Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2019, 08:04 PM   #1

Choices choices help?

Hi all. We are moving up like George and Wheezy! It’s diesel pusher time. I have narrowed it down to a few choices and would really appreciate comments good or bad. Can’t learn enough before pulling the trigger. We will be full time and towing a 5k total weight load consisting of a Jeep Cherokee ( that cant be flat towed ) on a lightweight car hauler trailer.

So my 3 choices are all very good condition older Rigs with good service records, decent miles, and within budget and quality standards. All have the Allison 6 speed. All are simply amazing inside and would be awesome for full time living.

1) 37 ft Beaver Trenton 330 cat year 1997
2) 33 ft Beaver Monterey 300 cat year 1996
3) 36 ft Country Coach Allure 330 Cummins 1999 only one with a slide out.

The Trenton is so far number 1 on my list due to many improvements and features. It only has 38k though so I’m wondering if it had been run enough? Plus it’s longer than I’m used to coming from a 30 footer. The others are not much more. Not as familiar with Cummins so is that year good or bad for that brand? Both the other coaches have mid 70k mileage.

Thank you all!

Mr. Nomad ( Vince to my friends )
X-RayNomad67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2019, 07:12 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Slides are usually a big seller, and I'd sorta lean that way. But make sure the rig useable with the slide in. Can you open the fridge with the slide in? Can you get to the lav with the slide in? What exactly can you NOT do with the slide in, and can you live with that?
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:39 AM   #3

If you are going to buy one of the non slide rigs be sure to buy it right.
Not sure how the 33' coaches ride and handle.
Many of the Country Coaches of that vintage had clear coat peeling issues from the factory. You will see more of these coaches for sale that have been re painted.
Don't think you can fix this correctly without spending serious $. Other than that I think the CC Allure is a great coach.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:16 PM   #4

Country coach sold in a day and I didn’t have a chance lol
X-RayNomad67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 12:32 PM   #5

I'd be looking at the weight ratings of all of those pretty close. More than a few DPs out there that can't tow the weight you're looking at.
Deep Water D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 07:28 PM   #6

I’m feeling like I need to go as short as I can. I’m a bit intimidated by the 40 ft sizes and with the trailer hauling the Jeep it’s even longer. If I could find a 30 foot diesel pusher that is not wicked expensive I’d be happy, but they are rare from what I see. The Beaver Monterey is about perfect. I really love the Trenton tho. Sheesh. This is hard. The old Trek ones would be great if I could tow with it. Sigh. My lady loves the Trenton but she doesn’t have to drive it!
Old 08-17-2019, 02:31 AM   #7

I wouldn’t get hung up (Pun intended) on the 37’ worried about the length long as it has the capacity to haul your stuff plus your jeep and trailer.

Once you put a few miles under your belt you’ll never know the difference driving it.
Old 08-17-2019, 05:46 AM   #8

I would trade the Jeep, I wouldn't want to base my "home" on the car.
Ernie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 09:09 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Good chance the 33 has a large weight up front to try and make it handle only OK plus it only has a 5K hitch. Length is your friend when towing a trailer.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 12:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
Good chance the 33 has a large weight up front to try and make it handle only OK plus it only has a 5K hitch. Length is your friend when towing a trailer.
I have a similar coach as the 33 Monterey. I am not sure the frames are the same, mine has a 8 airbag magnum chassis and that one is either on an 8 or 4 airbag chassis. I am not totally sure, but that would be easy enough to verify.
That big weight up Front on mine is the 420 pound Onan quiet diesel generator on a slide.
My coach handles better than OK, but I do have new air bags, shocks, tires, strut rods, >>>>, you get the idea. I do wish I had more than the 5000 pound tow rating, but I can work with it. Just need to keep the tow vehicle on the lighter side.
Looking at the hitch, it is very heavy duty and capable of handling more. I am sure that they made the rating conservative, but I will stick to the rating. It is also hard to find older MH's that have higher tow ratings. 5000 lbs was quite common. In those days most people towed lighter than today, or just ignored the rating. Now it is not uncommon to see 10K or even 20k tow ratings.
Condition is everything on these older coaches. Just being that old all rubber needs replacing if it has not already been done. If you find a diamond in the rough you might want to go for it. 33 footers are hard to find, but they are out there. Beaver, Safari, Monoco, and Foretravel all had coaches in that general length.
crb478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 04:42 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-RayNomad67 View Post
Country coach sold in a day and I didn’t have a chance lol
Can you share the listed price on this sold rig?
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 09:32 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
The 96 33’ has a propane generator mounted in the rear...a far cry from a Patriot with a diesel generator up front.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
The 96 33’ has a propane generator mounted in the rear...a far cry from a Patriot with a diesel generator up front.
I did not realize that, and can see where it might make a handling difference. I have also heard that the 4 airbag system does not ride as well as the 8. Good information to have before buying.
crb478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 11:39 PM   #14

The ad is gone for the CC and I don’t remember sorry