Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2012, 04:30 PM   #1

Choosing a tire replacement...

I have just bought a Holiday Rambler Vacationer and it has Bridgestone's from 2005 on it. I want to replace, but Bridgestone's would be $3100 OTD and the OHTSU's are $2226 OTD. I can get Michelin XZE's at $2740 OTD. I was told by the tire guy that the Michelin's would ride better and be quieter. My only wonder is could you really tell a difference?
Trying to make a decision. Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2012, 04:43 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
You'll get 1000 different opinions..

Go with what you and your gut tells you...

Old 02-01-2012, 09:17 PM   #3

I can say that I replaced the Goodyear G670s with Michelin XZA2 Energy tires. The difference in ride is truly astonishing. The interstate through Spokane used to make me feel ill, and I drive it every year. Same crappy road, new tires, hardly noticed.

Can't speak for the other tires, but the tire guys told me that I would like the Michelins better, but I didn't believe them until I had the back to back experience.

Worth looking into the fleet deal through FMCA.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:22 PM   #4

Since you don't tell us where you're located, my input may not apply. In the Western states, we have a tire dealer network call Les Schwab. Their service is good enough for me to accept higher prices than the other guys, but they do a pretty good job on prices too.

We've been customers of theirs for 25 years or more. When we bought our signtaure MH in the early summer of 2010, it still had the original Goodyears from the chassis date of 2000. I went to our local Schwab store and the manager, without me specifically asking, went through the regional warehouse inventory to find the newest tires they had.

He found a set of six that were only 6 weeks from their manufacture date. We have 19.5" wheels and a set of 6 tires, with dynamoc balancing and new stainless steel stems was about $2300. They threw in a front end alignment as part of the deal.

I've been a Schwab customer for about 25 years, but have no connection with the company except as a very saisfied customer.

BTW, the tires were Toyos, a Schwab "house" brand. They ride much better than the GY's. They can't hide the fact that the F53 is an 11-ton truck chassis, but they're pretty good. I'm sure they'll outlive my RVing career!
Old 02-01-2012, 09:40 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
BTW, the tires were Toyos, a Schwab "house" brand. They ride much better than the GY's. They can't hide the fact that the F53 is an 11-ton truck chassis, but they're pretty good. I'm sure they'll outlive my RVing career!
Toyos are not a Les Schwab "house brand", the model you have might be though.
When I replaced my Michelins I tried Schwab but they were out of the size I needed with no idea when more would be in. I went to an industrial truck tire place and got a little better deal and again, no idea when they would be available. I did have to wait a month or so but when they came in they were only a few weeks old. The rear 275/70's were available but the front 305/70's were the problem.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:38 AM   #6

I am in Merritt Island, Florida so Les Scwab would be too far. Hard to listen to a tire salesman so I opted to listen to RV owners with the experience of having driven on the various tire choices. Thanks!
Old 02-02-2012, 08:14 AM   #7

You can get a big discount on Michelin's by going thru the FMCA advantage program. For me it is about $150/ tire discount.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:38 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On our last coach I went from Michelin to Firestone and really couldn't tell any difference at all. On this coach I just replaced Michelin with Michelin. Seemed like every comparison price that I got was not that far off from the Michelin price so I just kept the same brand.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:24 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I found a great price on Michelins XRV 235/80/ 22.5 @ Costco $375.00 per---had them installed at a tire shop (Les Schwab) was told by installer I paid $10. less per tire than they could get them their cost. State and excise taxes added about 12% to my deal. Do not have my receipts right here (I'm traveling- yipee) but reconstructing the deal it was around $2,800 for everything for six. The tires were two weeks old when I received them. MIght be worth a check with Costco.

The FMCA deal frustrated me before I reached critical mass---maybe it is just me but it was a vague offer at best-----maybe I'm just slow. I hear good things from others ---but I still have no idea what the price was going to be.

I'm happy with my choice Michelins serve me well my originals were ten years old and still looked really good coming off-----but ten years is plenty.

Your price sounds good---and personnaly I would not hesitate to go with Michelins.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:42 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Hi tluehrs,
I have XZE on my coach. 80K+ and 7 years they remain in great shape. I'll most likely get 10 years out of them. I will buy the same tire again. (If available)
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:13 AM   #11

The GYs that came on my MH had 15k on them and looked almost new. I put toyos on and the ride improved. Same tire pressure too.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:26 PM   #12

We bought a Diplomat new Goodyears. Concrete roads you felt every joint 34,000 we switched to Michelins tremendous difference. FMCA sounds like the best deal on tires.
CHCam42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:35 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
As has been said here, everyone has their opinion. I would not buy a Firestone/Bridgestone on a bet. This is the company that made the Firestone OEM Detroit iron tires in the '70's that were trash and they never admitted the failures were because of the tire. And Firestone made the tires on the Ford Explorers that rolled when the tires failed. And it was a Bridgestone on my CRV this past Sunday that had a tread separation (surprise) that forced me to change a tire on the road. No way. Never again. I swear, if I had a flat right in front of a Firestone dealership, I would call road service.

Just my opinion (and experience). My beef with Firestone is not specifically with the tires. Any manufacturer can make a bad tire. But Firestone corporate policy is to deny responsibility.

Again, one man's opinion.

ronspradley
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:46 PM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
As has been said here, everyone has their opinion. I would not buy a Firestone/Bridgestone on a bet. This is the company that made the Firestone OEM Detroit iron tires in the '70's that were trash and they never admitted the failures were because of the tire. And Firestone made the tires on the Ford Explorers that rolled when the tires failed. And it was a Bridgestone on my CRV this past Sunday that had a tread separation (surprise) that forced me to change a tire on the road. No way. Never again. I swear, if I had a flat right in front of a Firestone dealership, I would call road service.

Just my opinion (and experience). My beef with Firestone is not specifically with the tires. Any manufacturer can make a bad tire. But Firestone corporate policy is to deny responsibility.

Again, one man's opinion.

ronspradley
The problem was not with the tires, it was with Ford for specifying pressures that were too low for the load.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement