Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-14-2011, 02:17 PM   #1
Smile Chrome hub caps

Does anyone know how to remove the chrome hub caps to get to the lug nuts without harming them? Also does anyone know what size the lug nuts are? It is a 2000 Damon Ultrasport, frieghtliner.

jjb4100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2011, 02:21 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Please post your rig's manufacturer, model, year, and chassis.

Adios, Dirk - '84 Real Lite Truck Camper, '86 Wilderness Cimarron TT, previously 4 years as a fulltimer in a '07 DSDP

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message, but millions of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:24 PM   #3
I agree, more info plz.
336muffin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:45 PM   #4
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you look at the chrome lug nut covers you will find probably 3 of them with indentations. Gently pry these 3 off and you will find 3 lug nuts that hold the wheel covers on. Remove the lug nuts and the wheel cover should slide off. As far as the size of the lug nuts I think they are 1 1/8" but it has been a while since I've taken mine off plus yours might be different since you have the Freightliner chassis.

Jon & Sue Francis (Retired U.S.A.F.)
Lil Girl-Rescued, Abby Rescued, Peaches Rescued
06 Allegro 35TSA Workhorse Chassis
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:29 PM   #5

Originally Posted by jjb4100 View Post
Does anyone know how to remove the chrome hub caps to get to the lug nuts without harming them? Also does anyone know what size the lug nuts are? It is a 2000 Damon Ultrasport, frieghtliner.
I'll give you the info that I've gathered on my 99DSDP F/L , I hope it helps . Dicor wheel trim, 2 covered nuts on oposite sides of the 8 nut center cap, identified by round indentations, in the flat sides, that the other 6 don't have. Once you remove, pull off, these 2 covers , the 1 9/16 nuts that retain the center cap come off, exposing the secondary retainers; also 1 9/16, remove them, dish portion can be removed. Wheel retaining lug nuts are 30 mm. I do not have the torque spec for these but having taken 22.5 wheels off the B-in-laws Workhorse , could be as high as 425 ft.lbs.. Call 1-800-FTL-HELP with you serial # for the spec and take the time to join www.AccessFreightliner.com visit
www.freightlinerchassis.com for lots of info, regarding your chassis's systems. 1-800-385-4357 .
99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:03 AM   #6
Originally Posted by jjb4100 View Post

Mine just pull off, sometimes you have to wiggle them a little to get started. There is a tool that looks like a pair of pliers with rubberized grippers that is available. I've never needed one.

When you get them off, it takes a lot of leverage to remove the lug nuts, they're torqued to 450 ft lbs.

The lug nuts are 33 mm, a 1-5/16" socket fits loosely but will work.
Denny, Connie & Shadow (former barn cat made good)
2000 Itasca Horizon, Cat 3126B, Freightliner Chassis
Martind4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:06 AM   #7
Winnebago Owners Club
On mine coach there are two choices. The lug covers can be threaded on the lugs few threads that extend beyond the lugnuts or they can be pressed on the outside of the nut. Both types can usually be purchased at well equipted truck stop stores. They sell two sizes or the press on's. Mine is 33mm. The thread on ones will not work as I do not have enough threads showing. If you have the thread on type you simply unscrew them. If you have the press on, as I do, I found them easy to remove using a channel lock pliers and rocking back and forth. I warn you that using this method may damage the surface if you grip to hard! When replacing the nut covers I am now using a bit of silicone sealer on each of the lug covers to insure they do not vibrate off while on bad roads. I have lost two covers and am getting tired of buying new!
Larry B, Luckiest Dreamer
Luckiest Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:54 AM   #8
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yet another kind of cover holder on my '04 Southwind on 19.5 wheels. There are two chrome covers with indents that are opposite each other. They are threaded onto the stud where it sticks through the wheel cover. They are supposed to be hand tight plus a little. Fleetwood provides a tool for achieving that "little" and also for removal. If you succeed in prying the cover off you will have created a $15 expense to replace the assembly (ask me how I know) If some jerk in a CW or other service area uses his air hammer to remove or to reinstall the cover you will be out $15 for each, again ask me how I know.

These are not readily available at truck stops, RV dealers CW. They generally need to be ordered.

Paul Rocking down the road in our '12 Phaeton 36QSH, (in service May 2012 ) We tow an '11 4 dr Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon - Read my blog at http://xctraveler.blogspot.com/ AKA RVM86
xctraveler is offline   Reply With Quote