RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2019, 10:05 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Chose Goodyear 647s over 670s...

I bought the coach, 2010 Bay Star with 21,000 miles on it in Feb of this year, and it had the original Goodyear G670 tires from 2008 (the chassis year), and I finally got around to buying tires before my first trip next month. I looked at all the major brands and for a variety of reasons I wont go into here I kept coming back to Goodyear, so the choice was between 647s and 670s.

On the 647, I like the tread pattern, tread depth (5/32 deeper), M+S designation, side wall protection, and price (over $1300 less for 6), and the only thing the 670s had going for them was the RV designation, the seven year check/crack warranty, and the “long lasting UV resistant” rubber compounds.

The guys at the Goodyear comercial shop made the decision for me when they said the extra $220 each for the 670 was really just for the warranty and all Id be doing is paying in advance for potentially longer lasting tires.

Since they were talking me out of spending more I listened. Price wasn't a major factor (I also considered Bridgestone, Michelin, etc), but its always a consideration. And If I still have the coach in seven years I’ll be on my next set of tires anyway - I drive my RV about 15,000 miles/year.

So I thought Id share this and see what people think. I drive in all weather and dont always stay on pavement so that also influenced my decision.

R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2019, 11:28 AM   #2

I can't comment on Goodyear G670 or G674 RV tires. However, I can comments on Goodyear G661 HSA tires that were installed new on my first motorhome (a 2007 Damon Astoria). When I purchased that motorhome three years ago, it had OEM Michelin tires that had significant sidewall cracking. PPL Motorhomes (where I acquired the Damon) recommended the Goodyear G661 HSA tires due to 1) better availability vs. the G670 / G674 tires and 2) G661 were around $150 per tire cheaper price.

The G661 tires performed flawlessly during the three years that I owned the Damon Astoria. There was no harsh ride from the G661's and they handled wet and dry road conditions from the Texas Gulf Coast to the Hill Country with no problems.

Here is a link with more info about the Goodyear G661 HSA tires --> https://www.goodyeartrucktires.com/p...t_oct_2015.pdf

fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 11:44 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I fully agree with the guys at your tire shop. The G670 is just an overpriced product targeted at gullible RV owners. My last sets of tires were Continental HSR2's on the back and Toyo M144's on the front.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 04:29 PM   #4

"RV" tires are in the same category as RV toilet paper.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:01 PM   #5

You asked for thoughts, here is what I think. I agree you don't have to have a RV specific tire for a RV especially if you use it on a regular basis.

To be honest I have never had or known anyone that had great luck with RV specific tires or honestly any version of Goodyear's I have ever had with one exception of a set that were given to me, those actually worked pretty good until they aged out. My last set of G670's were terrible with way too much lateral runout.

Had good luck with most other top brands, basically every other recognizable brand has done what I asked of it reasonably well.

The Goodyear's I have owned mostly came on the vehicle when I bought it. Not that they were unsafe or blew out but I never seemed to get a set of 4 that ran true, balanced well or wore well and I'm talking on everything from full size blazers, 3/4 ton vans, P/U trucks, Jeeps to RV's ( never had many cars )
asuperheat is offline   Reply With Quote