Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2015, 12:31 PM   #1

Cheap Ingenious Fixes / Additions? Show them off!

I'd like to see some cheap fixes (and additions) that some of you have done. Not necessarily just big ones, but even little ones.
One that I recently did on my (now sold) Class C was to 'fix' the awning. The top of the awning was pealing due to sun damage. I've heard this is the weak link in awnings since everyone's tears there. I decided to make a partial cover for it and permanently fix it to the material. Using the existing 'wave' pattern on the end of the awning, I made a pattern for my new pieces. I used complimentary color vinyl and cut 3 pieces about 7" wide. I did have to line up the pattern for the wave from one piece to the next. Then I pealed off any flaky parts on the awning and laid a thick layer of contact cement. I also coated the vinyl as well. You have to be a little careful not to glue the awning to the channel. This would make it difficult to R/R the awing later. The whole job was about 3 hrs but that was learning time too and cost was $25. To me, it is hardly noticeable and looks like it belongs there and beats the heck out of $300 for a new awning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	awning cover.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	85341   Click image for larger version

Name:	awning cover2.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	85342  

Todd157k is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2015, 02:31 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Your quick fix is commendable.
The top of rolled up awnings get brittle and crack from the daily UV rays of the sun beating down and abuse from trees branches while in tight spaces.
To protect the awning from UV rays and scratching you may of noticed that many higher end RVs have Alumiguard that wraps around the awning when closed. Tires and awnings have one thing in common, UV protection coverings extend their life. Alumiguard is an option that can be added to awnings.

Old 02-06-2015, 03:05 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Cheap Fix

My Kwikee (Power Gear) hydraulic levelers started giving the dreaded "jacks down" alarm more and more often. Finally traced it down to a bad magnetic sensor switch in the top of a jack. The switch was not available at the time and would have cost over $150 if it was. A plunger type, water/oil resistant micro switch, two large hose clamps and problem solved. Total cost, $15 and ten minutes work. No problems since.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Kwikee-2.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	85360   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kwikee-3.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	85361  

'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 03:18 PM   #4

Nice! That's what I'm talking about. Pretty heavy duty switch.
doggy daddy.. Yes, My new Itasca has aluminum covers, otherwise I'd be doing the same project over again before they start rotting away.
Todd157k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 03:41 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Now this thread should be a sticky. Thanks for starting it!
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 12:28 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
35' Marinco 50A Cord Container

A simple way to contain and carry those heavy, mind of their own, Marinco shorepower cords.

The container was purchased in the Home Depot garden section several years ago for about $10.

I have no idea what it is called or what its original purpose was.......
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 12:38 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
My P30 chassis gasser had a jury-rigged heater valve. The cable going from the dash control to the heater valve broke at the dash end. The previous owner just put in a manual valve. If you wanted more heat, you had to stop the coach, get out,open the front and open the valve.

I found an electronic valve at thermotion.com and installed that. While I was in there, I replaced the heater hoses with the heavy duty hose. The temperature control was in a pot that I installed next to the old heater control.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	heater valve 2.JPG
Views:	261
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	85442   Click image for larger version

Name:	temp pot.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	85443  

jplante4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 12:38 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post

A simple way to contain and carry those heavy, mind of their own, Marinco shorepower cords.

The container was purchased in the Home Depot garden section several years ago for about $10.

I have no idea what it is called or what its original purpose was.......
Looks like a tray to go under a large flower pot or planter.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 12:39 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Bag of Rocks

Frequently, when we hook up to the sewer line at many camp grounds, I find that the opening is a slightly different size than the outlet on the RV Sanicon system. To end problems like that, I bought a heavy, water proof plastic zip lock bag ($3), put a bunch of pebbles in it, and use it to solve the problem. Place the plastic bag on top of the sewer connection, and the weight keeps the outlet/inlet in place without danger of it coming loose. The bag is "deformable", so it conforms to the shape of the connections. Problem solved.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bagofrocks.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	85445  
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 02:14 PM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I screwed a section of piano hinge on the plywood of the seats of our "dining hutch". Had to nip of the corner of each one to clear the window blind hardware.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150207_114004.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	218.7 KB
ID:	85457   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150207_114030.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	85458  

Old 02-07-2015, 06:24 PM   #11

No pic here but today when in one of my outside storage areas had to hold it up with my head because it was one of a few that don't have a hold up latch(you know the ones by a heater or door latch) asked myself how can I hold this up so I will buy a suction cup and rope or bungee then attach suction cup to side of MH and walla door will stay up......
Old 02-08-2015, 05:27 AM   #12

I carry my heavy, spare cords in the bottom of my large collapsible trash can. When camping, release tabs and insert plastic bag. Weight of cords keeps bin in place. When traveling, trash bin helps protect cords and extra air hose from damage.
tranquility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 06:23 AM   #13

We travel with a cat and our MH has outside access doors to the space under the dining table seat. A small cat door on the panel in the 'foot area' of the dinette allows our cat access to the litter box that can be reached through the outside door to clean. I see newer class Cs that have large storage spaces under the rear bed accessible from the outside that could be accessed by the cat the same way with a cat door in one of the night stands by the bed.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:44 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagosajoe View Post
Frequently, when we hook up to the sewer line at many camp grounds, I find that the opening is a slightly different size than the outlet on the RV Sanicon system. To end problems like that, I bought a heavy, water proof plastic zip lock bag ($3), put a bunch of pebbles in it, and use it to solve the problem. Place the plastic bag on top of the sewer connection, and the weight keeps the outlet/inlet in place without danger of it coming loose. The bag is "deformable", so it conforms to the shape of the connections. Problem solved.
For another solution to a similar problem, I used an old Scuba weight belt that I had left over from diving in my younger years. It stores easily and is heavy enough to hold the 90 degree donut in place when there are no threads to secure the fitting.

2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
nctox is offline   Reply With Quote