Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2012, 05:44 PM   #1

Chevy 454

Bought a '94 Rexhall 34' class A with a 454 Throttle Body fuel injection. I am not very familiar with that engine. Seems like most people have the Ford and not the Chevy.

Looking for some comments from people that have the 454 TBI. Durability, best rpm to run, any quirks I should now about, and anything else you can think of.

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2012, 07:08 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have one in the 99 Damon I bought a few months ago...only a few hundred miles on it before winter storage but so far I'm happy with it for power and drivability...

Good luck with yours and congrats on the new motohome!

Old 01-23-2012, 07:17 PM   #3

I think the throttle body injection was the first step past the carburator engines and was then replaced by the port injection in the Vortec engines. That said, I put 115,000 miles on a 1983 carburated 454, and now have a 1999 454 Vortec which runs fine. The Ford vs Chevy debate will never be resolved but, as I understand, urban legend has that the Chevy engines get somewhat better gas mileage than the Ford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpoint View Post
Bought a '94 Rexhall 34' class A with a 454 Throttle Body fuel injection. I am not very familiar with that engine. Seems like most people have the Ford and not the Chevy.

Looking for some comments from people that have the 454 TBI. Durability, best rpm to run, any quirks I should now about, and anything else you can think of.

Thanks
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:26 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
454s are alil weak in "stock" form. Headers, 3.5" exhaust, cold air intake, and a tune from TBI CHIPS will give you about 70hp/50lb ft of needed power. A spacer on the throttle body will help some too if you have enough room.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:43 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpoint View Post

Thanks
Maybe this will help: 1992 454 TBI Roller Engines: Factory Specifications | eHow.com

OR, you can use any search engine to find lots of similar sites online.
ED
Old 01-23-2012, 09:58 PM   #6

I have the carb version in an 86 Winnie 27 fter. I live in the hills of Pa and it surprised me how well it is on hills. Plenty of power for pulling 12,000lbs. I have owned Chevy and Fords and the motors don't seem to be the problem I have, it's with the electrical systems. I've never owned a Ford that didn't have something electrical quit.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:52 PM   #7

Have a 1990 coachmen 27 ft with 454 Chevy, 12300 GVWR, can I put a ford focus on a dolly and be within weight limits? What is answer? Do I have to go
weigh the MH, then see how much the focus weighs? Does dolly need brakes?
Help !!
Old 01-23-2012, 11:49 PM   #8

454s do have exhaust manifold issues from excessive heat. My last 454 went through 7 manifolds prior to changing the engine T stat to a 160. After that never had a manifold issue. The engine ran perfect and had no ill effects due to the colder T stat. Even the mpg stayed the same...BUT>>.......once outside temps got to 50...mpg did drop(engine didnt warm enough to go into closed loop operation) and the heater was poor.

If you dont plan to use the RV in the cold months....this may be something to consider.

Besides that...the 454 served me well.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283 View Post
454s do have exhaust manifold issues from excessive heat. My last 454 went through 7 manifolds prior to changing the engine T stat to a 160. After that never had a manifold issue. The engine ran perfect and had no ill effects due to the colder T stat. Even the mpg stayed the same...BUT>>.......once outside temps got to 50...mpg did drop(engine didnt warm enough to go into closed loop operation) and the heater was poor.

If you dont plan to use the RV in the cold months....this may be something to consider.

Besides that...the 454 served me well.

See I never had any problems but I will say the engine doesn't warm up alot. I turned the heater on and the air wasn't warm enough to even feel it. Mine has dual electric fans plus the stock engine clutch fan. I get great mileage in mine for the hills of Pa. I figures 11mpgs and it was fully loaded. I'm not complaining or changing anything on the motor other than fluids once a year. I also noticed it has regular fan belts but a serpentine belt on the alternator. I don't know if thats stock or not.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:53 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Xpoint, if she starts smoking like a diesel, change the coolant temperature sensor. This cost me a lot of money because I didn't know.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:29 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283 View Post

l.
not sure why you chose a 160 thermostat... but heat is heat.you wont notice a 20 or even 40 drop in thermostat temp.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:34 PM   #12

TBI is OBD1 not OBD2. You may have difficulty finding a OBD scanner that will read your ECM. Even so, my older Actron 9145 scanner does read my 92 Chevy Lumina OBD1 system so you may be in luck. Are there ways to adapt a laptop to read OBD 1 codes? Yes, but a little to involved for here (had to do this for my 93 lumina van to read ABS codes as the Actron unit does not read ABS codes).

You need to determine what year chassis actually is. Many coach mfg's placed current year coach (i.e 1992) on previous year chassis (i.e 1991). Once you know the chassis year (from GM chassis VIN #) then you need to get the manuals (Chevrolet Light Duty Truck).

1993: eBay: 1993 chevy,chevrolet light truck manual

1994: 1994 chevy,chevrolet light truck manual | eBay

There are 4 manuals
Shop (General Service)
Unit Repair (component overhaul; Alternator, transmission, etc.)
Fuel and Emmisions
Wiring

Make sure you get the ones for the P3 series chassis. There are ones for C/K and S-10 pickups so be careful what you get.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:57 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
I have a '454' Chev. 34' 1988 heavy camper, pulling a Buick Park Avenue on
a toter and there's not many RVs on the road that could pass her, if I didn't
want them to.( Same engine basely as 8+Liter)(it doesn't like to pass gas stations)
Now I have a 2000 38 foot pulling the same load with the Ford V10, less cubic
inches than the 454, have to keep RPMs higher.(almost same mileage) I would, at
this point be more than happy to see a 454 take the V10s place. But...I'll live
with the V10, Being retired, why hurry. (the V10 is much quieter) 454 uses
Stainless Steel instead of cast iron exhaust manifolds, which radiate engine noise.
(newer V10s have 3 valve heads, produce more power) anyone have any experience reprogramming computer clips for older two valve V10s?)
gs50315@juno.com
Old 01-24-2012, 08:16 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The 454 is a beast. The TBI was better than the Qudrajet carbed engines as for general run ability. In stock form, the exhaust manifold were prone to cracking. The engines respond well to headers and larger low restriction exhaust systems.

Ken