Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2014, 06:14 AM   #1

Choosing the right RV

I'm trying to decide between 2 RV
Class A diesel. 2005 holiday rambler ambassador with cummins diesel or a 2005 Thor Mandalay bay 38b with a Cat diesel. Any input would be appreciated.
RotnRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2014, 06:24 AM   #2

After having a diesel and a gas now, we much prefer the gas. The maintenance on a diesel is about twice (or more) than a gas. Ride on the diesel was a little better but the gas is good too. For me, I can work on the gas model if I had to, the diesel not so much. If we were going to do it again, we would get another gas coach.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:45 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSP1268 View Post
After having a diesel and a gas now, we much prefer the gas. The maintenance on a diesel is about twice (or more) than a gas. Ride on the diesel was a little better but the gas is good too. For me, I can work on the gas model if I had to, the diesel not so much. If we were going to do it again, we would get another gas coach.
I respectfully don't agree. I do most of my own work on my coach. This is the third dp. Cummins and Allison are hard to beat but that is just my opinion. Getting the fluids tested (I happen to use Blackstone labs) is a good way to know the condition of your rig. But, as a fulltimer I may have different requirements and expectations than you. I like the ride and features of a dp, though many gassers are very well appointed.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:41 PM   #4

After having a gasser for 14 years and now a diesel for a couple of months I would never go back to gas.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:46 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Oops, sorry. Post removed as it's not relevant!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:48 PM   #6

Thanks for input but my post was not about diesel vs gas. Both coaches are DP. Trying to decide between the 2 brands
RotnRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:58 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I had a CAT engine and had my share of issues. On thing to keep in mind is CAT no long makes on road engines so service of on road CAT engines is slowly declining and parts are getting more expensive and scarce. Not a deal breaker, but something to keep in mind
XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotnRose View Post
Thanks for input but my post was not about diesel vs gas. Both coaches are DP. Trying to decide between the 2 brands
I wouldn't touch a Thor.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
I wouldn't touch a Thor.

Sorry, but that comment is like saying that you wouldn't touch GM vehicles because you don't like a certain brand within the realm. Thor is a holding company that bought a lot of different brands/manufacturers, and it has very little to nothing to do with how they are put together.

The comment confuses would-be buyers.

I'll put my Mandalay up against all other mid-range MHs around, including HR. I'd also go with a Cummins over a CAT for reasons previously stated. Both coach brands the OP is considering are fine.

P.S. that said, I pulled the Thor stickers off of my coach and, oddly, never found a single "Four Winds" sticker on it. "Mandalay" is all that is on it.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:03 AM   #10

Sorry but after seeing all the problems and the way Thor treated my buddy with his Pallazo I wouldn't touch anything Thor. If your going to your name on it stand behind it. JMHO
Old 10-01-2014, 11:44 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I have read, on this forum, more negatives than positives concerning Thor products. Winnebago industries has it's problems but, for the most part, they work with the customer to resolve issues.

That said, as far as chassis is concerned I will repeat; Cummins/Alison and Freightliner and Onan for the generator. None are perfect but all have great reputations, and used even in the big money rigs. Customer service and parts availability are to be considered. When you buy a coach consider if the company has a good and functioning service line for you. Because I have had two Winne products I can speak directly to this about them. YES. Forest City, IA is available for service at the Winne facility or phone support. As far as other manufactures go? Others more familiar with them will need to comment.

Choose your brand wisely (as I see you are trying to do). Then pick the model/floor plan, year, etc. I drove 1200 miles to buy this coach. It is not without issues but we still love it.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:59 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I think that Thor today is not the Thor of 2005. I would be hard pressed to compare the Pallazo problems of today to what was produced back then.

I know the Holiday rambler should be pretty rock solid - you never hear too much about the 05 Mandalay. I would think some deep searching on this site and google directly on both models would prove useful to you.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 12:11 PM   #13

RotnRose, I don't know if this helps or not, but when we were down to two brands we were interested in, I spent hours on this site looking under the Owners Forum for the specific brands that I was interested in. What I compared was what problems each brand had, complaints from owners re getting them fixed, and how many owners were bashing their own brand either due to quality, service, warranty work, or how they were treated by the dealers or MFG customer service people, also how many people praised their brand vs the other. Once I did that it made my decision so much easier. Take your time looking and don't rush into anything it's alot of money to spend on whatever you buy...Good Luck
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 12:18 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
RotnRose, I don't know if this helps or not, but when we were down to two brands we were interested in, I spent hours on this site looking under the Owners Forum for the specific brands that I was interested in. What I compared was what problems each brand had, complaints from owners re getting them fixed, and how many owners were bashing their own brand either due to quality, service, warranty work, or how they were treated by the dealers or MFG customer service people, also how many people praised their brand vs the other. Once I did that it made my decision so much easier. Take your time looking and don't rush into anything it's alot of money to spend on whatever you buy...Good Luck
great! advice
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote