Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2011, 09:44 AM   #43

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think the solution to this is sit both sides in an enclosed room and have them eat plenty of beans. When they start exhausting gas, they can tell us by cell phone if the exhaust gas is rising or falling. We will be at our campsites waiting in anticipation for the scientific results. LOL.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2011, 10:05 AM   #44

I guess reading a couple of articles concerning people dying from CO poison with their generators running would not be enough to convince anyone. I decided if I am camping and someone pulls in and runs their genny without what I think is proper exhaust I will pack up and move. At the few ralleys I attended some uninformed people in charge explained to me that without an exhaust extension I would not be allowed to use my genny.They said something about safety but what do they know.Just the fact that the down exhaust would probable ignite the dry grass is enough for me.Enough beating .The horse is dead.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:26 AM   #45

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
Geez people... get your facts straight and give the guy a break!!!...

Carbon Monoxide IS LIGHTER than air and coming out of a engine it is heated along with the other exhaust particulates and will RISE no matter where you point that exhaust tip!!

Beside it does look so much better

Just wait till they see my genturi made out of a rain gutter down spout
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:39 AM   #46

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bldrbob View Post
That is only putting the fumes closer to the ground . They still can enter the coach. I used an electrical EMT sweep with a coupling that fits perfectly. I face it up into a length of lightweight three inch pvc Spacers center it producing a venturi affect and sending the fumes above the roof.My version of the genturi.
I agree with BldrBob on this.. You need to get the exhaust ABOVE the coach.. Not down but up, way up, 12 feet or more up above the coach. Else the exhaust can get into either your own coach or the coach parked next to you and that can result in waking up dead... Does in fact, every year we hear about more and more people killed by generator exhaust.

In my case I went with the Camco Gen-Turi,, I did not home brew.. The "Genuine Article" is very nice, light weight (Lighter than PVC) and it gets so hot that I can take it apart and so long as I do not touch the metal sweep I can do it while the generator is running. (The stack gets to perhaps 110 degrees,, Very warm but that is in the bathwater range)

The sweep.... Well that gets HOT!,

I've seen folks who just had exhaust pipe extensions...

These increase backpressure way more than the Gen-Turi types. and what's more they get very hot.. I can just see the lawyers, dollar signs in eyes, after some brat of a child rubs up against one and gets burned.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:35 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Long View Post

Carbon Monoxide IS LIGHTER than air and coming out of a engine it is heated along with the other exhaust particulates and will RISE no matter where you point that exhaust tip!!

Just wait till they see my genturi made out of a rain gutter down spout
Thanks for being one of the few getting it RIGHT!

This thread was NOT posted or REPRESENTED as the "end all" of generator exhausting, but rather, a SIMPLE method to dress up the OEM exhaust while at the same time providing a method of directing the flow as desired - and doing it CHEAPLY!

Our MH living room area and windows are directly above the generator exhaust - this lo-buck method provides an easy way to fit our needs, as well as at least some benefit to any who camp close to us - which in our case and boondock places we camp, EXTREMELY rare.

And sorry, but in view of OUR specific camping locations, I was not about to replace ONE unattractive exhaust with another that's even LESS attractive and cumbersome to use and install, and store when not in use - but that's just MY opinion!

For the life of me, I find it hard to understand why so many "outhouse exhaust experts" chose to jump in with their unwarranted criticism and comments on a thread that wasn't even close to the volumes of info not at all related to what this thread was ACTUALLY attempting to provide - a CHEAP and EASY way to dress up the OEM exhaust, while providing an admittedly SMALL degree of exhaust gas directivity and dispersal - at least it DOES work quite well for US!
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:47 AM   #48

The chrome elbow does look good till the heat from the exhaust burns it.As said CO is lighter tha air and when you heat it it rises even more. So the logical thing to do is point it down so it can go under the coach and rise up into the interior?From my experience coaches are not air tight.One thing to do would be make sure the CO detector is workig and try it while noone is inside.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:08 PM   #49

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Long View Post

Does that mean that the really intelligent folks should divert the CO laden exhaust toward the ground to ensure more opportunity for it to "rise" and enter the coach?

