Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-12-2015, 09:27 PM   #1
Check Engine Light and cruise control

Hi, I'm not sure if this belongs under the Cummins Engine forum, the Allison Transmission Forum, the Freightliner Forum, or where. Sorry, but this is long. I've already spent about $2000 trying to find a fix. I took my 2002 Bounder in for preventative maintenance about three months ago. A month after that I took it back in because I lost a valve that puts and keeps air in the air bags. During that fix the unit wouldn't start. They found an in line fuse blown that went from the battery to the ECM. They believe a loose wire caused the problem and fixed it. Unfortunately the check engine light was now on. They said the code was for the cold weather starting of the engine. When I got on the road I found the Cruise Control would not work when the Check Engine light was on. I realized that my cruise control is used to idle up my engine during cold weather start up to get warm. During this time no one noticed I had two 6 volt coach batteries that were poor. I've had three places try and fix the problem without success. I had the first repair place (an Allison Authorized repair center try and fix it as they had done the pm service for me. After many hours there was no success. The engine is a 300 Turbo charged Cummins. Next I took it to a Cummins Dealer. I figured a cruise control problem would be engine related. They couldn't fix the problem. They spent a lot of time running down wires and testing everything. And lastly I took it to a Freightliner Dealer since the Chasis is a Freightliner. They could not fix it either. No one found the low coach batteries. The Chasis batteries are fine now. I replaced all four Coach batteries and have found some improvement. The Check Engine light was off after replacing the batteries and the Cruise Control worked again. For 100 miles that is. After about a 100 miles the Check Engine light came back on and the Cruise Control quit working. The light would go out after about a mile and the cruise would work again for about a mile. Check Engine light on again. So I was thinking maybe a relay or something is getting hot triggering the light and shutting off the cruise. On my trip back home I kept the cruise control off and never tried to use it to see if the Check Engine Light would come on. The entire trip went with no Check Engine light coming on. One other thing I found was if I have my units batteries shut off I can start the engine, but not engage the cruise. If I turn the batteries on the Cruise will go into the cold weather start if I hit the resume feature after starting the engine and the rpm's increase like they are supposed too. Sorry for the length, but wanted everyone to know the whole picture. Thanks for any ideas. Chuck

crkoral is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2015, 09:15 AM   #2
I think that you need to figure out the source of the check engine light. It will produce a fault or trouble code. Some codes will automatically switch off your cruise control. I had some of the same problems with intermittent check engine light & cruise. Sometimes it would work for 300 miles and others 2 miles. Sometimes I could turn it off and back on and it would clear the CE light. Sometimes not. Drove me crazy! Finally figured out it was the coolant level sensor was going bad and was shorting out. The temp was OK but it kept thinking that it was low on water. Once I got the codes I could figure it out. Without the codes you're flying blind.

I didn't have a place for a laptop to run the silverleaf program so I just bought a Scanguage D so I could read my fault codes. Until you figure out the check engine light I think you're hunting ghosts with the rest of it.

Bruce & Teresa
2000 Foretravel U320 4010
Cummins ISM 450hp
Allison HD4060R 6 Spd W/Retarder

Bruce & Teresa
2000 Foretravel
U320 4010
ecurb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 10:20 AM   #3

X2, on Bruce's advice. Getting the code as the CE light happens will be the best first step.

