Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2014, 04:34 PM   #1

Check your fuel - Ran it dry...

I live half time in my RV, but leave it parked full time. The heat & hot water are from a diesel-fired hydronic unit. It has been colder than usual this winter in west Texas.. Never occurred to me that I might be using more diesel than normal compared with last year.

Well, during my week off, the temps fell down to the low teens. When I retuned the motorhome was cold and the heater module fault light was lit. After a few minutes of trouble shooting I realized the fuel tank was empty (or as close to empty as I've ever seen it - in the middle of the red zone). I switched over to electric backup and then had a local supplier deliver 80 gal of diesel.

Taking a shower the next morning - little water pressure - yep, cracked plastic pipe in the shower faucet. Lots of water to cleanup and dry out.

1. Fuel delivery
2. Plumbing Repair
3. Water cleanup / flood mitigation

All preventable had I only checked the fuel more regularly & if I had left the electric backup on.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2014, 05:46 PM   #2

Some of my education came to me the hard way. Sorry for your problems but sounds like you have it all under control.

Old 02-01-2014, 07:17 PM   #3

American Coach Owners Club
This is my first year with a HH system and I am floored at the amount of fuel I am buring just keeping the heat at 55 degrees (whihc is as low as I can turn it down. I can't use elect as I only have a 20Amp breaker and with the elec element on I am pulling about 18amps, and when the charger kicks on it is well above my power capability plugged in here at the house. Had I known I would use this much fuel I would have made every effort I could to fully winterize.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:03 AM   #4

Good post. When in Dallas about a month ago, we settled in with a little over 1/4 of a tank. An ice storm hit two days later ( we knew it was coming, but it was worse than expected)and the state park lost power. We were using the furnace and the genny for two days. The power came back on but the furnace stopped due to low fuel. Quick trip to Wally World to get a five gallon can and four trips to the gas station for diesel. Lesson learned. Never settle in with less than 1/2 of a tank of fuel.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:13 AM   #5

I'm actually pleased with the fuel consumption. I burned 80 gallons in two months of half time (week on - week off). I confess to liking the temp warm. Also take lots of hot showers. I leave the temp at 50 during the weeks I'm not here. Last year I mad it 3 months on a tank. This year's colder temps caught me by surprise.

The first night - I went to wally world and got a 5 gal diesel container. What a PITA transferring stinky diesel in the dark with the new-fangled safety spouts that require you to twist a safety lock and depress the spout at the same time. With no vent. All while holding the 30 pound can at a awkward angle. Probably spilled a few quarts.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:24 AM   #6

Yes! What's up with the new spouts? What a pain in the ass they are. I spilled a little also. I had to throw out my gloves. DW wouldn't let them in the washer. I ended up cutting my own vent hole in the top of the container to increase the flow.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:01 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks EPA. Another brilliant idea.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgguy View Post
I'm actually pleased with the fuel consumption. I burned 80 gallons in two months of half time (week on - week off). I confess to liking the temp warm. Also take lots of hot showers. I leave the temp at 50 during the weeks I'm not here. Last year I mad it 3 months on a tank. This year's colder temps caught me by surprise.

The first night - I went to wally world and got a 5 gal diesel container. What a PITA transferring stinky diesel in the dark with the new-fangled safety spouts that require you to twist a safety lock and depress the spout at the same time. With no vent. All while holding the 30 pound can at a awkward angle. Probably spilled a few quarts.

Yeah, they are a pain. I can never seem to get all of the gas out of them either when filling a car. You can turn them upside down but I always spill a bit. I've had to put the last gallon or so into a 2 gallon can and then into the car.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:49 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
They, diesel new tanks are a pain. In the past I've gone to West Marine and purchased their h2o tanks. Same structural integrity just not the lousy nozzle. FWIW my Aqua electric capacity to heat generally is kaput at around 40 degrees or a bit lower. Think I'll check my fuel level right now! Fl panhandle has been cold! Nice today, sunny 72 degrees, yea!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:17 PM   #10

American Coach Owners Club
LOL, i just went to Wally World yesterday and bought one of those same 5 gal cans with the crappy EPA spout. Turn the green locking ring, push in on the spout, try and hold a 5 gal can from the top, tilt it so fuel comes out and keep the spout in a sideways fuel door.......It didn't work. I finally took the spout off, unclipped the pivoting door in the spout, took it apart, removed the spring inside, pulled the little pivoting door out, put it back on the can and poured my fuel through a full flowing spout with NO interferneces or twist rings, springs and anti spill pivoting doors. Screw EPA and their safety crap. let them come try and transfer fuel to my coach with one of their mandates.....Whew, sorry, had to rant for a second. That thing really pi$$$ed me off yesterday while I was pouring fuel all over my boot, jeans, down my hand casue there is no handle on the end of the can, down the side of my coach....LOL
Old 02-02-2014, 07:50 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
These work great!

Amazon.com: No-Spill 1457 5-Gallon Poly Diesel Can (CARB & EPA Approved): Patio, Lawn & Garden
Click image for larger version

Name:	61CAyy8tlPL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	55240

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:19 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
These work, close the caps when you smack them into the 1/2 inch hole.

10 Yellow Vent Caps Replacement Gas Can Fuel Jug Blitz Wedco Scepter Essence | eBay

Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel