Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2011, 11:54 AM   #15

Everyone is just trying to make sure you can still smell the roses in the morning.It looks good but has a small problem.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2011, 12:21 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
JEEZE - with all the tears about dangers of generator use with Onan type generators, and since virtually all RV makers are STILL pretty much using the same exhaust designs they have for DECADES, perhaps we have grist for a class action lawsuit?

My thread offering was purely to show an inexpensive alternative way to dress up the OEM exhaust pipe, with the added benefit to at least in a small way direct exhaust flow as desired - as I pointed od in my OP, that tip doesn't HAVE to be aimed DOWN - it CAN rotate 360 degrees as desired or needed.

Sorry I offered the info...
Rotating the tip anywhere from 0° to 359° does nothing to improve it's effectiveness in safely diverting or dispersing the fumes. That argument is a non-starter.

Yes, there are a ton of ONAN generators in use out there, but any reasonably informed and responsible user will NOT run a generator near another RV without taking the precaution of diverting the exhaust (upward and above) away from surrounding units. JMHO

Old 02-04-2011, 12:24 PM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I would like to convert my generator to propane. It burns a lot cleaner. That is why they can use propane forklifts in buildings.
As far as the exhaust being pointed downwards, if that was a good idea the manufacturers would be doing it. You want the fumes to go away from you. With the pipe being pointed down, some of the exhaust will go under your living space. With a little breeze in the wrong direction, all of it will go there. Heat rises. Where will the hot exhaust go once under your rig?
99% of the time you can do something not too bright and get away with it. The other 1% is the problem.
Please DO NOT modify your exhaust in this manor.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:17 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
From Wikipedia:
Quote:
At standard temperature and pressure, the density of carbon dioxide is around 1.98 kg/m3, about 1.5 times that of air.
So those of you that think you're safer by putting your pipes up above your roofline, you are mistaken. You are more likely to get CO2 inside your rig this way as it has to fall past your roof and all open windows to get to the lowest point. The goofy pipes people run upwards are for NOISE, not safety. Why do you think the CO and CO2 detectors are on the floor in your rig? The safest place for the exhaust to exit, is right near the ground....where there's no windows into your rig. The cheap chrome exhaust tip is a nice dress-up for 7 bucks and in no way makes the rig less safe.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:44 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
I at the least think you should carry a bottle of Drano in case it gets stopped up.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:53 PM   #20

HMXDave: Unfortunately you mention Carbon Dioxide (CO2) of which we're not concerned with here but instead Carbon Monoxide (CO) which is usually neutral in weight due to how it's produced and at what temperature air it's mixed with. However all things being equal in its native form is lighter than air.

Very good reading on this subject here: Carbon Monoxide and Density
Old 02-04-2011, 02:17 PM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Gary

Your addition does just what you wanted; it dresses up the exhaust pipe and looks better.

Fear is the marketing tool for the Baby Boomers

I like your addition.

Be AFRAID BE VERY AFRAID.
Don't forget to wear your helmet

BOOGALOOGA

Dick
Old 02-04-2011, 02:31 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
HMXDave: Unfortunately you mention Carbon Dioxide (CO2) of which we're not concerned with here but instead Carbon Monoxide (CO) which is usually neutral in weight due to how it's produced and at what temperature air it's mixed with. However all things being equal in its native form is lighter than air.

Very good reading on this subject here: Carbon Monoxide and Density
Thanks. That is a good read. I still stand by my position that the "up in the air pipes" are mainly for noise attenuation though.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:37 PM   #23

I wholeheartedly agree. I never understood why you'd want the exhaust up near the roof to be sucked in by the AC units. They are sealed yes, but not sealed entirely. I had looked at a 'scrubber' some time back, and may consider it again this summer - not only for any CO issues but they really quiet the unit down especially when combined with a silencing intake filter unit they sell as well. My older genny while ole faithful is quite a bit louder than the newer inverter type genny's.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:17 PM   #24

National RV Owners Club
The CDC published a report for 2001 - 2003 on CO exposures.
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5402a2.htm

480 people died yearly from CO poisoning. 15,200 reported exposures. Most of them were alerted by an alarm. Of the deaths most happened on the job using gas powered tools in enclosed work spaces. No mention of RV related cases.

I stand a better chance of winning the lottery than even being exposed to CO poising in my RV.

You’re more likely to die just by driving than CO poisoning.

No thanks guys, I have more to do than worry about this grave danger.

Dick
Old 02-04-2011, 03:23 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMXDave View Post
From Wikipedia:

So those of you that think you're safer by putting your pipes up above your roofline, you are mistaken. You are more likely to get CO2 inside your rig this way as it has to fall past your roof and all open windows to get to the lowest point. The goofy pipes people run upwards are for NOISE, not safety. Why do you think the CO and CO2 detectors are on the floor in your rig? The safest place for the exhaust to exit, is right near the ground....where there's no windows into your rig. The cheap chrome exhaust tip is a nice dress-up for 7 bucks and in no way makes the rig less safe.
Sorry, Dave, you couldn't be more WRONG if you tried.

CO mixes with the air, it does NOT settle to the ground or floor.
CO detectors are NOT mounted near the floor. LP detectors are.
CO detectors are usually mounted about half way up the wall. You've never seen a CO2 detector in an RV.

The Centuri (RV generator goofy pipe) is designed as a SAFETY device, NOT for sound deadening purposes. Most generator noise is from vibration and mechanics, not from exhaust.

The higher you can raise the exhaust, the better. Right near the ground under the rig is certainly NOT the safest way to go.

Not your comment, but RV air conditioners do not use outside air, so they will not draw in anything from the roof area.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:32 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theberrys;
I stand a better chance of winning the lottery than even being exposed to CO poising in my RV.
You’re more likely to die just by driving than CO poisoning.
No thanks guys, I have more to do than worry about this grave danger.
What an amazing series of comments.......................
Old 02-04-2011, 05:41 PM   #27

While camping outside of Albuquerque, our neighbor had an early morning mishap and dumped several gallons of sewage on the ground. We were awoken abruptly by the smell. Although not life threating, it sure proved to me that outside fumes sure CAN have a penetrating effect and our bedroom slide, while extended, is vulnerable.

This coming summer, we intend on doing some dry camping and will probably be staying in CGs with no hook ups. This thread has convinced me that I'll be getting one of those generator venturis and will not hesitate on moving away from a fellow camper who's genny's tailpipe is pointing in our direction.

Good thread for thought. Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:16 PM   #28

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyB1954 View Post
I would like to convert my generator to propane. It burns a lot cleaner. That is why they can use propane forklifts in buildings.
As far as the exhaust being pointed downwards, if that was a good idea the manufacturers would be doing it. You want the fumes to go away from you. With the pipe being pointed down, some of the exhaust will go under your living space. With a little breeze in the wrong direction, all of it will go there. Heat rises. Where will the hot exhaust go once under your rig?
99% of the time you can do something not too bright and get away with it. The other 1% is the problem.
Please DO NOT modify your exhaust in this manor.
my factory tip is pointed down.?????and to the rear slightly

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote