Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2013, 08:30 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check engine under exhaust braking

My 2004 Cummins ISC with Allison 6 speed tranny is throwing a Check Engine I code when using the exhaust brake at low speeds (20-30 MPH). Everything seems to be running fine but I got the code 4-5 times on a 1000 mile trip. Any ideas?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2013, 08:42 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Have a Cummins shop see if it has thrown a code or not.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Old 12-29-2013, 12:03 AM   #3

check air filter and fuel filter same thing happened to me I added a fuel additive and it has not happened to me since I have a Cummings but that should not make any difference.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:36 AM   #4

How is your coolant level? Low level will also give you a Check Engine Alarm. Also have you Pressure Cap on the Coolant Expansion Tank tested. I fiddled with mine for a year and finally checked the Pressure Cap and found it releasing pre mature. Had to test three new ones before I found a good one.
Put on the new cap and have not had a CE Light since.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:00 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
May not be related, but our new 2014 Itasca Ellipse was experiencing an intermittent exhaust brake and engine check light on several runs during our first 3,000 miles. We visited the Freightliner Factory Service Center in Gaffney, SC at ODO 1,400 miles and they pursued possible wiring issues within the three chassis firewall connectors, Freightliner harness connections, not Winnebago. Though they found a suspect loose connector, they were not positive of a fix. They cleared all the transmission and engine codes and sent us on our way. At ODO 3,100 miles we again had intermittent exhaust brake, derated engine performance and engine check light. Outside Fredericksburg, VA we stopped at Liberty Equipment Repair, a Freightliner service center. They found various related codes for DPF and Derate. Troubleshooting code 3559, they discovered a Cummins known issue for ECM Calibration which experiences excessive 3559 code throws, an issue apparently corrected by Cummins software update version EB90001.18, we had .14. However, they did not yet have the newer version and although only a Freightliner service center, they did upload version .17 on the engine computer, the most current version they had at the time. It takes about six weeks for most Freightliner SC's to receive updates whereas Cummins SC's get daily updates. In any case, we have yet to have any recurring issues and now at ODO 3,900. I will update if issue persists.
ChrisKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:14 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you very much for the informative answers. Thor did not put a coolant overflow tank on this coach :-( the overflow simply runs down to the ground. It took a gallon of coolant ( not including what I spilled on me). And most of that ran back out once the engine. I don't think it is a coolant issue.

The air filter indicator shows it is time for replacement. I just put the coach back into winter storage and I will replace the air & fuel filters in the spring. The air filter is in a tough place to get at.

I think I will look into adding a coolant overflow tank so I can monitor coolant level.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:25 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Question??? Why are you using your engine brake at such slow speeds?????
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
I don't bother having it on when running around towns - or even on the highways unless grades are steep, but I think you will find there are a large proportion of RVers who just leave the switch on permanently. Would drive me mad, but ...
Old 12-30-2013, 08:09 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I use the exhaust brake anytime on the road, of which saves a great deal of wear on the coach brakes. Typically I use the Low setting, and High only on the steep mountain grades. The exceptions are roads posted 'no exhaust brakes' and in residential areas.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:20 PM   #10

Our Cummins was doing the same thing at all speeds and we took it to a Cummins dealer and they found a sensor mis-alined and corrected. Was a simple fix for them since they knew what to look for.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:40 PM   #11
GKW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisKW View Post
I use the exhaust brake anytime on the road, of which saves a great deal of wear on the coach brakes. Typically I use the Low setting, and High only on the steep mountain grades. The exceptions are roads posted 'no exhaust brakes' and in residential areas.
The typical later model RV exhaust brake doesn't make enough noise to be noticeable. Some of the older 18 wheelers can really raise a racket, and are the ones the posted "no exhaust brakes" apply to.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:06 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
To save wear & tare on my brakes in close traffic.

Question:
What do multiple question marks mean?
Old 12-31-2013, 08:16 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Question:
What do multiple question marks mean?
Means he must have held the ?????????????? key down to long.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:44 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Follow-up to our December 2013 post regarding 'Intermittent Exhaust Brake' on our 2014 Itasca Ellipse, and an occasional 'Check Engine light'. Turns out the issue(s), which persisted as intermittent since new in November 2013 through this August, are two unrelated issues. The engine check light issue was resolved by Cummins Service Center in Tampa under a known Engine ECM Recalibration issue, basically a firmware update to version 8.0.2.147. The issue can affect some engines and was to be resolved by Cummins releasing ECM version EB90001.18 under service bulletin C1451, called an ISB/L CM2350 Calibration Campaign. The service work order was covered under warranty. The cause of the intermittent exhaust brake on the other hand, was coincidental to the engine check lights. This was an issue when fully releasing the throttle the engine exhaust brake did not consistently engage, and in fact would occasionally either engage or disengage when the coach hit bumps in the freeway. After visiting four separate service shops around the country, and over five thousand miles of driving over nine months, techs were typically left scratching their heads to find the cause, and each time we ended up paying for labor at each shop visit because without a confirmed repair or ECM alert code related to the issue the service centers cannot charge Freightliner or Cummins). Just two weeks ago I discovered the source of the problem. Having driven large diesel trucks for a number of years in my former military days, I did something completely unnecessary with our coach, but I did it as I pulled onto a freeway off ramp. When the exhaust brake did not engage (again like so many hundreds of times in the past months) I guess out of continued disappointment I pumped the throttle quickly like I did in the old days to bump up the engine rpm to match gears on a downshift to a lower gear. Like I said, completely unnecessary when you are driving with an automatic Allison 3000 6-speed. But, to my amazement the exhaust brake engaged, and every time it intermittently failed over the next several days the remedy was always full-proof. I did some research and learned there are two sensors on the Freightliner/Cummins Custom Chassis; a Throttle Pedal Position Sensor located on the throttle pedal assembly in the driver cab, and a Throttle Position Sensor on the Cummins diesel engine. Which is at fault? Turns out when the exhaust brake failed, instead of a quick pump of the throttle a slight back pressure on the pedal engaged the exhaust brake, meaning by sliding my foot under the pedal and pulling it towards me, the throttle was fully retarded and the exhaust brake engaged. As such, Cummins near Orlando confirmed that the Throttle Pedal Assembly needs be replaced and has one now on order. Takes about three weeks to arrive and then we will know for certain. The other unknown is which company will cover the under-warranty replacement, Freightliner or Cummins? We'll see soon, and as we begin to plan our trip over the Rockies this next spring we are certainly happy to know we can rely on a fully operational exhaust brake!