Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2020, 05:58 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgum13 View Post
CBBT's height restriction of 13'6" takes me out of transiting that route as my max height sits at 14'5", I round it off to 15' for good measure.
With the exception of two states, the information I find online shows a height restriction of 13'6" in the eastern half of the continental US and 14'0" in the western half.

If you are 14'5", how do you deal with being over the usual height restriction?
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2020, 06:38 AM   #72

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalzerJ View Post
I last went through many years ago in a 37 foot Pace Arrow. My understanding is that it is against the law to take propane tanks (even those with their valves closed) through the tunnel. PERIOD. In recent years the police have decided not to enforce the rule against propane tanks going through the tunnel. As far as I know the law remains unchanged, and police could begin to enforce the law again at any time. I saw police cars (and they saw me) when I last went through the tunnel. It might be an idea to call the tunnel authority for a more recent ruling. I don't know what the size limits are but they must be published and available.
You can these days.
http://www.cbbt.com/travel-information/recreational-vehicles/
DurangoNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 07:01 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurangoNick View Post
I am going to have to dispute (in a good way) your comparison between those two routes. I am from Durango, CO, and have done 550 all the way up to Montrose and back a number of times. I would not do it in my Bounder come hell or high water. However, went across the Bay Bridge Tunnel with a toad and it was no problem.
I too have done both - Love Both - Have Kids and Grand Kids in Colorado so Love it and visit Often - We have a Family House at the Beach on the Shore - would Love to have one in the San Juan's - Near the Million Dollar Highway as it is in and around that Beautiful Ocean of Mountains, you call the San Juan's.

Long and Short, both are Options that are Available to the Traveler - Educate yourself and Stay in Your Comfort Zone

Love Both of those drives and all that is in and around them - Couple of Images that I can relate to;
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2393.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	282.0 KB
ID:	272026   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2378.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	288.9 KB
ID:	272027  

Click image for larger version

Name:	80lvp5u.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	278.9 KB
ID:	272028   Click image for larger version

Name:	Million-Dollar-Highway - SNow covered.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	272029  

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:16 AM   #74

Quote:
CBBT's height restriction of 13'6" takes me out of transiting that route as my max height sits at 14'5", I round it off to 15' for good measure.
Hello,
I think you measured incorrectly or have bad information. DOT height stipulates max height of 13'6". Not sure of any RV manufacture that would even consider or receive a DOT approval for a height above this. It doesn't make sense.

I just made this trip a month ago and no issues.
Old 01-12-2020, 12:16 PM   #75

tfryman and Busskipper thanks for the data quoted. DurangoNick, lenny-shawna and other folks, the source of the information I stated reference the height measurement of my MH is an OEM sticker on the upper portion of my driver side mirror which stated: "Speed Limit: 65mph; Clearance: 14ft". The measurements I stated earlier were incorrect, per this sticker, my clearance is 14ft and not 14.5ft, I stand corrected.

Now, I also just checked the brochure for my MH and in the technical data section, under 2006 37PBD W22 Chassis Measurements it gives the following information: "Wheelbase: 242"; Overall length: 37'4"; Overall height (with A/C) (add 5" for Satellite option): 12'6"; Interior height: 84"; Interior width: 94.5"; Exterior width: 100.5".

So, here is the source of perhaps confusion and incredulity. Now with this added information as presented above perhaps the head-chopping machetes can be placed back in their sheaths and constructive data can be provided as to one measurement or the other mentioned. Maybe this op can catch a long enough break to find his chopped off head and place it back on my shoulders where it feels much more comfortable.
corgum13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 12:25 PM   #76

Quote:
tfryman and Busskipper thanks for the data quoted. DurangoNick, lenny-shawna and other folks, the source of the information I stated reference the height measurement of my MH is an OEM sticker on the upper portion of my driver side mirror which stated: "Speed Limit: 65mph; Clearance: 14ft"...
My guess is that you're seeing a safety sticker put on by the manufacturer which is intended to give you a room to spare. Always a good idea since not all bridge markings are 100% accurate, especially if the road has been resurfaced.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 03:25 PM   #77

I don't care what the documentation, stickers, salesman, or anyoune else says. MEASURE IT YOURSELF and then you know. If you don't want to do that, I have a bridge I'd like to sell you in Brooklyn...CHEAP.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 03:39 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
I don't care what the documentation, stickers, salesman, or anyoune else says. MEASURE IT YOURSELF and then you know. If you don't want to do that, I have a bridge I'd like to sell you in Brooklyn...CHEAP.
Oh man, I got many bridges already but none in Brooklyn, darn. If I weren't tapped out on bridges, I would've snatched yours in a heartbeat.
corgum13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 04:41 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalzerJ View Post
I last went through many years ago in a 37 foot Pace Arrow. My understanding is that it is against the law to take propane tanks (even those with their valves closed) through the tunnel. PERIOD. In recent years the police have decided not to enforce the rule against propane tanks going through the tunnel. As far as I know the law remains unchanged, and police could begin to enforce the law again at any time. I saw police cars (and they saw me) when I last went through the tunnel. It might be an idea to call the tunnel authority for a more recent ruling. I don't know what the size limits are but they must be published and available.

Completely false, we have been through there over two dozen times since 2002, with our trailer and motorhome. Just need to have the tanks closed. The Baltimore tunnel has the restriction of no tanks.
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:11 AM   #80

traveled cbbt system with 32 ft winnie and single axle enclosed trailer with no problems. On a side note they had the tunnels closed for a short period of time for cleaning and I happened to have my unicycle with me. I must surly be the only person to have ridden a unicycle on the bridge system!
dirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 08:52 PM   #81

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbiker View Post
traveled cbbt system with 32 ft winnie and single axle enclosed trailer with no problems. On a side note they had the tunnels closed for a short period of time for cleaning and I happened to have my unicycle with me. I must surly be the only person to have ridden a unicycle on the bridge system!

Surprised they let you.

Reminds me of my youth. I haven't been on one of those on nearly 40 years. That sounds strange even saying it.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote