Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2008, 04:27 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
I bought a 2006 Holiday rambler vacationer in march of 2008. The coach had around 10 k miles on it then.I stipulated as a part of the deal that the oil and filters would be changed.The staff at LAZY DAYS assured me that the job had been done.So today 8 months and 4000 miles later my local mechanic brought to my attention that the oil filter was dated with black marker December 2006.Two years old and who only knows the mileage.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2008, 04:27 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I bought a 2006 Holiday rambler vacationer in march of 2008. The coach had around 10 k miles on it then.I stipulated as a part of the deal that the oil and filters would be changed.The staff at LAZY DAYS assured me that the job had been done.So today 8 months and 4000 miles later my local mechanic brought to my attention that the oil filter was dated with black marker December 2006.Two years old and who only knows the mileage.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:51 PM   #3

I had the same thing happen on one on of mine. I took it in for an oil, filter, lube. They called said it was all set. I take a peek under and see the oil filter I had marked with a sharpie. My name and a date. Brought it to the attention of the sales and service manager. They called the tech over asked he swore up and down he changed the filter oil and so forth. They had him look and when he got up with a sheepish look they informed him he was fired. Stupid guy loosing his job over an oil change/lie.

W
Old 11-13-2008, 04:18 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In 1972, we bought a new Olds cutlass. 3000 miles later, per instructions, we brought it back to the dealership for an oil change and a couple of warranty items. They gave it back to us, supposedly with the oil change done (I paid for it) and the warranty items corrected via the written list. I'm not sure why but I looked at the dipstick and discovered that the oil looked as dirty as when I brought it in. When I showed the dipstick to the service manager, he said that our car "must have missed a station.". I learned my lesson. From that date on, I've changed the oil in all of our vehicles, now including our RV. In those 36 years, none of them has ever "missed a station" again.

If you think that not getting the oil changed is a problem, consider this. On most MHs, over half of the preventive maintenance is inspections. Hoses, fan belts, fuel systems, etc. For Freightliner chassis, the costs of these inspections are supposed to be built into the "M" series maintenace. So, owners pay for the maintenance and have no way to verify that any of the inspections were done or potential problems discovered. I suspect that some of the roadside breakdowns that occur could have been prevented IF the required component inspections were properly done.

I'm certainly not the sharpest knife in the drawer but I methodically and carefully examine each area on the inspection list, every time that it is due. I've found a number of items that I believe could have caused us problems and replaced them on my own timetable, not while we were trying to enjoy our RV. I try to continually learn from the collective experiences of those on this forum about what to look for and where to look for it. I simply view it as an ongoing education process. If my mechanic ever does mess up, I'll get a chance to yell at him the next morning - in the mirror while I shave.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 05:52 AM   #5

I don't have a story of dealer negligence on my own vehicles, but I do nearly everything myself. A story comes to mind from a man I chatted with in Camping World. His daughter had the oil changed in her Suburban by a dealer and shortly thereafter the engine seized and the cause was no oil. They took it back to the dealer and they said no way was it their fault. The man asked them to show him how they filled it with oil. He then asked them to dispense some oil from the unit. It was dry and only blew air which did still register quarts of oil. They got a new engine from the dealer. I thought it was incredible that the cause was discovered especially considering that the dry oil drum could have been filled since the incident.
Then there was the Jiffy Lube thread a while back where they routinely claimed they changed the oil when they had not. A video camera documented the whole thing.
I agree with chasfm11 that crawling under the MH for oil changes and lubing is a great way to find problems. Over seven year I have found hanger strap on my generator exhaust bad and several loose bolts that allowed oil to seep.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 01:55 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My wife used to say to me all the time "What are you doing under the Motor Home now?- Your always there!".

I finally told her that's where everything is--

She hasn't asked that again for a long time now
Old 11-14-2008, 08:00 PM   #7

I also have an inherent distrust for most mechanics, because I've known quite a few. While some are very good, it seems that just as many are not.

That is why I had a really good feeling lately when I had the M3 service done in Gaffney. They discovered cracked front brake pads while inspecting and lubing the wheel hubs. While it was pricey, it was definitely worth it. One practice I have used at a new shop is to tell them to save all replaced parts for my inspection. Filters, nuts, bolts, everything. The shop gets the idea that I am serious about the work that they are doing.

Sarge

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 09:30 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SargeW:
I also have an inherent distrust for most mechanics, because I've known quite a few. While some are very good, it seems that just as many are not. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes!!!

And mine always gives me the replaced parts for inspection.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:17 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I brought this situation to Lazy Days attention.They asked for copys of my service receipts. They claim that they will reimburse me for the work that they did not do.So I will wait and see what they do
Old 12-19-2008, 11:33 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I was very pleased to receive a check in the mail by Lazy Days for the amount of the neglected service work.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:18 AM   #11

And THIS is why I do my own service.

1984 Ford B-700/ThomasBuilt bus conversion
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 02:15 PM   #12

Good for Lazy Days to pay you back. Now, I wonder what they did to make sure this sort of thing doesn't happen again.
rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:40 PM   #13

The only way you can be 100% sure the work is done correctly is to do it yourself.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:08 AM   #14

service ripoffs

I worked for a auto dealership for 28 years, I fired quite a few techs for not doing the service work,I am 76 years old and i do my own service work,got tired of bring my rig back for missed grease fitting ,to not changing filters and oil, they are not the ones sitting alongside a Interstate, because of there shabby work,check before you leave the service center, now dont laugh, get a mirror with a handle if you cant crawl under your rig to see the filters or see if drain plug was removed.

Sal Avitabile