Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2016, 09:39 AM   #43
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
That's the problem I ran into when I upgraded from 6 to 8 batteries. Even the OEM tray manufacturer couldn't supply anything that didn't require drastic modifications on the mounting brackets on the RV. We had to rebuild the original tray to fit, then realized that the weight distribution was different and had to rebuild the frame. The whole thing is about 90% new steel and 10% old components. My mechanic is cheap (friend) but we spent a lot of time on it. The end result looks nice but created a new problem. The rear battery caps were no longer out in the open and accessible. My Pro-Fill system has been shipped, and expected to arrive any day.

Nice job Scotty!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2016, 11:35 AM   #44

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Nice job Scotty!
Thanks. My friend's wife wanted a GoPro for Christmas so Santa Clause brought her one. It's funny how you can start out thinking something is going to be easy, then you end up chasing other problems.

I am anxious to see the Pro-Fill installed. Thanks to everyone here that recommended it.

Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:45 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
Right Joe! That's what I do. There is no need to see the water level. I just push down and listen for the water to stop flowing.
X2 here. Just bought the bottle and loving it.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 11:10 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
Joe, Your battery filler from Amazons is too big, we have very little clearance and Dan, we have been in contact with Morryde and other slideout mfgs. None fit our MH. We even looked into custom and way to pricey.
There was a discussion, including pictures and instructions, of how to build your own custom sliding tray. I can't remember which group it was on but if you search IRV2 for home made basement slide out trays you should find it.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 11:41 AM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
Another Pro-Fill fan here. I keep a gallon of distilled water in my "fluids" tote (the tote in the "basement" that I stick anything liquid in - i.e., coach oil, hydraulic fluid, Tire Shine spray bottles, etc.) Got in the habit of hooking up the battery fill hose before every trip (We tend to move weekly when we're on the road). It's rare that the batteries accept much liquid (because of the frequency I'm checking/filling them). Might be overkill ... but it certainly reduces the likelihood I'll be surprised by how low they are.
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 05:37 AM   #48

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Another fan of flow-rite. I bought mine after I installed new Trojans....I had let the old ones die due to watering issues. Trojan's water kits looked great but were too expensive for me. I researched alternatives here in IRV2 and learned of Flow-rite. Bought two kits in 2014 from Amazon and have been very, very pleased. With the hand pump you can even drain the unused distilled water right back into the gallon jug. I have a slide out for my batteries, but even with it, there wasn't enough room to see into the back cells without a flashlight and the requisite head knock...everytime!. With flow-right, it is just a quick snap hook-up, couple of quick pumps on the pump ball and you are done.

Flow-Rite RV2000 Pro-Fill RV Edition 2 Battery Kit (and purchase the hand-pump too...worth the extra money).
Old 01-15-2016, 07:09 AM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
I have 6 House batteries (use a lot of solar) got the auto fill, pump the bulb tell batteries are full check about every 2 weeks.
Old 01-15-2016, 07:57 AM   #50

I had seen the pump fill systems at RV shows, but dismissed them as a $10 bag of plastic parts for over $100. A neighbor at a rally convinced me to look at the value instead of the manufacturing cost. It made sense. I now have wet cells (at half the cost of AGM's) with no acid spills and a few minutes of effort every month or two.

The easier it is, the more likely it is to get done.
Old 01-23-2016, 03:06 PM   #51

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
There are a LOT of products where you can argue one might be better than the other. I think one exception to this is the ProFill system. There is NO simpler, safer, easier way to fill batteries. The caps are sealed and it takes literally less than 3-4 minutes to fill all of your batteries.

My coach is always plugged in and used on average of once a month. As "flaggship1" stated, the batteries, when being used all the time, use up water. I have six 6 volt batteries that I fill about every other month. The six take anywhere from one to two pints each time. I just did it about 30 minutes ago. I grabbed my jug of distilled water, the squeeze bulb and took under 3 minutes to top off the water. It took longer to get the water out of my shed than to fill the six batteries.

Someone even called the system a gimmick.....Even if you have batteries on a slide tray and can easily get to everyone, you still have to unscrew 12 -18 caps on a 4-6 battery system, then carefully fill to the line, while being careful of getting battery acid on your hands and clothing. There is just no argument to getting this system unless you just can't afford it!
+1. I just installed the Pro Fill system today. After using the pump to fill the batteries, I was wondering why I didn't have one of these before. On my previous 5th wheel, it was very difficult to check the 4 6V batteries. I cross connected the manifolds instead of just making a loop. I don't know if this works better, but it made sense to me. There was plenty of hose available.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0758.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	117141  
Old 01-23-2016, 06:07 PM   #52

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
+1. I just installed the Pro Fill system today. After using the pump to fill the batteries, I was wondering why I didn't have one of these before. On my previous 5th wheel, it was very difficult to check the 4 6V batteries. I cross connected the manifolds instead of just making a loop. I don't know if this works better, but it made sense to me. There was plenty of hose available.
Woot!
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 06:10 PM   #53

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Looks great Scott! Great mod and a wonderful job!
Lots of house power......
Old 01-24-2016, 01:24 PM   #54

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Looks great Scott! Great mod and a wonderful job!
Lots of house power......
Thank you. The increased capacity will not get tested until late March when we head to a couple races in AZ.
Old 01-24-2016, 01:59 PM   #55

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Checking/Filling Battery

Agree pro-fill system works very well. Even if the batteries are accessible it make the watering process so fast and easy. I content it will extend the life of batteries by making it more likely the battery maintenance will be regularly accomplished.

Our PA has two batteries that are simply not accessible otherwise.

Our Phaeton has a pull out tray for the batteries, which is great, but I still plan to install a watering system just for the added convenience.

I really like the modified tray to hold a couple more batteries. I see another future project.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 02:07 PM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
You were all very lively yesterday . Lots of ideas and potential solutions. I will need to churn through everything.

Joe, Your battery filler from Amazons is too big, we have very little clearance and Dan, we have been in contact with Morryde and other slideout mfgs. None fit our MH. We even looked into custom and way to pricey.
Hi, I was wondering if you ever found a solution to your battery problem. I also have NAPA 8231's and cannot find an automated fill system that fits the battery watering holes.

Tags
battery