i thought the amp load was pretty high the max uniit 21.6 amps for each leg of a 50 am service
bet you spin the meter off if you paid for power once you add in the water heater at 10-12, plus convection oven at 12
seemed like a good idea, but energy gets paid for either through propane or the electric folks
I could see using it you didnt pay for power at a campground...\

did anyone notice what brand or type of rv they installed it in for the article
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2014, 01:27 PM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
i thought the amp load was pretty high the max uniit 21.6 amps for each leg of a 50 am service
bet you spin the meter off if you paid for power once you add in the water heater at 10-12, plus convection oven at 12
seemed like a good idea, but energy gets paid for either through propane or the electric folks
I could see using it you didnt pay for power at a campground...\

did anyone notice what brand or type of rv they installed it in for the article
For my $700. investment I have the option of using electric heat or LP. If the power is not metered I use electric heat. With the addition of a solenoid, if the power fails it will automaticaly revert to LP.
I have seen four different articles written about the installation, each on a different RV.
The ones I have installed are:
Newmar 5th wheel.
Airstream Land Yaht motorhome. x2
Airstream Argosy.
Newmar TT
Montana 5th wheel.
Monaco Knight
CT Coachworks Seina
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:56 PM   #17

We installed one 2 yrs ago in our Damon 3575. Our coach is a 50A model and the CH system works VERY well. We have been quite pleased with it.

Now if I had my old 30 amp Bounder, not so sure then.

The system has no trouble keeping our 38ft coach warm down in the teens and its very quiet.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:20 PM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Correcting a previous post. I ment to say relay, not solenoid to revert to LP.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:30 PM   #19

Despite the engineer spats, it still comes down to cost and convenience which comes back to a person's choice. At around $500 to $600 and a DIY install, I can still buy a lot of propane for that money. Then I would still be dependent upon electric not being charged separately. If electric is charged separately then it becomes the cost of electric versus propane. So again it is simply a matter of personal preference!
jablair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:02 AM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jablair View Post
Despite the engineer spats, it still comes down to cost and convenience which comes back to a person's choice. At around $500 to $600 and a DIY install, I can still buy a lot of propane for that money. Then I would still be dependent upon electric not being charged separately. If electric is charged separately then it becomes the cost of electric versus propane. So again it is simply a matter of personal preference!
You are exactly on target. Personal preference, nothing more.
The OP wanted to know if anyone had tried the system and several answered they have and are pleased with it.
It's not an engineering spat, rather the claim (by one poster) that RV Comfort Systems is making false claims about the system. So far I have not read anything supporting that.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:43 AM   #21

I agree, There are always people who do things to their coach because they want to. I installed an auto gen start system because I was bored. Never used it. (yet) Might do Cheap Heat just because it is quieter that the heat pumps and electricity is easier to find than propane.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:52 AM   #22

Nothing but more evasive and misleading answers and misinformation. Same as you'll find in other forums and threads.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:37 AM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
Nothing but more evasive and misleading answers and misinformation. Same as you'll find in other forums and threads.
Why not go directly to the source with your concerns if you are not getting the answers you need.
www.rvcomfortsystems.com
e-mail info@rvcomfortsystems.com
Ph # 1-425-480-3140
FAX 1-800-543-8961
PO box 1554 Bothell Wa. 98041
Old 01-09-2014, 10:04 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
Please just stop. Go elsewhere or just away. I personally have gotten tons of useful info on this thread and didn't even consider one of these systems.

It seems to offer yet another choice when heating your coach. Some people would find more options very useful in their travels.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:25 PM   #25

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i think mh mag could have written the article much better
they state that lp furnaces are so in-efficient even though they are stated to meet the 80% efficiency.

there reasoning was the heat ejected by the exhaust...that cracked me up as the fire has to heat up the plenum and the waste or exhaust has to go somewhere...like maybe out the tailpipe
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:35 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
okie, removed that link for now look at your wiring in load center the white wire belongs on ground wire buss as the others and wiring should be three wire with black-red- white and copper ground wire.
What size wire are you using and can you post wiring diagram in your instructions that came with unit?
Bare copper wire for neutral can cause a fire if hot, read with meter.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:39 AM   #27

Thank you 007 I will look into this. I am sorry if I posted something that could cause a problem. I will have to get my instructions to see what I may have done wrong. I know I used the wrong color coded wire for this but that was what I could get at the time. The wire is 10 gauge I believe but I must check. Thank you for removing the bad information. I will try to get this done this weekend if I can. I do seem to remember the instructions saying something like not to use the neutral but again not sure it was two years ago when I did the install.
okiejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:17 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for the understanding, your gage may be alright but their wiring instructions may not by looking at your pictures.
I tried to get a good picture of their wiring instructions from their web site but they were not clear or large enough for me to see.
If you can post a picture of them I can add to your instructions when we get this straighten out.
Your Newmar does not need a fire from this outfit like the other one.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote