Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2014, 08:52 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
www.rvbusiness.com Press release, june 2012: RV Comfort Systems announced that its patented Cheap Heat system is now available to the public through their website. Contact Larry McGaugh to varify; 425-480-3140
Don't screw with az bound he has the facts!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2014, 09:18 AM   #44

Here's the wiring instructions I hope this works I was unable to attach it in a PM. He does say to use the correct color coded wire and I did not. My bad but that was what I could find easier out here. I will look for some colored electical tape and mark the wires with it to make it more clear for another owner. For now I believe I am ok and it is 10 gauge wire also. I stayed with the 10 foot rule.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cheapheatwirintg.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	172.9 KB
ID:	53688  

okiejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:35 PM   #45
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for that jim.
I can see how your unit us wired it in this diagram but it does not match same system shown in video's.

Where is the control unit that they point out in video?

Also dependent on the heat element, you used for heat, the wire gage, 12 or 10 gage, changes to the left of diagram.

It does mention a controller on diagram wire ends, what does it control, is same gage wiring used through out the installation?

There is also a impotent note on grounds lower left of diagram that you can not use bare ground as neutral wire should be white and to the ground buss with other whites on ground buss, bare copper to that ground buss.
That's why the original picture was questioned should be three wire with a bare copper wire also.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:04 PM   #46
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I see it but the warranty still says certified installer.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:18 PM   #47

Which video are you questioning please I will watch it to see what the confusion may be.
The controller has a high and low voltage side. It controls the on and off of the heater element. The low voltage side connects to the existing control board on the existing furnace and the thermostat to determine when to turn on/off the heater element. I used two breakers one for L1 the other for L2 which make up the 220 needed for the higher wattage coils. The heater elements is multi wattage depending on how you wire it. The lowest wattage is only 110 volts and does use the neutral, ground and hot wire standard. The other two are used with 220 volts and do not use neutral. I am no way an expert of all this electical engineering but I do know how to wire up 220 and 110 volt circuits. I just did not follow the color coding standard for 220 volts. I hope this helps some. I did my own install to save money since I really don't have alot to go around. As far as the warranty goes it was honored when the thermistor blew because of the scotch lock that connected to the sail switch. I was instructed to remove the scotch lock and use a wire nut when the element came back so far no other issues, that was just before winter set in.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:20 PM   #48

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT2000 View Post
Don't screw with az bound he has the facts!

Where does it say on the Cheap Heat web site. In fact I have found no link anywhere the states this other than here.

I understand the mfg. is covering his butt. If you install it or have someone install it without proper credentials. Guess who is gonna eat a R/V.
Looking at some of the posts on this site about elect. problems and mods. I would be very hesitant to take any ones word on this. Some of you are gonna get hurt.
I would listen to we engineers, as contrary to popular belief we do know what we are talking about.

Has anyone actually gone the R/V business site?
Old 01-12-2014, 06:35 PM   #49

Sorry,
I guess I'm done with this whole thing. I was just trying to help. Each one of you has to make up your own mind. I did and I am happy. 007 could you please just delete my responses to this thread and the others thanks.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:40 PM   #50
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Jim your doing just fine, Jim never mind the side issues others try to create , here is the post where video's are, you mention low voltage side did you ever measure the voltages on the low voltage side?
If it were I, I would wire with three wire and get that bare wire ground wire off hot voltage side of control.
I have no problem you installing the unit only want it to serve you safely and not cause you a problem in future.
I keep bring up the wire issue because of this wiring note by MFG, There is also a impotent note on grounds lower left of diagram that you can not use bare ground as neutral wire should be white and to the ground buss with other whites on ground buss, bare copper to ITS ground buss.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:08 PM   #51

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have to chuckle reading some peoples electrical interpations. With any 230 volt branch circuit a two pole breaker shall be used to open both ungrounded conductors. Quit calling your 50 amp services two 120 lines, its a 230 volt 50 amp 4 wire system
Old 01-12-2014, 07:54 PM   #52

If this is such a great idea then why isn't it installed from the assembly plant? Not being sarcastic, just wondering.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:40 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regwal View Post
If this is such a great idea then why isn't it installed from the assembly plant? Not being sarcastic, just wondering.
Why aren't a lot of things installed at the plants?
Old 01-12-2014, 09:10 PM   #54

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regwal View Post
It could happen. Slide outs, washer/dryers, residential refrigerators, gargage disposals to name a few. All were unheard of a number of year ago.
Its consumer demand.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:59 PM   #55

You can get what ever you want on a coach if you are willing to pay the price. Look at Newell just to name one that has a Hydronic heating system which is much more efficient than propane not to mention all the other systems they have like a glass dash. All yours for a cool million plus $$$$!
Old 01-13-2014, 06:38 AM   #56

Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Comfort Systems Sells Directly to the Public

RV Comfort Systems Sells Directly to the Public | RV Business

az bound is offline   Reply With Quote