Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2013, 11:43 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Chevy 454 alternator replacement

Brought 30 ft southwind home from storage and had to jump start. Battery did not charge while driving home(10 miles).
Recovering from upper resperitory infection and can't do much to see what it takes to replace alternator. Can't see under hood or engine cover inside mh.
Can someone tell me if this is going to be a big ticket item when i take it in to service to replace alternator?

Thanks
tom
RVTOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2013, 12:02 PM   #2

It might be a little pricey. Do you know the mec.? Some times it is hard to get to in the engine bay and they put a big alt. in MH's. Most charge around $100 a hr so 2 hrs labor $150 or more for the alt. You might need new belts!

Don
Old 04-10-2013, 03:02 PM   #3

Almost all shops will have a "Flat rate" book that specifies what to charge for many services and, regardless of the actual time needed, will charge this rate. If you have a shop in mind to replace the alternator, just ask for a quote. Assuming the engine cover van be easily removed, I don't think the time should be over one hour. Of course, some RV shops are charging $100 / $125 per hour. A rebuilt high Amp alternator will be around $250, so my guess for total cost should be around $350 - $400.

However, if you are at all handy and when you recover, you can replace the alternator yourself. It's not that difficult. The alternator is on the upper passenger side front of the engine and can be removed with simple tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVTOM View Post
Brought 30 ft southwind home from storage and had to jump start. Battery did not charge while driving home(10 miles).
Recovering from upper resperitory infection and can't do much to see what it takes to replace alternator. Can't see under hood or engine cover inside mh.
Can someone tell me if this is going to be a big ticket item when i take it in to service to replace alternator?

Thanks
tom
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:06 PM   #4

I'm not sure 10 miles would be enough to recharge a dead battery. Put it on a charger and get a full charge, then check with a multi-meter to see where the amps are. Should read at least 12.5 or higher. If not replace the battery and when in storage disconnect the ground cable so it won't draw the battery dead. You have a parisite draw, not uncommon, and until you find it keep the negative post off while stored.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:40 PM   #5

Tom,
When you drove it home did you have a warning light? If not, Arnold may be right. The easiest way for you to check is to connect a voltmeter to your chassis battery with the engine running. If the alternator is charging, your voltmeter should show greater than 14 volts. If your voltmeter shows less than 12.6 volts with the engine running you could have corroded connections between the battery and alternator or your alternator may actually be bad.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:45 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
RVTOM: I changed my alternator on my 454 twice, no problem. Take off the doghouse, about 25 screws. Remove the unit from inside, and take to OReillys or Autozone to see if it's any good. If you can get it rebuilt locally, it might be better. Otherwise, order a new one. I think I used a long extension to reach the adjustment bolt to tighten the belt, otherwise use a ratchet from inside. It was an easy replacement. Eddie Elk.
eddieelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:34 PM   #7

If the MH ran the whole ten miles I would have to say that alt. is working just fine and your battery is Dead. I would replace the battery first.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:42 PM   #8

Your alt. also powers the electrical components for the engine to run. So if alt. was bad you would start to slowly loose important engine sustaining elements
Old 04-11-2013, 05:43 AM   #9

My 1984 can be removed from the passenger wheel well on top not hard
whem2fish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:01 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks, if it ever stops raining here in Michigan I will check the alternator output with my battery charger and try to charge batterey.
RVTOM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
454, alternator, replacement