Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2017, 08:15 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Chugging from a dead start on DP

We have a 2000 Damon Class A DP with a Cummins 275 HP diesel. 85k miles. The last couple of trips I’m noticing it takes longer to get going from a dead stop (stop light, etc). Add a hill or incline and it’s nerve racking. Little if any difference without the TOAD. Same on hills. Just seems like we are losing power. We keep it current on maintenance like oil change etc. Any advice from the forum?
psandoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2017, 08:20 PM   #2

If you have an exhaust brake , and are using it while coming to a dead stop , there may be a delay in the exhaust brake valve opening when you try to accelerate .
Try turning the exhaust brake off in town and see if there is any change in the issue.

Your 2000 5.9 Cummins is equipped with a VP-44 high pressure fuel injection pump and an electric lift pump that can also be an issue , but try the exhaust brake first.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:23 PM   #3

Have you changed the fuel filters recently? That is the first place I would start.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:35 PM   #4

My first coach had a 5.9/230 engine. I suspected that it had a faulty wastegate valve and was not building boost pressure at low speeds. At highway speed, the power was fine; that's why I suspect the wastegate valve.

That may not be your problem, but it might make sense to check it.

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 06:16 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
I don’t use exhaust brake in town, but having a look at the fuel injector pump might be worth a shot. I need to check my records whether the last PM included fuel filter. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:36 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Possibilities, in order of likelihood, include a dirty fuel filter, dirty air filter, a defective turbo-charger, or an exhaust brake stuck in or near the closed position.

Start by changing the fuel filter, even if it is not that old. It's the #1 suspect by far.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:57 AM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
A fellow RVer came into a park we were at, his rig chugging and his complaint much like yours.

Although his dash panel has a Water In Fuel warning light, it had burned out. He never noticed that most of his dash lights didn't light up during their test cycle at start up when turning the key. (all vehicles do this)

He also didn't know that his primary fuel filter had a water drain sump on the bottom of it. I crawled under his coach and showed him and we drained the filter while the motor was running. A gush of rusty water flowed out of the drain and once it was purged the coach's engine started to run smooth again.

This allowed him to get to a service shop to have the filters changed as well as have someone check his fuel tank which was loaded with debris. The shop was able to purge the tank and clean and treat it to remove the rust. It was a costly repair but cheaper than having to replace pumps and injectors.

Lesson he learned...use the coach more. Don't let it sit for months will little if any fuel in the tank and use fuel additives such as SeaFoam to keep your fuel system in optimal condition.
USA-RVNomads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:09 AM   #8

When the same thing happened to me it was the fuel filters full of gunk. Please let us know what it ends up being.
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:44 PM   #9

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
What is your boost gauge showing? It is possible this is a problem with the turbocharger, or a stuck waste gate.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:55 PM   #10

If you need a new pump, give Blue Diamond Diesel a look....Should have a code stored
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:41 PM   #11

One other thought. Does your Allison tranny have an economy mode? In economy, it shifts differently. And you don't get as much power.
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:13 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Possibilities, in order of likelihood, include a dirty fuel filter, dirty air filter, a defective turbo-charger, or an exhaust brake stuck in or near the closed position.

Start by changing the fuel filter, even if it is not that old. It's the #1 suspect by far.
Good advice and it seems consistent with others. Thanks.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by psandoz View Post
Good advice and it seems consistent with others. Thanks.
Could always add a fuel pressure gauge on the filter housing....mine has two ports on top...one on inlet side and one on outlet....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 10:47 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Thumbs up Clugging

Thanks to all the readers and great advice. When we get home next week first order of business is change the fuel filter and drain water in fuel. I'll keep the forum posted of progress.