Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2015, 09:08 AM   #15
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanSully View Post
next week we are getting our first motorhome! We put 5k down at the RV show and will be bringing an additional 50k to the dealer when we sign. My question is about the bank check we will have for the dealer. Seems a bank check can be made out to the dealer ( that's what they prefer) or to us ( what we prefer) and we would sign it over to dealer. Since we still need to take a test drive and do the PDI I am nervous about having a check made out to a company. What if the deal falls through? I am thinking that dealer wouldn't let the deal fall through just because we have to sign over a bank check to them. Any thoughts?
Thanks!
Make the check copayable (in both names, you and the dealer) one can't cash without the others signature.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2015, 01:56 AM   #16

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpatch View Post
Make the check copayable (in both names, you and the dealer) one can't cash without the others signature.
That's what I've done.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 02:48 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I made a $1,000 deposit to the dealer in San Diego and then flew down to finalize the deal on my MH. I had the bank make out the bank check to the dealer (no financing needed, it was out-of-pocket). No problems.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 05:13 AM   #18

I believe Smitty77 has it right on the head.

I went through that same scenario. I checked out several sites and found the one I just had to have. I made contact with them and they wanted a $500 deposit, no way I told them. I told them my intentions and I would be paying off the purchase with a certified check. Upon showing up and talking to them they tried switching the purchase on me. Just give us the money and we can talk. I got out of there. I did show them the certified check btw.
Old 09-26-2015, 11:08 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sounds like the dealer is where you live

Take your checkbook test drive if happy with deal and financing write personal check for 50k

Tell them you want the unit made ready for pickup when the check clears
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 11:15 PM   #20

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When we got the Magna I just made out a personal check for the $50,000 down. They deposited it before we were through with all the paperwork! I was quite surprised to say the least.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 11:33 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
We looked
Test drove
Made a deal, put $1000 down on Visa and on the paperwork deposit was fully refundable (could charge back anyway)
We had the bank transfer the balance on scheduled day of delivery and drove home
We had a couple of issues afterwards and took to a local (non diesel) FW dealer and our original dealer handled everything
No issues since and I think our dealer was great, when we get to the mainland we always stop by for coffee enroute to destination and usually buy some parts goodies!
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 11:48 PM   #22
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
In purchasing 6 coaches, I've only had one I regretted dealing with.

AND of course, it's the only one I paid for in advance AND the only one I had to spend a ton of dough on to fix everything wrong with it.
Old 09-27-2015, 06:55 AM   #23

Thanks

Thanks everyone for all the great information. The tips and cautionary stories have been taken to heart. We do hope all goes well, but have learned here that we need to be prepared for many contingencies-- and get anything and everything in writing!
Mae
Old 09-27-2015, 07:10 AM   #24

Was the offer conditional to an inspection?
Old 09-27-2015, 08:00 AM   #25
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
I have done it a few different ways. The best is still to keep control.
If you have the check in their name, show it and tell them they get the check once you're fully satisfied and ready to drive away. Most don't like a check made out in your name to be signed over.
I have done a direct bank transfer on site after I was satisfied however you have a bit of a wait for confirmation of funds deposited to their bank once initiated.
My favorite or best way still, is to have the check in your name and the dealers name (copayable). This shows the dealer you have the funds in place at the table. Once you're satisfied, it's a simple signature on the back on your part to complete the deal.
Old 09-27-2015, 12:03 PM   #26

You are spending a lot of money to enter a fantastic life style. If you go into it expecting to get screwed then you probably will.
I bought 3 different rigs from three different places. None of them were evil. All of them are in business to make money. All of the rigs had something wrong with them after delivery. All of them had something break in the first month. Sometimes the warranty work was good, sometimes it was not. When I could I fixed it myself.

10 years later I would not travel any other way. And the current rig .. "either it is broken or it is going to break".