Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2016, 09:14 AM   #1

Check valve advice

The hot water check valve is the bane of my existence. Well, one of the banes anyways. The legacy story follows.

First year, when winterizing, put the valves in the configuration to bypass the hot water tank. Pink antifreeze flowed in anyways. Diagnosis: Check Valve malfunction. Corrective action, sanitized the day lights out of the hot water heater. Then used compressed air to dry the lines before winter (inside) storage.

Last spring, had check valve installed by my selected service shop. It took a long time to run hot water to sinks (see my gallery tank post for probable consequence). Not only that, running hot water made squealing air noises all season long. Hindsight, - check odd stuff out.

Backstory: The former owners enjoyed extended dry camping. To the point of removing the water filter and pumping water from a nearby stream. Consequence - gravel in the freshwater tank? Determined by the fact that last year, the faucets in the kitchen and bathroom sinks would not work. Finally, took the faucet aerator off and dumped out the sand.

This season, all valves in the right position, hot water heater on, and no hot water after a long time of running the freshwater into the gray tank.

Options as I see them.

1. Put an inline water filter back on, just on principle and practice alone.

2. Remove the check valve completely, I'm good with drying the water lines out with air every fall.

3. Remove the check valve completely and spend winters down south. (A few more years of full time employment are required before exercising this option.)

What are your thoughts?

RMSmithJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2016, 09:46 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Doesn't seem like the valves are the problem, seems like the sediment and a less than astute previous owner are your problems. If I was pumping water out of a stream, I'd have two filters, certainly not zero.

TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:03 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mine made noise and the flow was impeded. I took it out for the summer and it was oh so much better. When winter came, I put the valve back in and winterized. I bought a new one before I put it back in service again and it seems to be operating much better than the previous one. Wouldnt it be great if somebody made a quality valve that actually flowed and didnt go bad?
Old 05-09-2016, 08:24 AM   #4

Sounds like you are setting the valve wrong. When you think you are summer operation mode you are in bypass. And when you think you are in bypass you are really in summer operation mode.That's why when you think you are in bypass it is flowing into the water heater. And when you think you are in summer operation mode you are really in bypass and getting no hot water.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:45 AM   #5

The previous owners probably lived in a area with extremely hard water that has left mineral deposits in your plumbing. The sand in faucet strainers is common and will get better with time, you can clean your water heater with vinegar to help remove some of the crud.

I would remove the check valve and install a manual shutoff valve in that line, turn it off to winterize turn it on to use.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:58 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think elf111 has the best idea yet. Im putting one in this fall.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:59 PM   #7

Luqutus wins, my bad.

Mojoracing, since I use air to dry out the lines v pink stuff, you might be on to something.

RMSmithJr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice