Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-27-2014, 07:04 AM   #1

Choosing camera system

I replaced the B&W single-camera backup system on my previous coach with a color 4-cam system--(2) rear and (2) side cams. Two in the rear to see both toad and longer view at same time. System worked OK and side cams were useful, though no replacement for carefully looking in the mirrors.

My only complaint was that the cams seem to lack much auto-brightness control. When set satisfactorily for "normal" conditions, if the sun was behind me, the views were washed-out white. It seemed as if the cams lacked an automatic compensation for brightness, although ALL cams seem to advertise auto-brightness control. I meant to try an extended "hood" over the cams, but sold the coach before trying it.

When I look at the vast array of systems available, the specs seem nearly identical with few exceptions, and 99% of all cams seem to be made by Sony or Sharp. Prices, however, are all over the moon, with Voyager being far and away the highest, even though Voyager is made by a company known for cheap, throwaway consumer electronics commonly found at Wal-Mart and such.

Has anyone else experienced the "wash-out" problem? Can anyone point me to a source of technical information that might show a REAL technical difference between systems? Most of them seem only to show non-technical information aimed at non-technical consumers.

Also, has anyone found cams that have a lesser wide-angle view? In my experience, a vehicle coming up behind (or beside) you is a tiny speck even when they are about to come even with your coach.

Van W 2000 Dynasty 36 pulling one Harley
Eastern NC

Vanwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2014, 09:54 AM   #2
I went with rear view safety out of NYC. Great web site for them and very affordable . Never had a white out issue,but did get some halo when the sun hit it just right. Check out their website as I remember they have in house tech guys. I replaced my old b&w with their 3 color camera setup for about 3 or 400 a couple years ago and have had no issues with it.

meyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:12 AM   #3
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by meyr View Post
I went with rear view safety out of NYC. Great web site for them and very affordable . Never had a white out issue,but did get some halo when the sun hit it just right. Check out their website as I remember they have in house tech guys. I replaced my old b&w with their 3 color camera setup for about 3 or 400 a couple years ago and have had no issues with it.
When I had a a fifth wheel I talked to the guys at rear view safety. Their tech guys are a wealth of information. They know their business very well. When you compare systems look at the type of system and the specs some of the cheaper ones will have cheaper cameras. Rear safety had good prices for the better systems. I did not buy one of their systems. Just as I was getting ready to order it we found a great buy on a class A and traded in the fifth wheel. When I get ready to upgrade the camera system on the class A that is who I will go with.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 02:41 AM   #4
Hello from Dan.
I replaced my sony B&W with a chinese 7" color 2 channel with remote..
Used smoked plexiglass to make a nice fitting ring.
The display was about $35 and each camera was about $12.

total cost for display and acams less than $70.
much better display picture,
almost NO HEAT,
almost no amps.
may not last forever..
but at $70, I can replace the entire system several times for the cost of the others.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tv2.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	72558   Click image for larger version

Name:	k352-4-4740.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	72559  

Click image for larger version

Name:	k352-8-4740.jpg
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	72560   Click image for larger version

Name:	driver1.JPG
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	72561  

Dan Asbjornsen and Patty Chatman and Sadie the Wonder dog.
1995 Winnebago Vectra 35RQ Cummis 6BTA5.9 Allisn MD3060 6 speed. Spartan WC-2242 chassis
toad is 1986 "last of a bread" Jeep CJ7 Auto..
kb7uxe is offline   Reply With Quote