Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-06-2011, 07:53 AM   #57

Monaco Owners Club
Do Snorkles Really Help?

Originally Posted by loulong View Post
...Running it up the side (with a long ugly pipe) will give it a chance to be truly "dispersed" by the wind.

Here's a thought: which is more dangerous, the prospect of CO discharge below the coach, or leakage stemmed by adding extra length to the exhaust?

Do we have firm evidence/testing to assure us that routing exhaust all the way up to the roofline doesn't create a second lethal hazard?

RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2011, 08:00 AM   #58
I use the light drainage pvc. I get it at Lowes. Because air is drawn in at the bottom the pipe does not get too hot.Mine did get soft while in Arizona in the sun.It has one end flared to make a coupling so I cut it in half for storage My generator is located in front with the exhaust directly below the mirror so a bungee cord around the mirror works. My cousin uses a suction cup on the side to hold his.

bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:08 AM   #59
RV neophyte The sweep elbow only enters the vertical stack a short distance.The space around the 1 1/2 entering the larger pipe produces a venturi drawing fresh air in to mix with the exhaust.The additional backpressure is minimal and unless the exhaust is in bad shape it shouldn't be a problem.Which would be better? 99% being directed up or 100% being directed down.The sweep will produce less backpressure than the sharp bend in the chrome sink piece and being a slip fit it probably leaks out under the coach.

Actually if you turned the chrome pipe up amd fabricated a chimney with spacers to sit over it when using the genny and turned it down to look pretty when not.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:26 AM   #60
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Looks pretty, and do I see a little bit of dead grass in the picture ? I see another danger lurking in the shadows. In business for 30 years taught me to look beyond the scope of the problem. Out of respect to your neighbors and your well being, use the extended exhaust above the roof line. May not be the total solution to the problem, but its the best we have at the time.
Bill, enrolled member of Choctaw Tribe. 2005 Fleetwood/Revolution,AFE Filter,Aero Exhaust,Koni FSD shocks,KarKaddy SS. Progressive HW-50C.
okie-dokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:56 PM   #61
Winnebago Owners Club
Let's beat up on people with aqua-hot for a while.

Wait...Their exhaust don't stink (or kill).

two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:44 PM   #62
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Engines usually are not allowed to be run in doors for more than 8-10 secs depending, due to CO poisoning concerns..

In HVAC, you must run all exhaust from gas appliances (other than the 'high efficiency' ones) UP and at least 2 feet past any roof structure within 10 feet... for CO poisoning reasons. HE furnaces/heaters can be routed out the side in most states, but at least 4 feet from any opening (window/door) due to the better 'burn' on these. If you look at the flue of a standard water heater, you'll see that it is, in fact, a 'Genturi', commonly known as 'exhaust augmentation'. Used in this way, the hot exhaust rises in the pipe pulling fresh air in with it. The two mix, and when exited out the top, the CO will be diluted.

The CO detector mounted on the floor is ok..high or low in a room; It makes no difference where you put the detector but not because carbon monoxide and air have approximately the same density. Both are gases and as a result, diffusion alone and the entropy effect will take care of mixing them. Any convection currents and/or forced-air turbulence present will also enable the gases to mix and affect the detector.

It is popularly misconceived that light (low-density) gases will somehow float atop heavy (higher density) gases. Indeed, if the higher density gas was admitted low in the room, and done so in a manner that would not cause much mixing, it would take a while for the gases to become thoroughly mixed by the mechanisms mentioned above. Even so, they would eventually mix.

That said, since time to detection may be of the essence, and in circumstances where the contaminant gas (such as CO from a under floor generator) gets into the room through entry points more or less at floor level, where one puts the detector can become important.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:29 AM   #63
In all this discussion, no one seems to have considered the effect of the sun revolving around our (flat) earth. In my expert opinion, that has to make a difference.
2008 Itasca Meridian 37H & 2015 Flagstaff T12RBST
2011 & 2012 Len & Pat's "One lap of America"
27K miles & 41 states in 13 months - Woo Woo
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:10 PM   #64
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to BlueLine
Don't be sorry John, I'm glad you offered the information and cheap alternative fix. I also appreciated everyone else and their views and opinions. That's what I love about IRV2, it always keeps me thinking. I'm normally a plug-in kinda guy and haven't used the gen much except underway. Every thing posted...keeps every body think'n....that's what we're about.
"The other" George & Barbara, and the 3 Amigo's
Winnebago Adventurer 34V DP
Edenton, N.C.
BlueLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:10 PM   #65
WOW!!! This is a heated debate. I will tell you first hand what happened to us just 4 weeks ago. While traveling from NH to FL we had a mechanical break down in PA, we managed to get to a walmart parking lot, it was late on a friday night so we decided to turn on the gen-set and go to sleep and deal with the problem in the morning. At 2 am we were awoke to our two CO detector alarms, one in the rear bedroom and one in the front area, the one in the rear has a digital read out that was at 420 ppm OMG, we open the front door and got some fresh air then we went back in to unfreeze the rear windows, by the way it is -5 outside. My exhaust exits in front of the rear wheel parallel with the ground pointing to the rear of the coach, I figure that there was now wind to help disperse the fumes and somehow they made ther way into the coach. MAKE SURE THAT YOUR CARBON DIOXIDE TESTERS ARE WORKING PROPERLY BEFORE YOU USE YOUR GEN-SET, IT COULD SAVE YOUR LIFE
wercruising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:20 PM   #66
WERCRUISING Make that your carbon monoxide detector.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:22 AM   #67
Another case for Mythbusters!
Automobilist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:52 AM   #68
National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post

Sorry I meant to ask why "John Day" has a handle of "Gary..."
John Day is a town in Eastern Oregon
I assume this is where Gary is from
2008 National Pacifica 40D DP, 4 slides, 1 1/2 baths; 2007 Honda Odyssey & 2 Segways
FMCA #F415856 & Thousand Trails Elite
Right, left, straight, or stay....decision of the day
Frantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:16 AM   #69
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What about our rear furnace that exhaust at the wall and in my case next to the bedroom slide. I use the front furnace not the rear, and then the hot water heater on gas, it's at the other side of the bedroom slide.
Sunny South Carolina
2004 Pace Arrow 37-C WH W-22
Pete & Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:23 AM   #70
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well, the solution obviously has to be requiring a catalytic converter on every genset that totally converts CO to beer. Then we can change this to a drinking and driving thread.

Ole and Anne Anderson, Highland, Michigan
'02 Adventurer 32V, Ford F-53, ours since 4/08,Goodyears, Konis, SeeLevel, CHF
'84 CJ-7 , 5.3 Chevy, 3" lift, 33's, Detroit Locker, Fiberglas tub, winch, hi-lift
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote