RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2017, 06:39 PM   #15

I saw the mileage too, and thought that it seemed to be a well-used coach.

That's good and bad. The Ford V-10 in that rig is good for well over 200K miles if properly taken care of. It's definitely better for the tires to be driven vice sitting.

Look for signs that the owners take care of their rig. That could be oil change reminder stickers on the windshield or obvious modifications and improvements (CHF, Safety Steer, rear track bars, etc). You can tell by looking at the little things that break on any RV - door latches and hinges, AC and heat grilles, and plumbing fixtures. If they've been kept up, then there is a good chance the owner spent money and time on upkeep.

I wouldn't let the mileage worry you too much. We bought our 2006 Class A Winnebago Sightseer from PPL in Cleburne. It was a tossup between that unit and a 2007 Damon Daybreak. They both had nearly identical floor plans, but the Winnie had 74K miles versus the 19K on the Damon. In the past I would have surely picked the lower mileage, but when you looked at the Winnie and saw the Banks Power Pack installed (intake and exhaust), the Blue Ox Tru-Center and the brand new radiator it pushed the DW and I to the unit that was a year older and had over triple the miles. Of course the difference in build quality helped with the decision too (wired for second AC, real wood cabinets, double-pane windows).

Dealing with PPL was a good experience for us. I will say one thing though - we traveled down to the New Braunfels lot and were disappointed. We felt that the lot was poorly organized, crowded, and the units they had on consignment there were generally of much lower quality than what we had been shopping at their Cleburne location. Judging by the pictures, it looks like they may have added some pavement and sorted the units out a little better.

Good luck with your RV search.

DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2017, 07:29 PM   #16

As someone above stated, PPL does know how to make the units they have look good. I've been to the Houston store a few times and almost every trip was a waste because the unit we were interested in was in worse shape than the pictures showed. There are definitely some good ones but they usually come with the higher price tag on them. Being only 6 years old, hopefully the unit you're looking at is a good one!

On the floor plan, make sure you can get around in the motorhome when the slides are in. For instance, you don't want access to the bathroom blocked by retracted slides. A biggie for me is to look for water entry. Look for stains on the ceiling, peeling or bubbling wall paper, anything that looks fishy. Be sure to look in the upper cabinets. Get on the roof and make sure the caulk looks good, no cracked fixtures, etc,,,.

Oh, we have been traveling with our little one since she was about a month old. We have the dinette in ours which made it easy to properly use the car seat to face her backwards when she was younger. We moved her to the opposite seat (facing forward) when she got older. We always felt comfortable because she was always fastened into her car seat.

Old 09-28-2017, 08:30 PM   #17

Smells, smells and smells. When you walk in if it smells musty or mildewy then walk right back out and go home. That smell is from water getting in somewhere and a lot of preowned coaches have it (from what I’ve seen anyway).

Good luck.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:07 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wbonsell View Post
WOW, that's a lot of mileage for a 6 year old coach - gas or diesel! S
We put 15,000 miles a year on ours. It all depends on your travel habits. A couple of trips cross country each year puts on a lot of miles.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 04:26 PM   #19

Anyone have any experience with the Good Sam Extended Service Plan?

Would it be good for at least the first year for an inexperienced owner?
Old 09-30-2017, 06:02 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgillotti View Post
Anyone have any experience with the Good Sam Extended Service Plan?

Would it be good for at least the first year for an inexperienced owner?

When I looked into them the cost WAY outweighed the benefit. And I’m a huge believer in extended warranties.

Tags
advice, class a