Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2011, 06:33 PM   #29

Looks like a lost cause.Those that want to send their fumes to the ground between a bunch of parked campers find reasons to be right. Those who want to send theirs up into the atmosphere where it will dispurse have their reasons.I'll take my chances with the second group and hope noone from the first is parked next to me.

Down and pointed slightly to the rear will work fine driving down the highway or if the wind is blowing from the other side.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2011, 06:43 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by loulong View Post
Sorry, Dave, you couldn't be more WRONG if you tried.

CO mixes with the air, it does NOT settle to the ground or floor.
CO detectors are NOT mounted near the floor. LP detectors are.
CO detectors are usually mounted about half way up the wall. You've never seen a CO2 detector in an RV.

The Centuri (RV generator goofy pipe) is designed as a SAFETY device, NOT for sound deadening purposes. Most generator noise is from vibration and mechanics, not from exhaust.

The higher you can raise the exhaust, the better. Right near the ground under the rig is certainly NOT the safest way to go.

Not your comment, but RV air conditioners do not use outside air, so they will not draw in anything from the roof area.
I admittedly mixed up CO and CO2. Pretty sure that my last 5 RV's all had CO detectors near the floor and smoke detectors on the ceiling. Safe T Alert RV Carbon Monoxide Detector looked just like the one in this link and usually mounted to the base of the bed. The exhaust fumes will mix with the prevailing wind whether its up high or down low. I would wager the largest source of CO/CO2/bad stuff comes from your stove or oven. Wrong or not....you run your plastic pipe if it makes you feel better.

Edit: and none of you need worry about choking on my fumes or politely dispersing yours 10 feet high and being "better", because we camp to get away from neighbors, not to sit on a chunk of sweltering asphalt and stare at another RV 10 feet away. we also only run our genny a couple of hours a day, max....never all night.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:11 PM   #31

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
What an amazing series of comments.......................

Here is something to fret about. More people die from stress than CO poisoning.

Add stress to the list of fears!

Dick

Old 02-04-2011, 09:18 PM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMXDave;
I admittedly mixed up CO and CO2. Pretty sure that my last 5 RV's all had CO detectors near the floor and smoke detectors on the ceiling.
I did a Google search and 9 of the first 10 searches recommended mounting the CO detector on the ceiling. I stopped there..........

Quote:
The exhaust fumes will mix with the prevailing wind whether its up high or down low. I would wager the largest source of CO/CO2/bad stuff comes from your stove or oven.
Properly adjusted LP appliances produce what is called an "ideal burn" and produce NO CO. It's your responsibility to keep them adjusted and burning clean.

Quote:
none of you need worry about choking on my fumes or politely dispersing yours 10 feet high and being "better", because we camp to get away from neighbors, not to sit on a chunk of sweltering asphalt and stare at another RV 10 feet away. we also only run our genny a couple of hours a day, max....never all night.
It's not "choking" we are concerned about, it's being killed by someone elses thoughtlessness. But thanks for thinking of us. Now put some thought into how you are risking the lives of your own family.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:24 PM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theberrys;
Here is something to fret about.
More people die from stress than CO poisoning.
Add stress to the list of fears!
Put it in context:

How many people, sleeping in an RV, with the generator running and the exhaust diverted directly to the ground beneath the RV.........Die of Stress?

How many are at risk of dieing of CO poisoning?
Old 02-04-2011, 09:32 PM   #34

My Onan LP genny (factory installed in 5er) came with exhaust pipe curve down on the end. Cut the 90 bend off and fabricated Bldrbob's set up . Cost me about $30 for materials. Attach it to the side of RV with 3 sets of double suction cups. used Schedule 20 white pvc pipe around EMT tubing. matches the RV for looks
Old 02-04-2011, 10:08 PM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
I did a Google search and 9 of the first 10 searches recommended mounting the CO detector on the ceiling. I stopped there..........

Properly adjusted LP appliances produce what is called an "ideal burn" and produce NO CO. It's your responsibility to keep them adjusted and burning clean.

