Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2016, 06:19 PM   #1

Check Your Hitch Bolts!

When was the last time you checked your trailer hitch bolts? As others have mentioned to me in another post, they found the nuts on the their hitch bolts loose. I checked mine today. On one side of the hitch all 4 were tight. On the other side of the hitch all 4 were loose! I was able to get several turns on each nut and could see that 2 of the nuts were not tight enough to compress the lock washer. If you have not checked them in a while take 10 or 15 minutes with some large wrenches you can apply good torque. This will now be on my annual list of things to check.

noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2016, 06:29 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Some Loctite woudn't hurt either.

Old 03-02-2016, 06:49 PM   #3

Exclamation

recently i also found an issue:

After 40k+ miles with our toad, and nary any issue, I walked past the front of my toad and something caught my eye - one of my tow bar-to-toad hitch pins had worked over half way out!
For at least 30k+ miles I have used a simple one piece hitch pin, found at most farm stores, that includes a 'security knob' at the end that flips up after the pin is engaged thru the tow bar. It's designed to provide a simple method without the need for an additional cotter pin or similar to contain the hitch pin. It had somehow(probably operator error!) not been set correctly when installed at the last connection, probably 1000 miles or more!

wheeeeewwwwwww!

'14 FordFocus, KingTailgater2 DishHD, 200w/10a mobile SOLAR, 75,000+ miles
all continental US states, Alaska, and yes, most of Canada!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Some Loctite woudn't hurt either.
Agreed
Old 03-02-2016, 07:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post

After 40k+ miles with our toad, and nary any issue, I walked past the front of my toad and something caught my eye - one of my tow bar-to-toad hitch pins had worked over half way out!
For at least 30k+ miles I have used a simple one piece hitch pin, found at most farm stores, that includes a 'security knob' at the end that flips up after the pin is engaged thru the tow bar. It's designed to provide a simple method without the need for an additional cotter pin or similar to contain the hitch pin. It had somehow(probably operator error!) not been set correctly when installed at the last connection, probably 1000 miles or more!

wheeeeewwwwwww!
I have also wondered if I should use a different hitch pin setup other than what I have currently. My receiver has the standard 5/8" hitch pin with a cotter pin on the end. I have thought about changing it out for a locking hitch pin but theft is not my concern so much as the pins security to stay in place. I think I would feel better if I had a pin that has 2 layers of protection to keep it from slipping out. Maybe a locking pin that also had a place to attach a cotter pin on the end. Just a thought. Maybe I should invent it if it does not exist. If you somehow did not attach you lock properly the cotter pin would be your last line of defense and visa versa.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:59 PM   #6

I'll say this one more time. Since the 1970's, most knowledgeable engineers do not design anything with split lockwashers. It has been shown that they actually compromise bolted joints. I suggest removing the low grade nuts and bolts on your hitch and replacing them with Grade 8 nuts and bolts with hardened flat washers. If they're 1/2 inch, torque to 100 ft lbs. This will more than double the clamping force of the joint.
jmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:04 PM   #7

Here's a link to a brief article on the subject with more links.
http://www.boltscience.com/pages/hel...ingwashers.htm
Old 03-02-2016, 08:35 PM   #8

And one last link. A non technical discussion about fasteners and joints.
http://engineerdog.com/2015/01/11/10...out-fasteners/
Old 03-02-2016, 09:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmckinley View Post
And one last link. A non technical discussion about fasteners and joints.
10 Tricks Engineers Need to Know About Fasteners – EngineerDog
Good articles. Thanks.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:21 AM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
In 2004 I drove our '02 DSDP to the Spartan factory to have a new 14,600# front axle installed in place of the OEM 12,000# one. While on the rack they checked the whole chassis and found the hitch bolts were loose. Torqued them correctly and never had any more trouble with them.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 01:35 AM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post

wheeeeewwwwwww!
I cured that by using locks in EVERY pin on the towbar. Had kids remove a hitch pin at a Home Depot one time on my utility trailer. Didn't suspect a thing till I started to leave and say a group watching me too intently so I stopped and checked. I always carried extra pins so I used one and left.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 11:31 AM   #12

I'll toss in the advice to also add yearly maintenance to check your toad baseplate mount bolts. I found one loose the first time I checked ours, and since then have had three friends tell me they found some of their baseplates bolts loose too...

Best to all,
Smitty
Old 03-05-2016, 06:28 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I cured that by using locks in EVERY pin on the towbar. Had kids remove a hitch pin at a Home Depot one time on my utility trailer. Didn't suspect a thing till I started to leave and say a group watching me too intently so I stopped and checked. I always carried extra pins so I used one and left.
Makes you wonder why they would think that would be funny. Could have killed someone.
HDCVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 06:49 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by noserider View Post
When was the last time you checked your trailer hitch bolts? As others have mentioned to me in another post, they found the nuts on the their hitch bolts loose. I checked mine today. On one side of the hitch all 4 were tight. On the other side of the hitch all 4 were loose! I was able to get several turns on each nut and could see that 2 of the nuts were not tight enough to compress the lock washer. If you have not checked them in a while take 10 or 15 minutes with some large wrenches you can apply good torque. This will now be on my annual list of things to check.
Thanks for the reminder

Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote