Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2012, 10:18 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Check Lists

Just wondering what you use for a pre-trip, pre-return checklist. In one of our very first trips we failed to put our antenna down. Luckily we were alerted by a driver coming from the opposite direction. There are newbies joining us all the time and even I am always interested in how other deal with coming and going. If you have a check list you care to share along with tips and tricks please post so everyone can re-examine our own procedures.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2012, 10:33 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Our pre-departure list is on a card that flips up over the speedometer on the dash when we stop. That way, its a visual reminder easily seen and double-checked before I can turn the key.

I should mention that we full-time, so our list concerns only things that must be stowed/secured/activated before leaving one spot and going on to the next.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:14 AM   #3

For us the wife has several 'check list'. She has one for the beginning of the season when we take the MH out of winter storage. Then she she one for short weekend trips, one for hunting season trips, one for when we take longer trips or go to the 'lower 48' and one for when we put the MH away for the winter. When we break camp to travel, it is my job to do the walk around before we get hit the road. I start at the right front and go around the MH back to the right front. This also included making sure the everything on the trailer is secured. So far this has worked or us. Most places that we camp we can not us the sat TV so making sure the antenna is down has not been an issue.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:37 PM   #4

I loaded an App called RV Checklist. It's editable and also has generic lists. Both long and short trips.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:05 PM   #5

We have developed a packing list, which not only gets the mh ready, but also ensures that we've done everything to secure the house while we are away. Also have a closing procedure for inside the mh and one for my hubby outside. We have an additional packing list for the trips to dulcimer festivals. They are great...we've never forgotten to take something and have never had something damaged because of failing to close the mh properly. I live by them.
free2rv4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:18 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
+1 on RV Checklist.

Kept us from doing the antenna removal step last year.
Fencebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:54 AM   #7

As a retired pilot I use checklists for everything. Well, everything except our last departure with the new rig.

The previous trailer didn’t have a TV that needed to be secured. The new one has a strap. If you don’t secure the TV, you get to buy a new cable and thread it through the cabinet behind the TV.

I now have a checklist.
– Loren
Old 05-07-2012, 10:46 AM   #8

Not exactly a check list but our antenna crank up handle has a clothspin on it. When the antenna goes up the clothspin goes on the steering wheel. Then when we drive away if the clothspin is still on the wheel it's time to stop.

Have a nice day - Darrel
Old 05-07-2012, 11:05 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren B. View Post
As a retired pilot I use checklists for everything. Well, everything except our last departure with the new rig.

I now have a checklist.
– Loren
LOL...I know THAT feeling. I had already developed a checklist and on our maiden voyage this last weekend I added a new item...

"Check for that darn pole on left side of lot when backing in!"

Scared the crap out of me! Almost caught my left mirror.

I'll have to share my "Lock that darn fuel primer" story some day. Archers don't fly well with it unlocked!

As both a pilot and air traffic controller working in a realm of checklists let me say something I think is very important...DO NOT GET CAUGHT UP IN THE LITANY!

It is very easy to get comfortable with checklists and start mentally reciting them from memory or just kind of read them without doing them. You can easily convince yourself that you ran the list when, in fact, you didn't. In aviation it is SOP to have one person run the list and the other verify. In the single pilot world, that isn't always the case.

Some suggestions:

1. Make the list simple and easy to follow.
2. Break it up into components. As an example, have one for plumbing, another securing the coach, another for leveler operation...
3. Get them laminated and use a grease pencil to check them off.
4. Make them accessible. Senior Chief's idea about placement is outstanding. Put them where they will remind you that you need to run them.
5. Consider using placards on equipment that either contain a checklist or remind you to use one.
6. Checklists should contain verified information such as tire pressure charts, perhaps copies (or references) to pages in operators manuals for more complex information and anything else were you need to verify something that might normally change.

It can be a lot of work but as you develop this information, it will often teach you something you didn't know you didn't know.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by athuddriver View Post
It is very easy to get comfortable with checklists and start mentally reciting them from memory or just kind of read them without doing them. You can easily convince yourself that you ran the list when, in fact, you didn't. In aviation it is SOP to have one person run the list and the other verify. In the single pilot world, that isn't always the case.
An excellent point. In the navy, often checklists were "read and do" lists. The airlines have a safer way. Each crewmember will complete his procedures and then the checklist will be completed, with one reading and the other verifying. The procedure is meant to complete all the checklist items, but the checklist is used to (Duh) check.

U.S. Airlines have an incredible safety record. This procedure is one of the many reasons why.
– Loren
Old 05-08-2012, 09:03 PM   #11
AGP

Monaco Owners Club
The wife and I depend on the checklist prior to our trips.
We like to use the checklist in the GPS
Old 05-09-2012, 06:49 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Retired Fire Service RVer's
check lists a must

30 year as a Firefighter we use check list for everything, from, Truck check offs, rescue, medical and even cleaning station on given days. This doesn't even mention Emergency calls.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:11 PM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
My list is simple:

Electric
Water line
Awning
Antenna
Slides
Jacks

In that order.

It sits on the console, and I use it EVERY time. And, yes, I've driven out of campsites with the electric still out, or the awning still out, etc, but that was a long time ago.... before I made a list.

steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote