Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2017, 08:16 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Check Engine Light

I have a 2010 Allegro Bus 43QRP. The check engine light came on during our last trip out. I have an auto ODB scanner. What I'm reading seems to indicate that this type of device won't read the diesel codes. I also can't find a port under the dash. Can anyone confirm that the scanner won't work or tell me where the port is if they do ? Any other advice on how to determine the code short of taking bus in for service ? Thanks, George

2010 Allegro Bus 43QRP
glsponchos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2017, 08:18 AM   #2

Plug in

The port for my coach is in the engine compartment.
Ks4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:04 AM   #3

The port is under the dash usually just to the left of the steering column in a bracket. It will be a round plug so the car OBD scanner won't plug into it. The one back in the engine compartment by the radiator is for the transmission I believe. I have a ScanGauge D connected to my plug so I can read digital reading instead of the gauges on the dash. I like to actually see temperatures and oil pressures in numbers. It also reads the check engine codes if you get one.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:14 AM   #4

many times the FREIGHTLINER dash readout will give the codes, but you need to tell it to give them to you - generally a set of button presses/directions on the 4-way toggle switch, depending on your year/model... I will admit, though, these 'codes' aren't necessarily easy for us owner's to decipher, a call to FL customer service will help.

also, there are several different 'engine' type alerts, some not so important as others, and are not always to do with the engine itself.

-an OUTLINE of an engine may only be an alert for emissions related issues, at least if you have DEF requirements

-if the Outline includes the 'check engine' wording, then the engine is the subject
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:42 AM   #5

I am sure it could be a lot of things but I have a new Freightlinner chassis and twice thus far in 18 months my check engine light was the result of nox sensor going bad. My computer plug was on the back above the radiator not under the dash.

WDK
WillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:50 AM   #6

As others have said, there is a bunch of causes for a CEL. One thing I have found that will cause a light is not letting the WAIT light time out before each and every start. This seems to confuse the ECM and cause a CEL at some point.
Old 07-23-2017, 03:17 PM   #7

There is actually a law that states an OBD2 port must be within 3 feet of the driver. Not sure I'd that applies to RVs though. The ecm access port is a round plug that looks similar to the 7 pin trailer plug. Mine is mounted to the steering column. Are there symptoms or just a CEL?
rinker5959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:06 PM   #8

My 2004 Fleetwood Revolution does not have a data port in the front. It is located in the engine compartment.

It has the Round J1708 plug. I have a Scanguage D and I ran an Ethernet cable from the engine compartment to the drivers area.
Works fine.
Ront77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:13 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
No apparent symptoms. The light just came on while driving. We were in a really rough patch of road at the time.
glsponchos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:22 AM   #10

Rough road my be your answer. All it takes is a split second blip in power to trigger an alarm.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:49 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
An automotive OBDII reader will not retrieve codes from a DP since the diesel uses a different communication protocol.

Tags
check engine light, engine, light