Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2011, 07:34 PM   #1

Cheapskate generator exhaust solution

I wanted something relatively inexpensive to provide a down-turned exhaust tip for our MH's Onan genset - to direct the sound and fumes away in as little offensive a manner as reasonably possible for us and neighboring campers - I was sorta shocked to find commercial tips in the 1 1/2 inch size I wanted running from $30 or so an up!!

SO, here was my problem:

The $7.19 solution:

And the end result:

Obviously, that tip can be aimed as chosen, and cut to whatever lesser degree angle desired - mine was a snug slip fit to the OEM pipe that only needed slight tweaking with pliers to the inside end of the new tip for a tight enough fit to prevent movement or loss. If a more secure fit is wanted or needed, drilling the add-on and use of a screw or 2 for a tighter restraint is easily done.

AND, the price was right!

Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2011, 07:40 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is a good idea! I wonder if the sound would be reduced even more if the tip would be immersed into a pail or a pan filled with water?

Old 02-03-2011, 07:53 PM   #3

That is only putting the fumes closer to the ground . They still can enter the coach. I used an electrical EMT sweep with a coupling that fits perfectly. I face it up into a length of lightweight three inch pvc Spacers center it producing a venturi affect and sending the fumes above the roof.My version of the genturi.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bldrbob View Post
That is only putting the fumes closer to the ground . They still can enter the coach. I used an electrical EMT sweep with a coupling that fits perfectly. I face it up into a length of lightweight three inch pvc Spacers center it producing a venturi affect and sending the fumes above the roof.My version of the genturi.
To each his own - I'm sure there are MANY other solutions that will be used by others - this was mine, and *I* and happy with it - would rather take my chances with a SHORT exhaust route to the ground for dispersal, than a longer, uglier one up the side of our MH towards the rooftop and our nearby ceiling vent - for obvious reasons.

YMMV - and usually does...
Old 02-03-2011, 09:34 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
cut off the nipple end

and no one would know its a plumbing piece

oh
and its a good idea
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:52 PM   #6

If you ever find yourself in a ralley where everyone is close together they will not let you use your cheapskate solution.Other posts have stories about people that woke up dead from exhaust fumes not being dispursed.That is why having an ugly exhaust is better than a beautiful funeral.

Do a search for generator Vs CO and go down to post #10 on12-26-10
Old 02-03-2011, 11:14 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
"that woke up dead"

Huh?
Old 02-04-2011, 07:05 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Plumbing!
I love it and gotta get me one of those. I hate the short ugly lil pipe on my genny. Need to aim it out the back to, now it's on the side... right below my bedropom window!
Old 02-04-2011, 07:36 AM   #9
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I went the opposite direction, from a down turned pipe to a straight pipe after I noticed the burnt grass under the pipe.

I was concerned about a fire hazard when boondocking and discoloring the pavement when on a hard surface.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:34 AM   #10

Hope you all have working carbon monoxide detectors.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topflite51 View Post
"that woke up dead"

Huh?
Happens all the time...............

No longer RVing. Happy Trails to you.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:12 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
To each his own - I'm sure there are MANY other solutions that will be used by others - this was mine, and *I* and happy with it - would rather take my chances with a SHORT exhaust route to the ground for dispersal, than a longer, uglier one up the side of our MH towards the rooftop and our nearby ceiling vent - for obvious reasons.
Are you serious?

Diverting the exhaust downward does nothing to help disperse the CO. CO is NOT heavier than air, nor does it settle to the ground. It mixes with the air. By diverting it to the ground you have only insured that it has more chance to hang around long enough to enter your sleeping space. Running it up the side (with a long ugly pipe) will give it a chance to be truly "dispersed" by the wind.

Unless you have specifically installed a reverse flow fan in your RV (which I highly doubt), there is nothing on the roof to draw the fumes into your ceiling vents.

You need to wake up! That's not a flame, that's just advice to not depend on that thing being any help in ensuring that you WILL wake up, and NOT be permanently put to sleep by CO.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:32 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
If you want to know what it is like for the family survivors of a CO poisoning victim ask me. My brother died of CO. Divert your exhaust to the roof line, you will save lives, if not your own, then maybe your grandchild. My gosh think of someone else beside yourself. Your neighbor's grandchild, how would you like to live with the fact that YOUR genny exhaust killed that child???
Sucks.
I miss my brother everyday and it has been 8 years, the families never forget.
Wake up please.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:49 AM   #14

JEEZE - with all the tears about dangers of generator use with Onan type generators, and since virtually all RV makers are STILL pretty much using the same exhaust designs they have for DECADES, perhaps we have grist for a class action lawsuit?

I'm as safety conscious regarding exhaust fumes as most, but I swear, if *I* was as paranoid as some here seem to be concerning those type fumes, I'd not go out in traffic or walk behimd my own lawnmower!

And I'd DERN certain, NEVER dare actually USE that onboard genny I paid good $$$ for!

My thread offering was purely to show an inexpensive alternative way to dress up the OEM exhaust pipe, with the added benefit to at least in a small way direct exhaust flow as desired - as I pointed od in my OP, that tip doesn't HAVE to be aimed DOWN - it CAN rotate 360 degrees as desired or needed - and at LEAST, avoids aiming noise and flow directly into the neighboring campsite as it did before!

Sorry I offered the info...