Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2012, 07:11 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Checkout & Warranty of Used MH???

In about 3 years we plan on selling our current truck and fifth wheel to upgrade. My wife will be retired and we can travel more. We are looking at two different options. One is a bigger (used) truck and fifth wheel which will cost about $75000 for both. The other one is finding a used MH for about the same cost. We will be wanting a gas rig and about 35' long. In all my years I have always bought new vehicles where I did not have to worry about breakdowns.

So my questions are do reputable (LazyDays for example) checkout their used MH's before they put them up for sale. Also are there any type of warranties on used MH's. For the same concern I do not want to get one that is over 5 years old if possible. Of course the ones I like the most are also the most expensive (Tiffen, Newmar, Winnabago, Fleetwood).

reubenray is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2012, 07:22 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hi Neighbor
First not sure how much they check out there used units. I am sure they check it to some degree. There are many coached out there you just need a check list of what you want in a floor plan. There are many places you can look, there a large place over in Houston area (PPl ) also many used coaches has extended warranty. The one i bought from a private owner had three years of extended warranty left on it. Use the internet to look and find a floor plan you and your spouse likes. You can always ask questions here and you will get so great advice. Good luck.

ajm12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:39 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
You will IMHO be happier if going 35 ft with a DP. You will find a good used 35 to 39 ft DP in your price range! As suggested do the Internet search, find the correct floor plan that you and DW like, have the coach inspected by a third party that is qualified, if any major problems the dealer or private seller will have to fix them in order to complete the sale. PPL is a consignment dealer, they offer a very limited inspection for about 400.00. Lazy days is a very competent dealership, also check LaMesa just one hour east of Sefner, in Sanford Fl. We traded our 03 Excursion at LaMesa for our present coach. Very good experience! BTW our 03 was purchased for 70 K put about 5 K to upgrade flat screens etc. Best of luck!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:19 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
My concern with a diesel is I know absolutely nothing about them at all except they cost more to maintain.
reubenray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:05 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
My concern with a diesel is I know absolutely nothing about them at all except they cost more to maintain.
I here your concerns voiced by many on this forum, gas vs. diesel cost of maintenance. Yes, it cost more to change the oil. However, filters are filters. I think you get my point. The advantages far out weigh the smaller maintenance cost. Ride, ease of handling on the interstate, crosswinds, room, but most importantly longevity. Example, I just had my yearly oil change on my Cummins 450 ISL. Total cost for full lubrication, oil, oil filters, fuel filters, air pressure check and proper inflation, $300.00. I venture to say a ford V 10 on a 33 ft. Class A weighing in at approx 25 K would save how much more ?
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:07 PM   #6

I can tell you from a dealer's perspective since I work at one that each dealership has their own "version" of a vehicle inspection. The smog and safety check is not a vehicle inspection. With a used MH purchase, I would highly recommend a service warranty, but then it is on you to do your homework and make sure you are buying a "service warranty" and not a Product Warranty" or a "MBI-Mechanical Breakdown Insurance". The service warranty will offer you a specific level of coverage, so read it all!. If you buy an "exclusionary" policy, this will have a list of exclusions and if it isn't listed in there, that means it IS covered. This is the closest thing to a bumper to bumper type policy.

I'm happy to give you a quote if you wanted one, but really I just wanted to make sure you ask a lot of questions. They should be A rated with the BBB, have been in business at least 20 years, ask about their policy on using new parts and the shipping of parts, ask about their trip interuption benefits and what their towing max pay out is. These are all places that even decent companies try to cut corners.

Good luck and happy RVing.