Talk about getting ones facts straight. WOW!!

Actually that plumbing fixture makes the whole rig look like an upside down toilet.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:10 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As I motioned in the beginning, if the elbow would be immersed into water, it would not be only a noise reduction but it also would provide some limited scrubbing of the CO. CO reaction with water H2O result to mostly H2 & CO2.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:13 PM   #51

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by loulong View Post
Sorry, Dave, you couldn't be more WRONG if you tried. Every statement you made shows your ignorance of the subject.

CO mixes with the air, it does NOT settle to the ground or floor.
CO detectors are NOT mounted near the floor. LP detectors are.
CO detectors are usually mounted about half way up the wall. You've never seen a CO2 detector in an RV.

The Centuri (RV generator goofy pipe) is designed as a SAFETY device, NOT for sound deadening purposes. Most generator noise is from vibration and mechanics, not from exhaust.

The higher you can raise the exhaust, the better. Right near the ground under the rig is certainly NOT the safest way to go.

Not your comment, but RV air conditioners do not use outside air, so they will not draw in anything from the roof area.
Thank you long at least one person here gets it. Gosh better safe than sorry.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:19 PM   #52

Having the same year Superchief albeit a bit bigger I can truthfully say anything that makes these old things look better is worth a few pennies.

What I don't understand is why Dave has a userid starting with "Gary"?

Can we move on now ?

Sorry I meant to ask why "John Day" has a handle of "Gary..."
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:35 PM   #53

Newmar Owners Club
We can move on. Thanks for setting me straight.

I guess the fact that I've never camped in a concrete jungle with neighbors or either side 10 feet away, coupled with the fact that I've never run my generator for 2 or 3 days straight so I could sit inside my rig, has resulted in no real reason for me to worry about these things.

Might I suggest, that when extended periods are spent inside a rig, it might be a good idea to OPEN A WINDOW when cooking and/or running the furnace and or genny.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:19 PM   #54

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMXDave View Post
We can move on. Thanks for setting me straight.

I guess the fact that I've never camped in a concrete jungle with neighbors or either side 10 feet away, coupled with the fact that I've never run my generator for 2 or 3 days straight so I could sit inside my rig, has resulted in no real reason for me to worry about these things.

Might I suggest, that when extended periods are spent inside a rig, it might be a good idea to OPEN A WINDOW when cooking and/or running the furnace and or genny.
I agree, we should move on.

Just a friendly reminder that all the comments made here apply to the safety and comfort of your own family as well as any nearby campers.

Nothing suggested here will sound like so much bother if you ever suffer from losing a loved one from CO poisoning.

Good advice on adding ventilation while cooking or heating with gas. Cheers!
Old 02-05-2011, 01:36 PM   #55

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
To amplify a few statements.

I have had my own generator set off my CO alarm.. This is why I purchased a Gen-Turi When the rig was new 2 hours on a calm day and BEEP BEEP of the CO alarm

With the Gen-Turi 25 hours and no beep

I have also had the rig next door trip my CO alarm when he had no extension.

So when I speak of that happening.. It is EXPERIENCE, not a story I heard but a story of which I am "party of the part" as it were. I am a witness/victim.

So you can say your downturned thing works.. but I know different. KNOW. The Gen-Turi, and other schemes to get it up over the roof, they work.

The next thing of course is the folks who talk about the fresh air intake on the air conditiner..... Since there is no fresh air intake on the air contitioner they are quite literally "Blowing smoke"
Old 02-06-2011, 08:38 AM   #56

I must tell each of you that i really appreciate all the info, pro & con!!! Helps me understand somethings I thought were right or wrong. THANK YOU ALL!!!!!!
The PVC exhaust????? How, what schedual, what attaching mech., and doesn't it melt, how do you transport, won't you please show pictures????