EDIT: By the way, my Freightliner wiring schematic shows 5 ; yes five ; battery power fuses dedicated to the Cummins ECM. If you had problems with one of those fuses there is a possibility others may be in trouble too.
I got my wiring schematic , by joining " Access Freightliner".
99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 09:23 PM   #4
Hi,, Thanks for the ideas and suggestions. When I picked up my RV for a trip after some work was completed the company said a service engine code came up. It had to do with the cold weather startup they said. They did not try and fix it as I was leaving on a trip. I took it to a Cummins Dealer and had them try and fix the code. They were unable to fix the issue, but took it to a Freightliner Dealer to have them try and find the issue.
Freightliner then said it found two codes. 381 and 382. They say 381 is the intake air heater and it cannot be fully energized by ECM. Code 382 is possible white smoke and or hard starting keeps getting logged. They were not sure how to correct the issue so I had them discontinue working on the problem. Freightliner had worked on the issue for about 12 hours which was quite expensive.
I never see any white smoke and have let it idle and even while driving I see nothing in the rear view mirror. I never have any issues with it starting. It fires right up each time. The only time the check engine light comes on is while driving for awhile and then it goes off for awhile.
At this point I don't plan on spending a lot of money trying to run down the issue. It's already cost a lot. I'm thinking of taking it to an RV dealer and see if they have better luck with it. But on the other hand I'm thinking of continuing using the RV and just wait until the light comes on and stays on. I really believe it is somehow connected to the cold weather start up procedures/operations. I feel that because it was the initial code the first repair place came up with and since the problem causes my cruise control to not work when the check engine light is on and that is part of the cold weather start up. In cold weather after starting the engine I hit the resume feature on the cruise and it idles the unit up to 1000 rpms until the engine is warm. So maybe the issue is in that cold weather stuff???????
I appreciate everyones input and ideas. I also have a friend that works on diesel engines and pass on your thoughts to him.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:26 PM   #5
Bruce and Teresa I forgot to ask how much a silverleaf program or a Scanguage D costs and where I can get one. Thanks, Chuck
Old 10-18-2015, 09:31 PM   #6
Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Why don't you give the Freightliner Service Center in Gaffney SC a call. Freightliner builds the RV chassis there, and all they do there is work on RV's. They also have the national help desk, and access to plant personnel. If they can't fix it, I suspect it can't be fixed.
DaveB, Raleigh, NC
2015 Tiffin RED 33AA
2014 Honda CRV
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 10:25 PM   #7
Scangauge D
2 stroker
2006 Country Coach Inspire 360 40ft Genoa Designer Series, Samsung 197 RR
Cat C9--STEEL & COPPER Bolt Together Radiator w/ updated rubber mountings
SilverLeaf 330 Magnum 2812 PSW 2011 Ford Edge Sport-Air Force One
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:45 PM   #8
Once again thanks for the great info. I'm going to get the scangaugeD and also contact the Freightliner service center as recommended. It'll be a week or so before I get the gauge. I'll post what I learn with the gauge when I get it. Chuck
Old 10-21-2015, 12:08 PM   #9
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Get a ScanTool for $30 connects to your laptop, tablet, or smartphone.

Amazon.com: ScanTool 425801 OBDLink SX USB: OBD Adapter/Diagnostic Scanner for Windows: Automotive
36' Itasca Meridian DP, now 2005 Newmar Scottsdale 34' Gas
Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 12:31 PM   #10
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
Get a ScanTool for $30 connects to your laptop, tablet, or smartphone.

Amazon.com: ScanTool 425801 OBDLink SX USB: OBD Adapter/Diagnostic Scanner for Windows: Automotive

OBD is not for heavy diesels. They use a different diagnostic interface. This tool is for 1995 and newer gasoline engines.

2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freightliner XC, CAT 3126B
slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 09:40 PM   #11
Ok, I'm back with more info. I received my scan guageD and did a 250 mile round trip. Prior to the trip I had erased the codes. I forgot to write them down. During the first 150 miles of the trip no problems and no codes. A little after that I had two codes pop up. One was 59 and the other is 123. This is what I found on a web site with codes for the Cummins engine (123 Low Voltage Detected at Boost Pressure Sensor). Not sure what that really means. I got that info from the following web page http://www.heavydutypowertrain.com/md200codes.pdf The second code was 59 which I cannot find anywhere. According to my manual for scan gauge after the fault code number there is supposed to be an FM number and a CNT number. Both of those are zeros. I thought I did see somewhere that a code 59 had something to do with some pressure sensor harness being low.. Are these codes serious issues that can damage the engine? Thanks. Chuck
Old 10-26-2015, 07:31 PM   #12
Here is some further info I found out from the Scan Gauge people. They say fault code 59 means transmission finger gear shift issue????? The reading is above normal. Fault 123 is Transmission clutch pressure above normal. So I just had the Transmission fluid and filters changed about six months ago. I've put on about 2,000 miles tops. Does it mean the shop did a poor job on the transmission work???????? Thanks,

check engine light, cruise control, engine, light