It's not "choking" we are concerned about, it's being killed by someone elses thoughtlessness. But thanks for thinking of us. Now put some thought into how you are risking the lives of your own family.
Give me a break. You think if it was inherently dangerous to have an exhaust pipe routed the way it is that it would be allowed? Wind blows...high or low. If you're not one of these "RV'ers" who is disgusted by campfires from "campers" watch the smoke from a fire some day. On a hot day it blows away, then down, then disperses. On a cold day it goes up then with the wind. I think what you need is a 150 foot plastic tube to REALLY ensure the safety of everyone....if you care so much and are the proactive safety guru that you preach. Show me a study...a real study, not Retired Joe's gadget blog...that shows those plastic pipes make your RV experience any safer.

I'm sure you've gone through your coach and moved/fixed every shortcoming you've found by the manufacturer, but some of us get out to camp to relax and have regular jobs. The last 4 or 5 rigs I've owned had the detector where I described....and I'm not moving them. As I said, I don't run my genny more than a hour or two at a time anyways.....so if I am totally off base, and you show me a study where these tubes work....I still don't need one. And I still like the cheap chrome extension the OP put on his rig.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:10 PM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Put it in context:

How many people, sleeping in an RV, with the generator running and the exhaust diverted directly to the ground beneath the RV.........Die of Stress?

How many are at risk of dieing of CO poisoning?
Why don't you tell us? I'd be real interested to know.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:47 PM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMXDave View Post
Why don't you tell us? I'd be real interested to know.
Dave, I'm finished......

Your mind is closed to facts and you seem content in your ignorance. Refusing to acknowledge facts doesn't change them. I won't confuse you any further.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:48 PM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Dave, I'm finished......

Your mind is closed to facts and you seem content in your ignorance. Refusing to acknowledge facts doesn't change them. I won't confuse you any further.
Show me some facts and I'll be unconfused. You're the one suggesting that since an "ideal burning" LP appliance doesn't create CO, there is no danger in your RV from running said appliance. Your misinformation and half/truths are more dangerous than the real truth.

I still like the cheap chrome exhaust extension.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:41 AM   #39

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
When a wise man argues with a fool he becomes one.
You think hot gases are heaver than cooler air, fine.
You think you are brighter than the manufacturers, fine
You think square wheels would work better than round ones, fine.

For thirty years I have worked on diesel, gas and propane engine powered refrigeration units for vehicles. Not one had the exhaust pointed down to dissipate fumes. Won't all these manufacturers and reefer owners be surprised when they find out that they have been ignorant all these years.

I don't know why all the hot air balloonist waist so much money heating the space in their balloons. Somebody really should tell them about the newest discovery. Put the hot gas in the basket and put the passengers on top.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:34 AM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyB1954 View Post
When a wise man argues with a fool he becomes one.
You think hot gases are heaver than cooler air, fine.
You think you are brighter than the manufacturers, fine
You think square wheels would work better than round ones, fine.

For thirty years I have worked on diesel, gas and propane engine powered refrigeration units for vehicles. Not one had the exhaust pointed down to dissipate fumes. Won't all these manufacturers and reefer owners be surprised when they find out that they have been ignorant all these years.

I don't know why all the hot air balloonist waist so much money heating the space in their balloons. Somebody really should tell them about the newest discovery. Put the hot gas in the basket and put the passengers on top.
So it's about the heat now? When did anyone say anywhere in this oh-so-gone-off-track thread that hot gases don't rise? The laws of basic physics are quite in tact here.

for 40 years I have driven cars and trucks, operated lawn mowers, weedeaters and rototillers. Not one has had the exhaust pointed up or extended over my head to dissipate fumes. Won't all these manufacturers and owners be surprised when they find out that they have been ignorant all these years.

You guys show me any shred of proof that the plastic pipes channeling the genny exhaust upwards an extra 11 feet provides any extra assurance of safety, and I will apologize, retract, and digress. (welcome to the argument/discussion Danny)

The original poster shared a tip where he found a cheap, decent looking alternative to a high priced exhaust tip, and a bunch of bored "holier than thous" jumped all over him because he should have a "genturi" A simple "thanks for the tip" would have sufficed.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:57 AM   #41

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadeaux View Post
I at the least think you should carry a bottle of Drano in case it gets stopped up.
Now that's funny !
Old 02-05-2011, 08:13 AM   #42

On the Internet, everyone is an expert.
No matter how little they know.