Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2011, 08:21 PM   #1

Unhappy Child Safety Seat Question

Hopefully someone has some experience with this. My wife and I just bought (yesterday) our first Class A RV, a 2008 Hurricane. Through our research, we never really asked the question about where to properly secure our 2 year old (dealer said "lots of people use car seats in them" & we left it at that- not realizing there is no place to put her in a forward facing position in her car seat!). We both are really excited about choosing the Class A route, but can't think of doing anything that will put our daughter at risk.
Our particular unit (30Q) has a swivel type chair directly behind the co-pilot that will turn straight, but leaves absolutely no room between the two seats and is impossible to tighten the seat belt as it should be on the car seat. The dinette has no seat belts at all & the couch faces sideways (which is against everything we read about the car seat). Are there any replacement seats that may have the car seat latches & is there any way to install it with more "leg room" between the new seat and co-pilot when facing forward?
If anyone has experience with this or knows of a source that I could contact, it would REALLY be appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2011, 08:29 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm sorry to hear that your dealer mislead you on the seat belt question. The only solution I can think of is to have lap and shoulder belts installed on the forward facing dinning seats if that is possible

Old 07-06-2011, 08:31 PM   #3

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Check this site http://car-safety.org/
Make sure to look at the link for local and National Events for free info
I have our state traffic safety resource office coming next month to certify 12 folks at work in proper installation and safety techniques. The installer needs to evaluate your seatbelt positions before they can provide a safe solution. Most fire stations and local LEO offices have staff that are certified in these techniques.
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:56 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
We installed many seatbelts for customers. The belts are available at Advance Auto Parts. Make sure you bolt them through the floor.Never attach them to furniture.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:53 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have you found a solution to your seat belt problem?
Old 07-10-2011, 08:24 PM   #6

We did, I appreciate all of the help. I feel incredibly stupid- I has assumed the dinette was not set up for passenger travel at all because the rear facing portion has a sticker that reads "no passengers", I looked under the forward facing portion and there are already two lap belts installed, bolted through the floor and wall in four places on a strong metal rod, we tried the car seat on it today and it worked great.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:28 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That is good. Here's to many years and miles of memories in your RV
Old 09-24-2011, 01:30 PM   #8

Winnebago VIA & child safety

How do we equip our 2011 VIA with safe child seating for a 3 month old? It has the 2 front seats and a side facing sofa.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:38 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacScot
How do we equip our 2011 VIA with safe child seating for a 3 month old? It has the 2 front seats and a side facing sofa.
I would suggest checking with your local police to see what they would suggest for a safe location for your baby's rear facing car seat. You may have to have extra seat belts or a baby car seat latch points professionally installed to ensure your baby will be safe when travelling.
If your VIA has a dinette seat that may be acceptable location.
Pat

Tags
safety