Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2014, 07:29 AM   #57

http://www.rvcomfortsystems.com/images/Excel_News_Dec2013.pdf

I hope this works as you can see it is just starting to get the interest of the manufacturers, and dealers. The link is not working on the web site just click on the news tab and you can see this information.

okiejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2014, 08:35 AM   #58
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yes I had the link but did they change the install by certified Tech.
Warranty does not cover a DIY.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:23 AM   #59

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn_Dave View Post
I went on a search for a heating element that I could use to do the job. I found bunches of then the most expensive 120vac 1500 watts was $250.00 I could build one for 1/3 the cost of the Cheap Heat. hummmmm.
I challenge your claim.
I do not believe you can build a system with all the components in the CheapHeat for less than 1/3 their listed retail price.
Anxious to see your list of matching components and prices. Please include the plenum, heating element and control system.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:12 AM   #60

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Complete CheapHeat systems are also sold at Amazon.com
Old 01-15-2014, 06:43 AM   #61

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
I challenge your claim.
I do not believe you can build a system with all the components in the CheapHeat for less than 1/3 their listed retail price.
Anxious to see your list of matching components and prices. Please include the plenum, heating element and control system.
First of all I am not going to build one for you, However at full retail from Grainger the Heating element cost 250.00 If one has access to a break, a 20.00 piece of sheet metal can make a custom plenum.
Finally for 40.00 one can get the parts needed from Radio Shack. I can get the misc. parts for about half that.
For $314.00 paying full retail the unit can be built. Even cheaper if mass produced.
Sounds to me like you have a vested interested in the company, or are you upset about the fact I did the research and not take somebody's word for the fact the website says it is not a DIY project.
I could install it as I have the credentials and am a retired EE
Have a nice day
Old 01-15-2014, 07:24 AM   #62

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
First of all I am not going to build one for you, However at full retail from Grainger the Heating element cost 250.00 If one has access to a break, a 20.00 piece of sheet metal can make a custom plenum.
Finally for 40.00 one can get the parts needed from Radio Shack. I can get the misc. parts for about half that.
For $314.00 paying full retail the unit can be built. Even cheaper if mass produced.
Sounds to me like you have a vested interested in the company, or are you upset about the fact I did the research and not take somebody's word for the fact the website says it is not a DIY project.
I could install it as I have the credentials and am a retired EE
Have a nice day
1/3 of $545. is $181.
I gave you every link that I have, including the fact that the system has been being sold to the public on Amazon for over two years.
Just because I recommend a product, (that I have and use) does not mean I have a vested interest.
I have no doubt you could install it. It does not require an EE to do so, just the ability to read and follow instructions.

Its clear you are not an electronic systems design engineer.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:28 AM   #63
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Let's please try to not get into any personal attacks here. It's against our rules to do so.
Thanks

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:52 AM   #64

Let's not forget the time it would take to build it yourself and drive around getting the parts unless you don't value your time and I would bet most don't have access to a break so rental fee or pay someone there too! We could all build our own coaches to for way less if we had the shop and all the machines and tools! Just saying!
Old 01-15-2014, 08:10 AM   #65

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT2000 View Post
Let's not forget the time it would take to build it yourself and drive around getting the parts unless you don't value your time and I would bet most don't have access to a break so rental fee or pay someone there too! We could all build our own coaches to for way less if we had the shop and all the machines and tools! Just saying!
My post was ment as a challenge to the claim of building the system for for 1/3 the retail price of $545.00, nothing more. 1/3 of $545.00 is $181.66.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:06 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
My post was ment as a challenge to the claim of building the system for for 1/3 the retail price of $545.00, nothing more. 1/3 of $545.00 is $181.66.
I agree, just adding to the cost which also would increase the fact that it can't be done for 1/3.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:16 AM   #67

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT2000 View Post
I agree, just adding to the cost which also would increase the fact that it can't be done for 1/3.
If you two would note: I was comparing full retail to full retail. Just how much do you think they are building it for?
I never said they were not selling it to the public. I said they do not want you to install it yourself.
Please do not read things into my messages that I did not say. That is a problem with this forum.
[ moderator edit ]

I think I am back in Chicago
Old 01-16-2014, 08:40 AM   #68

Quote:
If you two would note: I was comparing full retail to full retail. Just how much do you think they are building it for? I never said they were not selling it to the public. I said they do not want you to install it yourself. Please do not read things into my messages that I did not say. That is a problem with this forum. [ moderator edit ] I think I am back in Chicago
Who cares how much they build it for? If you're handy enough and have all the right tools, know how and time then great! As far as installing it they may say that to cover themselves because not all of us can DIY well, so that statement clears them form claims if someone screws it up and burns their RV up. Not trying to read anything into your words, it's all good!
Old 01-16-2014, 03:31 PM   #69

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
If you two would note: I was comparing full retail to full retail. Just how much do you think they are building it for?
I never said they were not selling it to the public. I said they do not want you to install it yourself.
Please do not read things into my messages that I did not say. That is a problem with this forum.
[ moderator edit ]

I think I am back in Chicago
Retail, wholsale; Your statement was that you could do it for 1/3 the cost.
Who was it at RV Comfort Systems that told you "they do not want you to install it yourself." I will be talking to Larry on monday and I am sure he would like to know who mis-spoke.

He spent many hours putting together the instructions and color coding everything so that the layman could do the installation.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:26 PM   #70

The system sounds interesting to me. Not on a cost of heat basis but to have heat provided by electricity when the weather is extremely cold, particularly when parked at home in the driveway. I currently keep the furnace on with the thermostat set at the mid 40's to ensure that the tanks, etc don't freeze. It is unerving to go out in the middle of the night or in the morning and to hear the furnace running just to protect the water systems.

I do keep the propane filled but if I ran out and we had a real cold snap we could use up all the propane and leave the water system unprotected. I do, when the weather is expected to be cold, ensure that holding tanks, fresh water tank, hot water heater and all the drain valves, etc have been opened but there is always a chance that some water has not drained away. Additionally there is a 20 W 12 V heater installed in the utility compartment. I have never used an antifreeze in the water system as is frquently recommended. Our climate is not severe but we frequently get temps in the 20'sf so we do need to winterize.

I wonder why RV manufacturers don't offer something like this. At least they should have an electric heat options to protect the holding tanks and water lines.