Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2014, 09:11 PM   #1

Check this out! Need electrical gents on this one!

Had my tail lights and licence plate lights go out the other day, brakes and signals work as well as all my running lights around the whole coach. So I started investigating and came to a connection just before my back lights, on the one side coming from source I have 9 wires 7 pins on load side, 7 holes for the 7 pins with 6 wires going out. Centre pin is ground to the right of it is a spare not used pin to the left is the brown wire to the tail lights coming from source, on the load side centre is ground right is brown and left is empty, connector only fits together one way! How is that possible that it worked? I had to move brown wire to spare pin coming from source! Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2254792019.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	438.1 KB
ID:	55357

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2014, 09:36 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Keep studying and eventually you will find and answer. I really cannot or are too lazy to follower what you are pointing out. However, it did works so it appears to me you are looking for a open ground or broken wire or corroded connection. I would need a meter to work on that rats nest.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:16 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Did you get the problem fixed? If not have you checked the fuse? It appears what your saying is 1. The 12 Volt source/input side of the connector has 9 wires coming in. 2. The load side of the connector 7 pins with 6 wires coming out. If that is what you have, it is not unusual manufacturers do stranger things. You need to probe the connector pins with a test light to see if there is power on any of them. Why did you have to move the brown wire? As targaboat said, it worked before it should work now.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
Did you get the problem fixed? If not have you checked the fuse? It appears what your saying is 1. The 12 Volt source/input side of the connector has 9 wires coming in. 2. The load side of the connector 7 pins with 6 wires coming out. If that is what you have, it is not unusual manufacturers do stranger things. You need to probe the connector pins with a test light to see if there is power on any of them. Why did you have to move the brown wire? As targaboat said, it worked before it should work now. Chuck
On the source side the brown/tail lights wire is to the left of the white/ ground wire, on the load side the brown wire is to the right of the ground. The two sides of the connector will only go together one way. I tested with parking lights on and the only power on source side was brown wire on left side, on left side of load it is a blank so I moved brown wire to the blank put both sides of connector back together and everything works!

My question is how is that possible unless it had two wires on source side feeding load tail lights one on left one on right?
Old 02-05-2014, 10:52 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT2000 View Post
On the source side the brown/tail lights wire is to the left of the white/ ground wire, on the load side the brown wire is to the right of the ground. The two sides of the connector will only go together one way. I tested with parking lights on and the only power on source side was brown wire on left side, on left side of load it is a blank so I moved brown wire to the blank put both sides of connector back together and everything works!

My question is how is that possible unless it had two wires on source side feeding load tail lights one on left one on right?
OK. I think one of the earlier posters answered this but I am going to try again. You have to look at the source side and the load side from the same direction. It happens all the time when people look at sockets and plugs. The plug will be a mirror image of the socket. I am not saying that is what you are seeing but try this. Put it back exactly like you found it initially. then plug the two together. look at the brown wire on one side and see if it coming out on the same side of the plug as the other side. If I understand your post the tail lights were working and then quit. If that is the case what you are describing is very unlikely. Something would have had to been miswired at the plug and something else miswired at the same time in such a manner as to make it work.

I went back and looked at the picture again. let me try to point out what I am talking about on the plugs. Look at your picture we are looking down at what I assume is the source. if you look at the green wire and the yellow wire looking down at the source they are to the left of the center. Now if you pick up what I assume is the load and look straight into the back of the plug the green and yellow wire are to the right of the plug.

Take a VOM check for ohms between the brown wire on the load side and he actual wire going to the tail light. ( take a bulb out and check the center post is one way to be sure) then if that reads shorted identifying that wire then turn on headlights and Check for 12 volts to ground. If no 12 volts there then start looking for why not. You might also check the ground where the tail light is grounded and make sure the light itself has a good ground
Old 02-05-2014, 11:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
OK. I think one of the earlier posters answered this but I am going to try again. You have to look at the source side and the load side from the same direction. It happens all the time when people look at sockets and plugs. The plug will be a mirror image of the socket. I am not saying that is what you are seeing but try this. Put it back exactly like you found it initially. then plug the two together. look at the brown wire on one side and see if it coming out on the same side of the plug as the other side. If I understand your post the tail lights were working and then quit. If that is the case what you are describing is very unlikely. Something would have had to been miswired at the plug and something else miswired at the same time in such a manner as to make it work. I went back and looked at the picture again. let me try to point out what I am talking about on the plugs. Look at your picture we are looking down at what I assume is the source. if you look at the green wire and the yellow wire looking down at the source they are to the left of the center. Now if you pick up what I assume is the load and look straight into the back of the plug the green and yellow wire are to the right of the plug. Take a VOM check for ohms between the brown wire on the load side and he actual wire going to the tail light. ( take a bulb out and check the center post is one way to be sure) then if that reads shorted identifying that wire then turn on headlights and Check for 12 volts to ground. If no 12 volts there then start looking for why not. You might also check the ground where the tail light is grounded and make sure the light itself has a good ground
In the picture you are correct the top of the connector is the source bottom is load, the brown wire for load was over by the green and yellow on load side, I moved it to line up with pin on source side brown wire. From that point everything works which is two tail lights and lic plate, if it was a bad ground or bad wire after connector I shouldn't get anything.

It's worked go 8 years until now and since I moved wire to other pin it works again! Which to me is impossible unless there is 2 feed wires for tail lights coming from source?
Old 02-06-2014, 01:11 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It is indeed possible there are two feed wires, One for the towed and one for the motor home.. Tail lights, epically LED type, will work on either feed.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
It is indeed possible there are two feed wires, One for the towed and one for the motor home.. Tail lights, epically LED type, will work on either feed.
Besides the ground wire, (usually, but not always white), there can be as many as 5 "feed wires" running from the coach to a toad.
One for the tail lights, one for the brake lights, one for the left signal and one for the right signal.....plus in some cases a charge wire for the battery in the toad.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 02-06-2014, 02:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Then of there is possibly two leads then there should be two fuses? Would the tails be separate from the clearance lights and front marker lights do you think?

Tags
electrical